Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

· Premium Member
347 Posts
Have a spray in bedliner (factory installed) and a Retrax ProMX retractable hard cover.

The cover helps with the aerodynamics on the highway. It also locks to protest (lol sorry I had to highlight this typo) stuff left in the bed.
Yea that's the one I want. But dayum... that is one hell of a price tag. I may reconsider. Always wanted one like it though. I suspect it won't be much cheaper when/if they make it for the new model Colorado's.

· Registered
2016 Diesel Colorado Crew Cab "Long" Box
7 Posts
I hate to admit it, but I am one of those truck guys who seldom carries anything in the bed of the truck. I typically have a soft tonneau installed, but when I order my next truck [probably a 2023 Colorado], I’m wondering whether I should pay for a bed liner when the bed never sees the light of day. What am I missing here? I own a truck because it’s the most efficient and cost-friendly way to tow my boat. It’s nice to be able to haul a lawn mower once in a while, or a chair when my daughter buys one at a garage sale, but realistically my “hauling” could be done with either of our other two vehicles. Bed liner or no?
I would DEFINITELY do the factory bed liner! Your bed and tailgate will still look like new when you go to sell it!

· Registered
2 Posts
I hate to admit it, but I am one of those truck guys who seldom carries anything in the bed of the truck. I typically have a soft tonneau installed, but when I order my next truck [probably a 2023 Colorado], I’m wondering whether I should pay for a bed liner when the bed never sees the light of day. What am I missing here? I own a truck because it’s the most efficient and cost-friendly way to tow my boat. It’s nice to be able to haul a lawn mower once in a while, or a chair when my daughter buys one at a garage sale, but realistically my “hauling” could be done with either of our other two vehicles. Bed liner or no?
Buy the vehicle without a bedliner and have someone other than the dealership spray it. Much much much cheaper. But by all means protect the bed.

· Registered
47 Posts
For about $120 you can get a heavy duty rubber bed mat from rough country

· Registered
2019 Colorado Z71 V6
70 Posts
I’ve had a simple soft rollup tonneau cover and a bedrug for almost 5 years and it’s worked out great for my use. My truck bed gets used mostly like a large trunk for sporting/camping gear- rarely anything really dirty. The bedrug is really nice. It’s soft and provides traction so stuff doesn’t slide around as easily, and the tailgate portion is comfy to sit on. When I got mine, it was a decent price and nice to be able to install at home. The few times a year I haul something dirty (firewood, gravel, soil, etc) I just lay a tarp down to make cleanup easy. Every so often, I’ll take a shopvac or regular vacuum and give the bedrug a quick clean. About once a year (in summer) I’ll swing by the car wash and wash the bedrug with some soapy water and leave open to dry. The rollup tonneau is simple and easy to open up whenever I need to move anything large. I chose the rollup one specifically because I have crossbars over the tonneau. The rollup cover allows me to open the bed even with the crossbars attached if I want to reach something.

… that being said. I wouldn’t use a bedrug without some sort of cover or canopy. One of the downsides is that it stays wet for awhile compared to plastic, spray, or rubber liner where water would just run off. Another downside to the bedrug is if you regularly haul loose material (think hay or something similar), it will be a pain to clean. Laying down a tarp works well, but if you haul stuff like that often, it might not be the best choice.

· Registered
13 Posts
My 2016 Colorado came with a factory bed liner. I debated getting the spray in but I don't haul enough loads to justify the cost. I did put a roll-up cover on the bed just for a little security and weather protection. It has worked out great.

· Registered
2021 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 crew cab, short bed
222 Posts
Buy the vehicle without a bedliner and have someone other than the dealership spray it. Much much much cheaper. But by all means protect the bed.
The dealership spray bedliner is currently and has been as far back as I can remember $475, I called around my city and ask shops how much to do a sprayed in bedliner and everyone quoted me $500 or more. Now the difference is one if the dealership does it they have to warranty it, two is if you want to get all the little things later so they are not priced into your 6yr loan I understand that, 3 you can also buy the buckets of liner and do it your self which is about my guess $100-200 in liquid liner, rollers, and a buffing pad and power tool to "prepare" the surface to bond to the liner.

· Registered
2021 WT CC 3.6 L V6 SB
31 Posts
The dealership spray bedliner is currently and has been as far back as I can remember $475, I called around my city and ask shops how much to do a sprayed in bedliner and everyone quoted me $500 or more. Now the difference is one if the dealership does it they have to warranty it, two is if you want to get all the little things later so they are not priced into your 6yr loan I understand that, 3 you can also buy the buckets of liner and do it your self which is about my guess $100-200 in liquid liner, rollers, and a buffing pad and power tool to "prepare" the surface to bond to the liner.
Could not agree more. Got the factory installed bedliner as well and I know its just aesthetics but the Chevy bowtie molded into it is cool too. I haul everything from fishing equipment, wood, old furniture from my house to the dump etc. and a quick rinse with the hose keeps it clean and looking new. I have the factory installed soft rollup cover that I got with the 2016 Colorado CC SB , took it off and put it on my 2019 CC SB and took it off and now have it on my 2021 CCSB. Wouldn’t do without it keeps the bed clean dry and secure And even if minimal helps with aerodynamics reducing gas mileage. Love the look as well but as the saying goes, to each his own, live and let live.

· Registered
13,287 Posts
My biggest reason for factory over aftermarket spray bedliner is the number of people who report back that the plastic covers in the bed were covered over, etc. Factory gets it right.

· Registered
2021 Z71 Off Road 4x4 Duramax 2.8L
316 Posts
Yea that's the one I want. But dayum... that is one hell of a price tag. I may reconsider. Always wanted one like it though. I suspect it won't be much cheaper when/if they make it for the new model Colorado's.
Yes, the Retrax covers are not cheap. But I did a lot of research before I ordered one. So far, it has worked perfectly and I was impressed with the quality of the cover. Figured if I kept the truck for a number of years, it was more than worth the price.

· Registered
316 Posts
The reasons I bought the Retrax ProMX.

"The RetraxPRO MX not only provides rugged protection for your truck bed it also provides a patented low-profile design that enhances the appearance of your truck. The compact storage container features a unique spiral track system that prevents the cover from coming into contact with itself as it opens and closes. The operation of this cover allows it to always stay flush to the rails and creates a dependable seal to help keep the elements out and protect your cargo.

The RetraxPRO MX has a sealed ball-bearing roller system that glides effortlessly along the rail with a convenient handle that eliminates the need for pull straps, Velcro, snaps or springs. The RetraxPRO MX is key lockable in any position that gives you unlimited flexibility in your hauling capacity."

It's lived up to everything they claimed.

· Premium Member
347 Posts
Yes, the Retrax covers are not cheap. But I did a lot of research before I ordered one. So far, it has worked perfectly and I was impressed with the quality of the cover. Figured if I kept the truck for a number of years, it was more than worth the price.
Yea I have a LoMax Tri-fold on the Tacoma currently and it's nice, but I'd really like one that I don't have to remove and the seal doesn't seem that reliable on it. I'm glad I didn't swing for the Retrax on this truck because I'll be trading it for the ZR2, so I suspect I'll follow in your footsteps and do the same thing ;) Thanks for sharing because I couldn't recall the name of those covers.

Another great one that can handle weight on top of it and is more of a "My truck bed is a giant tool box" is the Diamondback. They are pretty pricey too and for a more specific use, but probably the most durable. They make a couple different options.

Here is a link for anyone curious:
Diamondback

and a more direct link to the manufacturer

· Registered
316 Posts
The Diamondbacks are folding covers. So, IMHO you will never get the max amount of space. Yes, I lose a little space for the retractable container, but it's not that much.

When I purchased a 55" flat TV some time ago, I learned you could not lay the box flat on the bed. Why? Because the screen may crack if bounced around. So, I pulled the Retrax cover back and loaded the TV in the bed upright. Secured it with some straps and made it home w/o a problem. Well it did start to rain, but I got it in the garage before the box got too wet.

· Registered
4 Posts
Max, I hear what you are saying. Do not worry what nosey neighbors say. I would look into a bed rug for just the floor of the bed. They are great and inexpensive. Do your thing and don't worry what people say. Good luck my friend. FRANKIE L.I 🛻🛻

41 - 60 of 91 Posts