Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, haven't been here long, just poking around to get some more info and updates for my new ZR2.

Been finding a lot of information about concerns about the shocks with these trucks. The shocks aren't all that special to be completely honest with you folks. They are essentially the same thing as kings, fox, icons, etc. they just use a different mecanism for changing the valving. Add your spacers if you want, they only thing that will do is remove downward travel from your suspension the ride will stay the same.

Here is a basic recipe to equate to the ZR2 in terms of performance:
1. Aftermarket upper control arms - total chaos, dirt kings, mazulla off road, blitzkrieg all either have products available or are coming out with products in the near future. Benefits are they are rebuildable, remove the stock ball joint and use a high angle grim joint, and add caster into their builds so you get a better steering response when lifter. This could also be a solution for those of you rubbing tires at 33"+. I haven't seen how these trucks are aligned yet so I can't confirm that or not. Google contact the companies to talk with and can confirm a lot of what im talking about.

2. Aftermarket coilovers and rear shocks - King, Dirt Logic, Icon, Fox, Race Runner/Sway-Away, F-o-a. These are rebuildable and allow you to valve your suspension to your needs as well as change spring rates for added loads, slow rock crawling, speedy desert shake downs, grocery getting, mixes of it all etc. it takes a little bit of effort to get it right but is light years away from bolt in bilsteins and other drop in low cost shocks

3. Progressive rate leaf springs - Deaver, national, alcan are the top three that are producing leafs. These will allow you to put lift into the rear if you desire, reduce axle wrap, and are progressive springs meaning as they compress more, they rebound and a controlled rate providing a better ride overall.

4. Lockers and gears- when you increase tire size you need to change gearing to keep your engine performing the way it needs to. 4:15 for v6 3:75-4:0 for diesel should put you in a good range with 33" tires or larger. When you get to this point save up for the lockers because you don't want to pay for the same service twice.

This is basic. Now if you look all this up and go "Gosh that's expensive"! Well yeah, it is, this is what you buy with the Z, but if you find a good deal on a base model don't lose out on it, this list here puts you on par with the ZR2 or even passes it up.

We don't have any of these parts aftermarket for the zr2, there are no long travel or mid travel kits, no lift coilovers, but it comes with it all as is so we have to make do with the tire size or add a BOdy lift or pucks. I won't recommend either but to each their own.

Hope this helps some of you out. Take care!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
So all we need is for someone to make ring and pinions in different gearing ratios and lockers for our trucks...............still waiting............

·
Registered
218 Posts
From what I'm finding in other posts is the 4cyl gas motors have 4.10 gears, rear lockers are g80 from eaton so you might have luck there.
They are not the correct size, they are not interchangeable from what I have read in other posts. I would like see some 3.73 or 4.10 gears available though. Yukon has told myself and others there is no plan to offer them either.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
They are not the correct size, they are not interchangeable from what I have read in other posts. I would like see some 3.73 or 4.10 gears available though. Yukon has told myself and others there is no plan to offer them either.
This is what I have been told as well...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the zr2 axles are different, but I thought all of the base models had the same axles, z71 included. Id find it quite surprising to find that Chevy made three different axle sizes for the same model of truck.

In the instance that R&p isn't available, suspension still is. So that would leave the other points still obtainable

·
Registered
218 Posts
This sparked my search again. Looks like Nitro Gear is going to offer new ring and pinion sets in a 4.56. It had been mentioned on the site before, but I missed it. Maybe a 4.10 will be available in the future.

Colorado / Canyon Gear Package

·
Registered
2019 GMC Canyon All Terrain
2,023 Posts
So GM puts a different axle in the truck based on the motor? doesn't seem cost effective.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That's what I'm saying, from what I've found the ring gear is the same size and the z71 comes with a stock locker, the g80, which showorktogether. I haven't looked but the z71 may have even come configured with a 4.10 with the v6 off road packages.

But if 4.56 are coming out then that would be a good deal for everyone.

Now just imagine the diesel with 4.10 and 33's. Lol if that would even hold up.

·
Registered
218 Posts
From what I have found the 4.10 gears are only available in the 4cyl gassers. Those gears are not interchangeable with the larger gears of the 6cyl and 4cyl T/C diesel that happen to be 3.42. No other gears have been offered, outside of the 4.56 Nitro that I know of. I have never held the rings to compare from the 4cyl gassers to the other trucks, but have read on this site where other guys have researched it more than I have. I am hoping to find some 4.10 eventually for 34s, if I can only fit 33s, I will keep the 3.42 in my diesel.

·
Registered
310 Posts
What is the point in getting a ZR2 then if the entire suspension and lockers are all going to be replaced? Why not just start with a Z71 and go from there for a much cheaper entry point and still have all the features and comforts? Build better and more useful bumpers, add after market lockers, gears and axles and redo the suspension? Is it the hopes of getting some money for the stock stuff, that will only help offset the some of the cost but still be more. Is it to say you have a ZR2?

It is a sweet truck to leave somewhat near to stock, if you go all out you might as well start with a different model and go from there...

Tyler

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the point of the post was to list out a basic build to get near the ZR2. I've seen several posts on here of people debating back and forth of swapping the z71 parts for the zr2 parts but you wouldn't really need to do that. It's also something that people who are you in the market for getting one of the Colorado's and are looking to do modifications can refer to and see if forking out the extra money for the zr2 platform is more cost effective than buying a different model and swapping those parts. It was something I spent a while doing before I made my purchase. Just thought it'd be good to put into writing for others that may want to go the diy route but were thinking they needed to do drastic modifications to obtain.

And I agree with you that Swapping all of the parts on the zr2 would be silly. The only thing that I could see being useful is an aftermarket upper control arm that swapped out the ball joint for a uniball and gives a little more articulation. One may even be able to use the shocks for a decent prerunner long travel kit too. For all of the time and money I put into my tundra with its suspension, the zr2 came stock with and was already tuned and ready to rock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.