Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Designed from the ground up our new S1 fills the shoes of a large light in a small package! The S1 utilizes a highly specialized reflector and LED combination to outshine the competition. With the 2.1" length, width, and height the S1 is highly versatile for any application that is in need of light. Whether you're looking for a light to drive off of, or something to light up a campsite the S1 will exceed your expectations!

Specifications:

Lumens: 2,375 Utilizing 1 LED

Wattage/Amps: 20W / 1.45A

Dimensions: 2.1" x 2.1" x 2.1"

Weight: 0.4 lbs

LED Life Expectancy: 49,930 Hours

Front Lens: Hard Coated Polycarbonate

Housing: Hard Anodized & Powder Coated Cast Aluminum

Bezel: Billet Machined Aluminum

Hardware & Bracket Material: Stainless Steel

Exceeds MIL-STD810G (Mil-Spec Testing)

Built-In Overvoltage Protection

IP69K (Waterproof up to 9ft & Pressure Washable)

IK10 Compliant (Mechanical Impact Testing)

CLICK HERE

·
Site Sponsor
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apply coupon code BDForums to save 10% on a Single or Pair of S1's!!!

Single pricing starting at $109.95 before the discount is applied
Pair pricing starting at $208.95 before the discount is applied

Check it out!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Produces nearly the same lumens as the S2 pro and around double that of the S2 Sport? All in a package nearly 1/2 the size, that's crazy! This seems pretty damn good especially when it comes to a discreet install (if desired).

·
Registered
322 Posts
@BajaDesigns are these u-servicable? Can you swap the lenses? also, if you wanted to mount these sideways with the wide cornering beam, could you rotate the lense 90 degrees? If so I'd like to pick up a set of these

·
Registered
190 Posts
Would like to have an amber cover for the spot (rather than diffused) - will this be an option at some point? TIA

·
Registered
322 Posts
Honestly, for BD stuff, these are a steal. (from what i can tell, the S1 uses the same insane 20W diodes that are in the monster XL80)

S1 - 2.1"x2.1" - $109 - 2375lm - 21 lm/$ - 538lm/in^2
S2 sport - 2"x3" - $109 - 1375lm - 12 lm/$ - 229lm/in^2
S2 pro - 2"x3" - $175 - 2450lm - 14 lm/$ - 408lm/in^2
Sq sport - 3"x3" - $120 - 3150lm - 26lm/$ - 350lm/in^2
Sq pro - 3"x3" - $220 - 4900lm - 22lm/$ - 544lm/in"
Sq XL80 - 4.4"x4.4" - $400 - 9500lm - 23.75lm/$ - 490lm/in^2

So in terms of lumens per dollar (high value is better), the S1 is the best value besides the squadron sport, and about on par with the XL80.
In terms of lumens per square inch, the S1 is on par with the squadron pro.

As far as I can tell, assuming BD is being honest about the output, it's by far the best all-around bang for you buck in terms of output, price, and size of any lighting product on the market.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Honestly, for BD stuff, these are a steal. (from what i can tell, the S1 uses the same insane 20W diodes that are in the monster XL80)

S1 - 2.1"x2.1" - $109 - 2375lm - 21 lm/$ - 538lm/in^2
S2 sport - 2"x3" - $109 - 1375lm - 12 lm/$ - 229lm/in^2
S2 pro - 2"x3" - $175 - 2450lm - 14 lm/$ - 408lm/in^2
Sq sport - 3"x3" - $120 - 3150lm - 26lm/$ - 350lm/in^2
Sq pro - 3"x3" - $220 - 4900lm - 22lm/$ - 544lm/in"
Sq XL80 - 4.4"x4.4" - $400 - 9500lm - 23.75lm/$ - 490lm/in^2

So in terms of lumens per dollar (high value is better), the S1 is the best value besides the squadron sport, and about on par with the XL80.
In terms of lumens per square inch, the S1 is on par with the squadron pro.

As far as I can tell, assuming BD is being honest about the output, it's by far the best all-around bang for you buck in terms of output, price, and size of any lighting product on the market.
Well of course they are being honest about the output, that's part of the brand image they are trying to maintain to justify their ludicrous markup. They spend maybe $10 more per unit to justify what are probably in excess of 2-300% markups.

There are numerous FLASHLIGHTS that are in the same price range and output significantly more light and have significantly more complicated drivers and firmware. Hell, an Imalent DX80 can be had on sale for the price of 2 of these, will turbo to a true 32,000 lumens for several minutes before ramping down to a continuous 7,000 lumens. Even my Acebeam X80GT which is only the size of a pop can can do the same.

For half the price of one of their lightbars you could get a 100,000 lumen flashlight (oh darn it only actually measures 72,000 lumens - what a bunch of dirty scammers :rolleyes:) Which has way more technology packed inside of it than these relatively 'dumb' lights but yet for way less cost. As an easy example, flashlights need thermal management strategies which ramp down the output as heat builds up - this requires sensors, firmware, etc. By comparison these lights just have giant (relatively cheap to manufacture) heat-sinks and no firmware or temperature sensors, hell I'm not even sure if they have a driver, so where is the cost? Not the LEDs. Genuine CREE LEDs are not particularly expensive - higher binned LEDs even from the top lines are only a couple dollars each.\

Whatever, is what it is. Some people will pay it. If the market grows enough, they will get undercut once demand gets high enough. It's not that the Chinese aren't capable of making a light of this quality (they already make the damn LEDs used in them anyway), it's simply that the market is too small and for most consumers the ideal value lies elsewhere.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Chinese aren't capable of making a light of this quality (they already make the damn LEDs used in them anyway)
Well, at the moment, few companies make anything that competes with their products for a better price. (STEDI is the only one that comes to mind)

I'm paying for durability, form factor, warranty, aesthetic, and pedigree. I'm not arguing that more lumens or equal quality can't be had for less $, but the market sets the price and it sounds like you're aware of that. Form factor and ingress protection, color temp, swappable lenses, and durability are also large selling points of their products which is critical in automotive and especially offroad contexts.

I'm not saying they're not pricey, even overpriced for that matter, but after wasting money experiencing a bunch of shitty chinese products, I'm willing to pay a little more $ for something I can be confident in.

but go ahead, you can tape that DX80 to your hood if you want too. I'll stick with STEDI & BD lighting products.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts