Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered a BakFlip F1 with backbox for my 17 z71 CCLB. I was looking for a flush mount folding hard cover with storage. I liked the idea of folding away the storage box so I could get nearly 100 bed useage. The install for both took me about 3 hours by myself. The install was basically straightforward. For the Colorado, the included shims were needed to level the rails. But that was expected. My initial impressions are "I love it". It is basically exactly what I was looking for. As far a water resistance and longevity. I don't know yet. I expect some water intrusion with any bed cover. It that was a concern for me I would have stuck with a SUV. I'm going to include lots of pictures. I really like how everything folds away. Hopefully, that shows up in the photos. Any questions please ask. That's what the forum is for.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looks good. I've had a BakFlip F1 installed on my Ford F250 for the past 4 years and the F1 has performed well.

The BakFlip has two drainage hoses on my installation which route most rain water through holes in the front vertical wall of the F250's bed.

How does water drain from the Colorado bed?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good. I've had a BakFlip F1 installed on my Ford F250 for the past 4 years and the F1 has performed well.

The BakFlip has two drainage hoses on my installation which route most rain water through holes in the front vertical wall of the F250's bed.

How does water drain from the Colorado bed?
I did the same. There are plugs for tie down rings in the Colorado bed. I removed two plugs in the front cab wall and placed the tubes there. See attached photo ..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have that Bakflip for the past few years. No issues whatsoever.. There is a small leak on mine, nothing to worry about. Went to FL and the bed was full of luggage. Rained like crazy and none was wet, very pleased with mine.

The best part is, the ability to use the bed as a trunk and to lock it.

·
Registered
9,051 Posts
I like the looks of it.

I checked their website, why did you chose the Backflip1 over the others?

I have been looking at soft tonneau's but this may change my mind.

Had planned on getting a topper for my hunting stuff, but wife thinks a tonneau will look better and for me and not to take so much crap

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I like the looks of it.

I checked their website, why did you chose the Backflip1 over the others?

I have been looking at soft tonneau's but this may change my mind.
I wanted a hard folding cover. Bak makes other hard folding covers. They look basically the same. The F-1 is suppose to be their top of the line. It has a 400 lbs wieght capacity. Not like I plan on jumping on it. And a 3 year warranty. So for about $100 more I said " why not".

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Water resistance update...
I had my first Florida monsoon yesterday since I installed the Backflip. As I expected there was some water intrusion. Mostly around the tail gate. And some at the front corners as well. Upon inspection, I believe I can lessen or eliminate the front corners water. The tailgate will have water intrusion depending on the wind direction due to the gap between the tailgate and rear quarterpanel. See photo below. I suspect the cover will actually have less water intrusion at speed as water can't pool or be driven into the tailgate.

I am not knocking the Backflip. I'm very happy with it. Just letting everyone know it will be impossible to have a completely watertight top unless the tail gate is completely covered. So have realistic expectations with these products.

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
I installed the MX4 last week, took about 90mins...so far very happy, looks like it belongs on the truck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.