Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all the posts I can find about bad leaf springs. My question is, how can I tell if the leaf is actually bad? My truck does not lean to either side, it just seems to be unusually low in the back. I don't remember what the springs looked like when I bought the truck, so I have nothing to compare them to now.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
The stock springs should have a smooth arch to them unloaded - bad springs will be flat or have an 'S' bend.

If you read all the posts you would have seen gawillet's thread showing his flattened springs.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rangerbob said:
The stock springs should have a smooth arch to them unloaded - bad springs will be flat or have an 'S' bend.

If you read all the posts you would have seen gawillet's thread showing his flattened springs.
i saw his post, i just was not sure exactly what he was talking about. My springs seem to be somewhat 'S' bended. I will take some pics and post them.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right Side
<a>
</a>
<a>
</a>
Left Side
<a>
</a>
<a>
</a>

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Got the same issue on mine. I may have to see the dealer.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dirtydawg said:
Got the same issue on mine. I may have to see the dealer.
i'm going to the dealer tomorrow. Do my springs look bad to you? I don't have anything to compare them too.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
They look a lot like GAwillet's to me and the dealer said it was a warranty issue. It'd be worth a shot.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right on. then I'm going to do it. The thing that makes me mad is the fact that I don't hall anything in my truck. And they are sagging this much?

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
They look just like the pictures in gawillet's thread.......

And we've all said that those are bad.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Looks like an "S" to me, Dealers problem. 8) Hope you're under warranty

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Yeah...those are def bad! I think mine are bad too :eek:)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies fellas. I took it in this morning...under warranty...and they guy asks me "what makes you think these are bad?" I was like "Uh...cause they are flat." His response was "oh..."

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright got my truck back from the dealer. They said my springs measured to the correct specifications. I thought they were wrong, but when I went and looked at an 08 colorado the leaf springs looked just like mine. So for now, i still have the same springs, and the guy said if i notice them sagging anymore then to bring it back in

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd tell him correct specs my @ss! There's no way in hades leaf springs should look like that! I'd tell 'im to either fix it or you should call GM...heck I know my local dealer, the owner has a monopoly here owning both the Chevy & Ford delaerships...well when I had an issue with something and they didn't want to do anything, I called him about my F150, he said to bring it down and show him personally. It was under warranty, and HE got it fixed for me.

But yeah I'd tell them to get it done or go over their heads. That's BS.

·
Registered
478 Posts
No - they are bad, and if they are in spec, then that spec needs to be changed. And exactly WHAT specification did they measure?
Spring rate? bed height? overall height? I'd get it in writing.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that's what i thought too. But like i said, i looked at a brand new 2008 colorado on the lot and the leafs looked identical to mine. So i felt like an idiot after seeing them.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I posted some pix of my new '08 stock springs in the suspension section they surprised me but they look the same, check them out in "Rear leaf spring bad ITS NORMAL ?"

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
boycan said:
I posted some pix of my new '08 stock springs in the suspension section they surprised me but they look the same, check them out in "Rear leaf spring bad ITS NORMAL ?"
exactly like mine. that's why i thought they were bad. If you look at a leaf spring for any other vehicle they are not flat like ours.

·
Registered
324 Posts
All I can say is I was SHOCKED would have bet you my paycheck mine would not have looked like that? :? I just knew the stealership was BS'n you! :shock:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts