Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my 22 Colorado and I’m sure this can be addressed but after dark my backup camera is as dark as it is outside. It’s really unusable. When I need it I’m usually on roads that I’m unfamiliar with anyways and it’s always late Evening/night time. What can I do to get it to where I can see what’s behind me at night? Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I just go slow. It's too bad they don't have some sort of IR system for nighttime use. But I think that would require a different camera--I suspect ours don't "see IR" because mine would see the IR from my Ring camera at the front of the garage.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you're talking about seeing while in reverse, just get some LED replacements at the auto supply. If you're talking about using the 'camera' icon on the screen while driving, I believe you are out of luck.

Reactions: C21964 and Resqu2

·
Registered
26 Posts
LED reverse lights do help. It improved what the camera sees but i find it is still not bright enough. New bush bumper with additional pod LEDs would be best (or pod lights mounted on the existing bumper somehow!?)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're talking about seeing while in reverse, just get some LED replacements at the auto supply. If you're talking about using the 'camera' icon on the screen while driving, I believe you are out of luck.
Yes, seeing while in reverse is what I’m referring to. I will try the LED lights if they are easy to get and install.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
wow, they must have changed tail lights or camers for the 2022's
what has the dealer said about this?
Can you see using the mirrors? If so it is not a reverse light issue, it is a camera issue
Every night I back up into our driveway on a dark street and can see the house, mailbox and bushes clearly prior to backing into the driveway. 95% of the time I use the mirrors

if anything, buy the lights that fit over the receiver hitch and wire into your back up lights

Reactions: Firehk and Resqu2

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow, they must have changed tail lights or camers for the 2022's
what has the dealer said about this?
Can you see using the mirrors? If so it is not a reverse light issue, it is a camera issue
Every night I back up into our driveway on a dark street and can see the house, mailbox and bushes clearly prior to backing into the driveway. 95% of the time I use the mirrors

if anything, buy the lights that fit over the receiver hitch and wire into your back up lights
It’s basically so dark using either the mirrors or camera that I actually ask my Wife look at the back of the truck as I backed up my driveway to see if any lights were there or on. Said she could see the backup lights but from the cab you really don’t know it has any. I haven’t talked to my dealer, wanted to ask here to see if this is just how it is.

·
Registered
2020 ZR2 EC 2.8
32 Posts
I installed some Diode Dynamic XPR921 LED bulbs into the reverse lights. That made a world of difference in light output. The camera image is still pretty lame but useable (and the mirrors work just fine) now. They were expensive, but in the end I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I don't think my camera had this problem (2018).

If it did, I'd wire up some square floods under the bumper, using the reverse light feed to power a relay so the lights switch on/off when coming in and out of reverse, and I'd mount an interrupt switch at the dash so they can be switched off if I don't want them. The kind of switch that resets at key-off, so next time they automatically come on.

But then, your camera might be a washout with white balance. You'd have one heck of a good view in your mirrors though.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I have this problem on my 2019 as well.....even with led reverse bulbs. If I tap the brakes then I can suddenly see everything.
I'll have to try that. I wonder if the electronic brake controller would make the lights come on if there's no trailer connected? I know it can sense the connection, I just don't know what it does without the connection.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
this is what I was talking about above

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can agree that the reverse lights suck, even worse after I went with aftermarket tail lights. I didn't want to do cutting for the cubes so I just installed a tailgate lightbar from opt7. Works well and gives out enough light output to see stuff with the camera..

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
I just had this same issue. Lightly pressing on the brakes to get the lights to come on helped me, but I'm looking for a permanent fix and I think that is going to be flush mounting some LED pod lights in the rear bumper as others on here have done. I will be triggering mine with my switch pros, but I believe others have triggered theirs by tapping into the reverse lights themselves.

·
Registered
2019 zr2 gas crew cab. Avs aeroskin hood guard and hs2 havoc step bars. Weather tech splash guards
400 Posts
The best solution I had on this was mounting led flood light pods under the bumper and wiring them in to come in on reverse. The replacement LEDs for the OEM reverse light location helps, but I ended up ditching those in favor of the light pods mounted low for better visibility. Plus you can really see to use your mirrors at night with the light pods.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
2,006 Posts
I’m gonna add lights controlled via the bed lamp switch. That way they cancel when I put it in a forward gear and I only have them come on when I want to.

I’m thinking about flushing something into the hole where the tire jack goes as I removed it but the hole is rather smallish. I found a cheap led projector fog light for a motorcycle that has a nice cutoff line im gonna play around with mounting up in there

1 - 20 of 99 Posts