Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an alpine deck and it has a bass centre frequncy adjustment 60 80 100 200
my slash 500 centre frequency is set at 60 so would 60 be the best ?

Also it seems like i am getting to much bass through my speakers, but if
i turn the bass down then my sub gets too quiet. It sounds distorted
when the i turn it up due to the bass coming from the door speakers.
would an amp fix this distortion? Is there a way to keep the
bass going to the sub and keep the door speakers for mid-high?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
1) What model Alpine deck?
2) What do you have the bass center frequency set to on the deck?
3) What do you have the high pass (HP) and low pass (LP) set to on the amp?
4) What sub are you running?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
i would turn off the bass eg on the amp. just use the one on the deck as it is easier to adjust, unless your amp is easy to get to. my point is to just turn one of the 2 off as using them both could cause distortion.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If your alpine is like the one I had a few years ago set the HPF to on and adjust to the best sound for your setup, that will keep the bass out of your door speakers and let them only play the mid and high range freq's. hope this helps.

·
Registered
809 Posts
yeah, the lower the number the more bass you will get from your door speakers. a good way to set it IMHO is have your subs set at say 160Hz and your mids at the same thing, only subs are LPF and mids are HPF, so you dont miss out on any freq's in the music. Mine actually overlap in my truck a little, dont remember what they're set at though and everyone that hears it says it sounds nice. Good luck with it. Just remember, once the lightbulb comes on you kick yourself for not seeing it earlier, it's pretty easy once you figure it out...LOL. it took me a few times and then one day it was just there, and I felt like a [email protected]$$...LOL.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well now i have it all setup 160 hpf on hu 160 lp on amp
and the highs and mids sound way better but

my sub is loud enough to keep up with my speakers
but its not like so loud you can really hear the bass pounding
across the road, is something wrong, or
is it just not possible to get that loud from my set up

·
Registered
191 Posts
LPF to 60 or 80,maybe 100, but i think 160 is too high. HPF to the same setting as the LPF. You only have a HPF in the HU everything over the selected value will go to the speakers. Try the lowest setting of 80 first. Then set the LPF on the amp (you dont have a LPF in the HU) to 80, everything under 80 will be sent to the subwoofer. your infrasonic filter (Its a high pass filter) is set to 30 meaning no frequency under 30 is being played. You can set this lower, but dont go below the frequency response of the sub). So now you have 30Hz to 80Hz from the sub, and 80Hz and over going to the speakers. Now the Bass EQ. turn it off at the amp and start with the HU settings. Set this frequency to the one you want emphasized. this will be your center frequency, there is also a Bass Bandwidth setting, this will determine how wide of a frequency range you want to emphasize (how far from the center frequency) A setting of 1 is the narrowest, 4 is the widest. After playing with it in the HU and you dont find a setting you like, turn it off and try it on the amp. center frequency on the amp works the same as on the HU. "Q" on the amp is the same as bass bandwidth in the HU. Hope this helps explain a little, and if you already knew this sorry i wasted your time with the long post.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found 160 to sound the best at high volumes,
all the lower settings seem to cause my speakers
to sound distorted, most of this stuff i figured out
on my own, but your post helped re-assure me
i was right

i have both the eqs on my hu and amp on
60hz 3 on the hu
60hz 1.1 on the amp

it seems like i get a louder sound out of the subwoofer this way.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Have you adjusted the gain? On your amp I think it's called "input sens".
One more question.....did you :rtfm: :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts