Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s everyone using for bed divider?

I’ve seen the gear on divider and not really impressed.

Mainly want to divide the rear couple feet closest to gate from the rest to prevent propane tanks, gas containers from shifting around.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
What’s everyone using for bed divider? I’ve seen the gear on divider and not really impressed. Mainly want to divide the rear couple feet closest to gate from the rest to prevent propane tanks, gas containers from shifting around.
I have had one of these cargo bars for the last 5 pickup trucks I've owned. Works great for just the things you are wanting to hold in place and even larger items . .It's compact and not in the way when you don't need it.
Take your pick. Here is a list on Amazon . . . I have the Keeper Cargo Bar. . .

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=keeper+c...467045&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_6wgb65bnnu_e

Attachments

Reactions: jst4fun05

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just use a nice 2 x 6 that I drop in the slots that are already in the sides of the bed. I cut the corners of the two by sixes slightly so that it goes down all the way. Perfect for what you’re talking about they think and super cheap. I can send a picture if you want to see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just use a nice 2 x 6 that I drop in the slots that are already in the sides of the bed. I cut the corners of the two by sixes slightly so that it goes down all the way. Perfect for what you’re talking about they think and super cheap. I can send a picture if you want to see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you have a picture that would be great!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

I have a 2 X 6 board for a divider also, but use the cargo bar 95% of the time for a divider to hold gas tanks, propane, boxes, TVs, groceries, Home Supply store items, etc. I use the board when I need the extra surface area it can provide when needed . . . which is not too often.

The cargo bar fits under the rear seat storage area so I have it when I need it wherever I go.

Reason - - -- the board is good but bulky and have to find a place to store it when not being used or leave it laying in the pickup bed and just takes up space somewhere. ::chevy::

·
Registered
246 Posts

Here you go. Actually looking at this I think it is a 2 x 4 that I have back there. You could easily do something much bigger, and I have mine cut so it’s very snug it does not move around or rattle. Works great for keeping stuff from moving around in the back half of the truck and you can move it forward and back in those two slots you see on the side. Super cheap solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Here you go. Actually looking at this I think it is a 2 x 4 that I have back there. You could easily do something much bigger, and I have mine cut so it’s very snug it does not move around or rattle. Works great for keeping stuff from moving around in the back half of the truck and you can move it forward and back in those two slots you see on the side. Super cheap solution.
That is a 2x6 I believe.

I cut one, it sits in my garage along the wall behind my workbench, fairly easy to grab when I need it. I would consider cutting slots for handholds in it if I used it very much. But I have only used it 2-3 times since I made it.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I'm using a Motogate .... I have the smaller version - cuz the larger one was too big to tighten it.
https://moto-gate.myshopify.com/

The ends are 'open' a bit but it does exactly what I need it to do. AND - I can use it as a cargo ty-down if needed.
The straps are really really long, so I have them criss crossed on the sides.
Obviously, I also have a couple bullrings in the upper holes.

http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/albums/GMC Canyon/normal_IMG_3245.JPG
http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/albums/GMC Canyon/normal_IMG_3228.JPG

·
Registered
246 Posts
That is a 2x6 I believe.

I cut one, it sits in my garage along the wall behind my workbench, fairly easy to grab when I need it. I would consider cutting slots for handholds in it if I used it very much. But I have only used it 2-3 times since I made it.
I think you're right. So you could easily do a 2x8 if you needed more of a "wall" back there. So far this has been handy as it is.

I'm actually thinking about cutting a slight divot into something like this and lining it with padding so I can have it cradle my kayak and I can carry it with the gate down.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
I think you're right. So you could easily do a 2x8 if you needed more of a "wall" back there. So far this has been handy as it is.

I'm actually thinking about cutting a slight divot into something like this and lining it with padding so I can have it cradle my kayak and I can carry it with the gate down.
I believe mine is actually a 2x8. I placed it in the slots behind the wheel wells (between wheel wells & cab). In that position, it was high enough that 4x8 sheets of wood could be supported by the 2x8 in the bed and my raised tailgate, above the wheel wells.

I was transporting sheets of MDF for a project around the corner from Home Depot to my house, so I didn't even strap them down. However, a ratchet strap using the 2 built in tie downs close to the tailgate could easily secure 4x8 sheets loaded this way.

The lumber method can be used for a lot of loads, and your idea of a "divot" to support a kayak is another good example. Necessity is the mother of all invention.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I use a 2x8 and a shim, You could easily use a 2x10 if you need more height.

Cheap and effective. When you need the bed, turn it lengthwise and slide it in above the wheel well. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Mine is made from a 2x10 I lying around:

I was worried that it would rub the bed liner away over time but so far that hasn't been an issue. In fact I made it so tight that I have to pull it straight up to remove it or else it binds up in the pockets. Hence the handles on the top.

I painted it black to give it some protection from the elements and hopefully prevent warping. Plus it was a good way to use up some mostly empty cans of paint I had lying around.

With it in place, it is the perfect distance to keep gas cans, coolers, tool bags and 5 gal water jugs from sliding around. I considered one of those ratcheting cargo bars, but this was free and made with stuff I already had.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anybody have a chance to measure this long ways? I am trying to make my own and dont want cut it short. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anybody have a chance to measure this long ways? I am trying to make my own and dont want cut it short. Thanks!
I think you'd be better off measuring your actual bed since there isn't too much room for error and you want a snug fit. There could be variations due to thickness of bed liners, warping of the box, manufacturing tolerances, etc

·
Premium Member
2015 Canyon
36 Posts
I used pressure treated 2x8's with joist hangars for separation.
Top measured 57"wide. Bottom was 1/2" shorter on each side, so final measurement was 56" wide at the bottom cut at a slight "V" pattern.
A bit crude, but it works for me and it keeps the stuff from schlopping around when I'm racing autocross.... 💩

As mentioned above, measure your own widths since they may vary in some way(s).

Attachments

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I just use some ratchet straps hooked into the side hooks. They're light and can easily be removed when needed. The most useful ones are the one near the front for the stuff I always keep in the bed, and the one at the back for things like grocery bags--paper please.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Bed Extenders do what you are asking as well. When not folded out to extend the bed they give you a nice confined approx 2' area to hold your stuff close to the tailgate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts