Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Well if you have vision issues on a bike well…..

One thing coming that is a blessing and curse is the new mirrors with cameras. What people don’t realize is in a true mirror you focus on the object but with camera you focus on the mirror that is a screen.

We have it in our new SUV and it takes getting use to it. My wife hates it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Well possibly. My Ranger is better without using a right mirror than the Colorado is with Boost mirrors. Entirely body design. Also, the other car we have right now is a Subaru Outback, which has excellent visibility. There was another Subaru model we didn't buy due to visibility concerns. I'm not sure I've ever had a vehicle with as bad of visibility as the Colorado, but I also grew up on motorcycles--very good visibility! ;-)
I also rode motorcycles till got to old mainly Harleys as you say great visibility wish all those a**holes that pull out/turn in front of bikers would pay attention to visibility. All they have to do is look when driving there cages.

Reactions: Goodspike

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I also rode motorcycles till got to old mainly Harleys as you say great visibility wish all those a**holes that pull out/turn in front of bikers would pay attention to visibility. All they have to do is look when driving there cages.
I gave up on bikes after I pulled a guy from under a car. You can be the best bike rider but you always lose to the car.

People today are just too involved in their phones any more and just don’t pay attention. I crashed avoiding a texter and no system would have or did prevent.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I gave up on bikes after I pulled a guy from under a car. You can be the best bike rider but you always lose to the car.

People today are just too involved in their phones any more and just don’t pay attention. I crashed avoiding a texter and no system would have or did prevent.
They are thinking of putting in anti drinking and driving devices in new vehicles soon….how about they put inward facing cameras with time stamps that police have access to right after an accident….there are a lot of people getting away with distracted driving by making up some lame excuse…..

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

Read a post I believe on this forum that if you ride a motorcycle you have to always feel like everyone else out there in a vehicle is out to kill you. That’s not being paranoid that’s saying you have to be exceptionally alert.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Read a post I believe on this forum that if you ride a motorcycle you have to always feel like everyone else out there in a vehicle is out to kill you. That’s not being paranoid that’s saying you have to be exceptionally alert.
A guy I knew from Brazil told the story about a radio contest they had in Manaus, Brazil. Radio station got in trouble. I guess it was for registered motorcycle riders, the first one to get killed riding his bike would have his funeral fully paid for.

Last time I heard about this guy I knew, he was recovering from injuries from a motorcycle accident.

The problem with all of these safety devices, they are great, they should improve safety. But people rely on them and allow themselves to be distracted.

I feel like with my backup camera, I am slower than before. I still do all of the mirror checks, etc. that I always did, but now I have to also look at the camera. I love the camera, it helps out in tight spots, makes parallel parking, especially when I had my Canyon, so much easier. But it is another data point for my brain to process, and my brain has a limited throughput.

Reactions: rotaryenginepete

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
They are thinking of putting in anti drinking and driving devices in new vehicles soon….how about they put inward facing cameras with time stamps that police have access to right after an accident….there are a lot of people getting away with distracted driving by making up some lame excuse…..
The problem is people need to be held accountable for their actions but not at the cost of freedom to those of us who pay attention and don’t drive DUI

Why should I pay for extra things on my car when I am not the problem.

Now we are having issues with people on legal Pot. It is not the old kid but new strains that are much more potent. We have seen an increase in our area of it contributing to accidents.

Hey if someone wants to get ducked up at home that is their business but on the road with my family I have little tolerance for that.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
No that is an act of survival.

I have had so many close calls in cars I prefer to at least have some line of defense around me.

What was sad was when I worked for a medical company we had many bike accident victims. Most were hurt badly and most were not at fault.

I also can count 5 people I went to d hood with or grew up with that died in bike crashes. A couple were their fault the rest no. One lost his head. One buddy got hit and ended up standing up in hurt. That ended his riding. An old woman backed out of a drive and never saw him. He can’t remember much but he ended up on his feet some how?

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
My closest call was on a one-way road with three lanes and some idiot deciding to take a left turn at the last second from the middle lane.

And like Hyperv6 I gave it up due to safety.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Why should I pay for extra things on my car when I am not the problem.

Now we are having issues with people on legal Pot. It is not the old kid but new strains that are much more potent. We have seen an increase in our area of it contributing to accidents.
1. No one thinks they are the problem.

2. I mentioned here recently how 20-30 somethings drive like 70 year olds from the 1970s. I do wonder how much of that is weed, but weed was around back in the 70s too, so it's hard to say that's the issue.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I've mentioned to people that a federal mandate for everywhere that a motorcycle headlight should have to be on at all times in daylight and be flashing and there be a sensor that would stop the flashing at dusk and leave it on. In daytime hours I feel that would save countless motorcycle accidents from drivers pulling out in front of them or turning in front of them. The thing a lot of times is the mind just doesn't register to vehicle drivers that there's a motorcycle. Yes obviously there's those absolutely paying no attention. But a motorcycle is narrow and not wide like a car and small. The brain has a tendency to just not register(obviously not always but more than you think) when a driver looks both ways and pulls out even though they see this smaller object coming sometimes you look but just don't register that smaller object is coming at you and faster than it appears. That federally mandated flashing headlight would at least attract more attention. And it should be required on all new motorcycles from the factory. To me a simple thing like the headlight thing would prevent a whole lot of motorcycle riders from getting hit. Even on the highway from a motorist coming toward you.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
1. No one thinks they are the problem.

2. I mentioned here recently how 20-30 somethings drive like 70 year olds from the 1970s. I do wonder how much of that is weed, but weed was around back in the 70s too, so it's hard to say that's the issue.
Not the same weed anymore. What they have today in engineered crap that will make you follow sheep around with bad intentions.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
@Johnnyone ,

Not sure if your idea would save lives, but maybe worth a try.

What surprises me is how the single headlight of a motorcycle can be so deceiving. I have even noticed it with a car with one headlight out. All depth perception is lost. I understand that when a person is blind in one eye, depth perception is lost, so I guess it is a similar issue.

For me, a single headlight instantly heightens my senses in regard to a motorcycle, even if it is really a one-headlight car.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Not the same weed anymore. What they have today in engineered crap that will make you follow sheep around with bad intentions.
I think that is largely press BS written by people who have never smoked weed. It is better though than the $10 an ounce stuff from 1974, but even then there was better weed.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I think that is largely press BS written by people who have never smoked weed. It is better though than the $10 an ounce stuff from 1974, but even then there was better weed.
No that is what the people who smoked it in the 70's say about what they find today.

Either way I can deal with life with out it. Life is not that bad!

Either way the UDI arrest are growing here and it is not alcohol.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
No that is what the people who smoked it in the 70's say about what they find today.
Maybe I had a better supplier in the 70s, or maybe the few times I've tried legal weed since that happened it's wasn't a good store that sold the stuff.

Another explanation though is that those who say it's stronger today are talking about illegal weed that has been spiked by who knows what. I don't smoke weed more than once or twice a year (if that), but one of the reasons I favored making it legal is that the users had no idea what they were smoking. Look at the fake prescription pills today laced with Fentanyl. Illegal drug sellers will do anything to sell a product.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts