Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
I just go slow. It's too bad they don't have some sort of IR system for nighttime use. But I think that would require a different camera--I suspect ours don't "see IR" because mine would see the IR from my Ring camera at the front of the garage.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
I have this problem on my 2019 as well.....even with led reverse bulbs. If I tap the brakes then I can suddenly see everything.
I'll have to try that. I wonder if the electronic brake controller would make the lights come on if there's no trailer connected? I know it can sense the connection, I just don't know what it does without the connection.

Reactions: Resqu2

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
You know there was a time where people used mirrors to back up. I bet that still works. Lol!
There's a reason cameras are required. Mirrors suck at seeing things behind you relative to a good camera angle and view. That's particularly true in pickup trucks with high rear ends.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
If the mirrors are not useful backing up, then it is a lighting issue as opposed to a camera issue.
With an IR capable camera you wouldn't even need the lights--although they would still signal other drivers what you're about to do.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Well that is partially true. The main factor is people suck at driving today and just lack a lot of the driving skills most mastered in the first 100 years.

Society progressed with out all the nanny features for years. Granted they are a good thing to have but people still need to learn to use mirrors and vehicle awareness.
I think you may be remembering a history that didn't exist. People weren't that good at doing things. Also, some people back then would rely on their mirrors too much and not bother turning their head to look back when they should have.

But yes, driving skills have gone down. I've said in today's 20-30 somethings drive like 70 year old men from the 1970s.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Those pictures make me wonder if the cargo light could be a solution. I don't think I've ever turned mine on. Never really think about it since I have a T-cover.

Honestly I think it's just the design of the tail lights....seems to be mostly Colorados. Compare the size of backup light areas. I actually think our dome lights are bigger.... 😂

Canyon:

Colorado:

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Look at a 72 Mustang Mach 1 it had a rear window that you could not see out of but no one complained you learned to use the mirrors.
I remember a review of a Countach decades ago that complained about the visibility, but was thankful you could just accelerate into holes in the traffic. :eek:

BTW, there's also my favorite topic about how the Colorado mirrors suck, particularly the right side view. Makes me wish my Duramax had the acceleration of a Countach.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Never heard Colorado mirrors were bad. I can see everything in mine.
Part of it is the design of the rear window and the general slope of the truck. It restricts your natural view a lot, meaning a lot more area needs to be covered by the mirrors. Even with Boost mirrors that body design is annoying, but IMHO better than stock is required.

Actually it's only the right side that bothers me. The left mirror was adequate and I have no issues with the rear view mirrors (other than the truck blocks a lot of the view out of it, but that's not the mirror's fault.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
It must just come back to what you grew up with?
Well possibly. My Ranger is better without using a right mirror than the Colorado is with Boost mirrors. Entirely body design. Also, the other car we have right now is a Subaru Outback, which has excellent visibility. There was another Subaru model we didn't buy due to visibility concerns. I'm not sure I've ever had a vehicle with as bad of visibility as the Colorado, but I also grew up on motorcycles--very good visibility! ;-)

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
I also rode motorcycles till got to old mainly Harleys as you say great visibility wish all those a**holes that pull out/turn in front of bikers would pay attention to visibility. All they have to do is look when driving there cages.
My closest call was on a one-way road with three lanes and some idiot deciding to take a left turn at the last second from the middle lane.

And like Hyperv6 I gave it up due to safety.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Why should I pay for extra things on my car when I am not the problem.

Now we are having issues with people on legal Pot. It is not the old kid but new strains that are much more potent. We have seen an increase in our area of it contributing to accidents.
1. No one thinks they are the problem.

2. I mentioned here recently how 20-30 somethings drive like 70 year olds from the 1970s. I do wonder how much of that is weed, but weed was around back in the 70s too, so it's hard to say that's the issue.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Not the same weed anymore. What they have today in engineered crap that will make you follow sheep around with bad intentions.
I think that is largely press BS written by people who have never smoked weed. It is better though than the $10 an ounce stuff from 1974, but even then there was better weed.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
No that is what the people who smoked it in the 70's say about what they find today.
Maybe I had a better supplier in the 70s, or maybe the few times I've tried legal weed since that happened it's wasn't a good store that sold the stuff.

Another explanation though is that those who say it's stronger today are talking about illegal weed that has been spiked by who knows what. I don't smoke weed more than once or twice a year (if that), but one of the reasons I favored making it legal is that the users had no idea what they were smoking. Look at the fake prescription pills today laced with Fentanyl. Illegal drug sellers will do anything to sell a product.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Legal weed is not legal if you’re driving- just saying.
Correct, and in Washington anyway it's dependent on blood tests which will read some level well after a "high" is gone. But the issue was the strength of weed today as opposed to the past.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
I was driving the wife's Subaru last night and it's camera clearly works better at night than the Colorado's camera system. But neither work well in the rain. Some cars came with wipers on the headlights, which I always thought was a stupid waste. But there should be a system on cameras to wipe or blow the raindrops off. Ditto my trailer rear camera, but at least it gets better over time if I am moving.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.