Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
2,064 Posts
Legal weed is not legal if you’re driving- just saying.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Is there a "no lit doobie" law to mirror the open container laws in states where it is legal?

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Correct, and in Washington anyway it's dependent on blood tests which will read some level well after a "high" is gone. But the issue was the strength of weed today as opposed to the past.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Love my 22 Colorado and I’m sure this can be addressed but after dark my backup camera is as dark as it is outside. It’s really unusable. When I need it I’m usually on roads that I’m unfamiliar with anyways and it’s always late Evening/night time. What can I do to get it to where I can see what’s behind me at night? Thanks Guys!
Try using the mirrors...

·
Registered
2020 WT 4X4 longbed
34 Posts
Love my 22 Colorado and I’m sure this can be addressed but after dark my backup camera is as dark as it is outside. It’s really unusable. When I need it I’m usually on roads that I’m unfamiliar with anyways and it’s always late Evening/night time. What can I do to get it to where I can see what’s behind me at night? Thanks Guys!
I touch the brakes, sheds a little more light (red) on the subject. I agree with you though.

Only a problem in a situation with no light. Rural, no streetlights. Where I live. It is a pain in the a$$

·
Registered
2019 Z71 Diesel
221 Posts
Try using the mirrors...
The back up cam assists you with the blind spots mirrors can't see. Back up cams are a potential life saving feature. Seems we forgot about all the unfortunate times someone ran over kids while back up or in. Mirrors, back up cams and parking sensors used together can save a life. They are now mandatory on all vehicles. It's not an option anymore for a reason just like TPMS.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
The backup sensors are not required. Cameras are and are a good thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to believe GM changed either the camera or the camera lens as my son used to have a 2015 Cruze that had a very clear image night or day. I have a 2017 Canyon with the same poor picture quality as many here are describing that makes the backup camera useless at night. I have not seen a TSB on how GM is fixing this, but would assume replacing the camera with an OEM one wouldn’t help. Maybe there is an aftermarket market camera that is better quality?

·
Registered
2019 Z71 Diesel
221 Posts
I have to believe GM changed either the camera or the camera lens as my son used to have a 2015 Cruze that had a very clear image night or day. I have a 2017 Canyon with the same poor picture quality as many here are describing that makes the backup camera useless at night. I have not seen a TSB on how GM is fixing this, but would assume replacing the camera with an OEM one wouldn’t help. Maybe there is an aftermarket market camera that is better quality?
I have a 2018 cruze and a 2019 Colorado. The cruze has a better cam view and it is a SD cam. The Colorado has a HD cam and a darker view. I replaced the reverse lights with LED. Not much better. So I added a LED license plate light in addition and now my view is better than the Cruze and brighter. GM knows the issues but probably won't address it because it's not getting enough attention. To add another issue to my Colorado the lens builds up moisture inside of it in certain weather conditions. This problem is well documented and it is so bad that Honda is replacing lenses on all their vehicles due to customer complaints.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Yesterday morning at 3am I backed up to my boat trailer hitch with nary an issue and it is parked in a dark lot with no lights. The end of the hitch is silver so maybe that helped at 30 feet. I could also see the other boats parked on either side of it.

Are you guys talking about the camera showing nothing cause there is nothing behind you for the reverse lights to light up?

Reactions: CaryBosse

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
I was driving the wife's Subaru last night and it's camera clearly works better at night than the Colorado's camera system. But neither work well in the rain. Some cars came with wipers on the headlights, which I always thought was a stupid waste. But there should be a system on cameras to wipe or blow the raindrops off. Ditto my trailer rear camera, but at least it gets better over time if I am moving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I added two led spot lights under the rear bumper. The problem with them is that they are spots and 5000-6000 kelvin wavelength light. They overwhelm the camera, making it look like a whiteout at night. I can see pretty well in the side mirrors though. It would be way better if the lights were floods, in the warm white, 2700-3000 kelvin wavelength. I actually toned down the spots by coating the lenses with clear/translucent RTV silicone adhesive. Still looking for some warm white floods to replace the spots with. My back up camera was replaced once under warranty, due to the fact that the image had become fuzzy. That was both a day and night problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you talking about LED backup lights? Would they really make a difference?
I put some Amazon cheapos in my 2020 Z71 and they were bright as spotlights, but the backup camera was only a bit better in dark parking lots. One burned out after a year and I bought some made by Sylvania from the local parts store. They're not as bright, but a little better than the factory bulbs and I'm hoping they last longer than the other ones.
I don't understand why the camera struggles so much at night. My wife drives a 2019 GMC Acadia with the screen and dash being very similar to mine. Her camera works much better at night than mine. I would expect this from Chevy's standard camera, but I thought the HD camera would have similar performance.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts