Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Regarding mirrors and skill vs backup cameras. My son worked as a lot boy washing vehicles in high school years. One time he had a Class A motorhome in the wash bay, and after he was through detailing it he walked around to make sure all was clear and then backed up (using mirrors only). Meanwhile a mechanic pulled up behind him and parked a brand new GEO off the transport truck. Backing up the class A my son basically squished the GEO. Personally I am all for most new helpful safety features and that includes backup cameras. Last year saw a little girl saved by automatic (and dramatic) braking when she rode her bicycle right out in front of car going through a parking lot with the driver completely looking in the opposite direction that the girl came from.

·
Registered
2018 Z71 Ext. Cab 3.6L Satin Steel
69 Posts
I tried replacing the reverse bulbs with LEDs but it didn't help much. Then I added some aftermarket lights to my rack, now I see everything at night!
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
With LED replacement bulbs in our 2017 Colorado, the backup lights work very well to provide enough light for the camera at night. I think it depends a lot on what LED bulbs are chosen to be used.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Well that is partially true. The main factor is people suck at driving today and just lack a lot of the driving skills most mastered in the first 100 years.

Society progressed with out all the nanny features for years. Granted they are a good thing to have but people still need to learn to use mirrors and vehicle awareness.
I think you may be remembering a history that didn't exist. People weren't that good at doing things. Also, some people back then would rely on their mirrors too much and not bother turning their head to look back when they should have.

But yes, driving skills have gone down. I've said in today's 20-30 somethings drive like 70 year old men from the 1970s.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Those pictures make me wonder if the cargo light could be a solution. I don't think I've ever turned mine on. Never really think about it since I have a T-cover.

Honestly I think it's just the design of the tail lights....seems to be mostly Colorados. Compare the size of backup light areas. I actually think our dome lights are bigger.... 😂

Canyon:

Colorado:

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I think you may be remembering a history that didn't exist. People weren't that good at doing things. Also, some people back then would rely on their mirrors too much and not bother turning their head to look back when they should have.

But yes, driving skills have gone down. I've said in today's 20-30 somethings drive like 70 year old men from the 1970s.
Today people are lazy and too often irresponsible. Not saying everyone was back in the day was but back then often you died not being attentive.

You used your mirrors or paid a price. Remember no seat belts, o air bags etc. they thinned the heard. Today the idiots survive and reproduce back then they went out the windshield.

Same for driving on bias tires, bad suspensions, drum brakes and no Nanny devices. You had to be on a higher level to drive with these as it was not always easy.

Look at a 72 Mustang Mach 1 it had a rear window that you could not see out of but no one complained you learned to use the mirrors.

·
Registered
2019 Z71 Diesel
221 Posts
I believe using the rear view cam in conjunction with the parking assist feature is why you need a good camera view. You can't see past the side views of the mirrors along the tailgate. Even the rear view mirror is limited. This is where the rear camera comes into play.
It's even a helpful tool when you parallel park. 😲 That would be another argument saved for another day.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Look at a 72 Mustang Mach 1 it had a rear window that you could not see out of but no one complained you learned to use the mirrors.
I remember a review of a Countach decades ago that complained about the visibility, but was thankful you could just accelerate into holes in the traffic. :eek:

BTW, there's also my favorite topic about how the Colorado mirrors suck, particularly the right side view. Makes me wish my Duramax had the acceleration of a Countach.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I remember a review of a Countach decades ago that complained about the visibility, but was thankful you could just accelerate into holes in the traffic. :eek:

BTW, there's also my favorite topic about how the Colorado mirrors suck, particularly the right side view. Makes me wish my Duramax had the acceleration of a Countach.
Worst mirrors were on my 1963 Ford Galaxie The one on the drivers side was behind the vent window and a Pillar the one on the left would was behind the vent window. Both were factory mirrors. Lols.

My Fiero has a blind spot that can hide a Semi. then a rear scoop and wing in the back but I can see.

As for Italian cars I remember a movie a guy gets in a Ferrari and rips off the mirror. He said in a Ferrari it does not matter what is behind you!

Never heard Colorado mirrors were bad. I can see everything in mine.

I do hate the ones on the Acadia. They were tilting down in Reverse. My wife se them there. I turned it off as I wanted to see where I was going. Even with the screen I rely on the mirrors.

·
Registered
2020 ZR2 V6 Crew Cab, Summit White
58 Posts
I replaced the reverse bulbs with LEDs and that helped a bit, but I wasn't satisfied so I added a tailgate lightbar and that helps a lot. But if you aren't satisfied you can mount some lights to the rear bumper like I did.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Hood

Reactions: C21964

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Never heard Colorado mirrors were bad. I can see everything in mine.
Part of it is the design of the rear window and the general slope of the truck. It restricts your natural view a lot, meaning a lot more area needs to be covered by the mirrors. Even with Boost mirrors that body design is annoying, but IMHO better than stock is required.

Actually it's only the right side that bothers me. The left mirror was adequate and I have no issues with the rear view mirrors (other than the truck blocks a lot of the view out of it, but that's not the mirror's fault.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Part of it is the design of the rear window and the general slope of the truck. It restricts your natural view a lot, meaning a lot more area needs to be covered by the mirrors. Even with Boost mirrors that body design is annoying, but IMHO better than stock is required.

Actually it's only the right side that bothers me. The left mirror was adequate and I have no issues with the rear view mirrors (other than the truck blocks a lot of the view out of it, but that's not the mirror's fault.
Must just be me then. I see all on either side of me with no issue. What is behind me is just about getting used to the trucks size. Yes I do cheat at times with the camera but many times I just back up as I always have.

If you adapt to a vehicle you just get awareness of how much room you have.

I had one company truck. A Dodge van that has no windows in back and two small mirrors. You just had to get used to it. Same on the GMC one ton box trucks. No cameras just mirrors.

It must just come back to what you grew up with?

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Rear view camera requirements were so people would quit backing over their kids.

GM's rear seat alert is because people can't remember they sired children.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
It must just come back to what you grew up with?
Well possibly. My Ranger is better without using a right mirror than the Colorado is with Boost mirrors. Entirely body design. Also, the other car we have right now is a Subaru Outback, which has excellent visibility. There was another Subaru model we didn't buy due to visibility concerns. I'm not sure I've ever had a vehicle with as bad of visibility as the Colorado, but I also grew up on motorcycles--very good visibility! ;-)

41 - 60 of 103 Posts