Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2018 about a month ago. I have an odd issue with the back up camera. First started with the guide lines not appearing in when first put in reverse. If I put it back in park then reverse they would show up. This was intermittent and dealer unable to duplicate. The guidelines then started disappearing mid back up. The next issue is the camera button being grey out. Again this is intermittent but getting worse. To fix it being greyed out I either put it in reverse then back in park or shut the truck off and start it back up. I tried everything from going really slow in the vehicle start up to just hopping in and going. I can't find any common denominator. Any ideas, the dealer is stumped and I am as well. Thanks

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I purchased my 2018 about a month ago. I have an odd issue with the back up camera. First started with the guide lines not appearing in when first put in reverse. If I put it back in park then reverse they would show up. This was intermittent and dealer unable to duplicate. The guidelines then started disappearing mid back up. The next issue is the camera button being grey out. Again this is intermittent but getting worse. To fix it being greyed out I either put it in reverse then back in park or shut the truck off and start it back up. I tried everything from going really slow in the vehicle start up to just hopping in and going. I can't find any common denominator. Any ideas, the dealer is stumped and I am as well. Thanks
Hmmmm. I would say whatever unit is responsible for sending the camera signal to the screen is bad. Maybe it just needs a software reboot/re-flash whatever they call it. Maybe you can ask the dealer to do a re-flash to the thing under warranty just to see what happens. If it keeps it up a new module would be the way to go. Good luck getting them to do anything to it sense it's intermittent right?

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you have a smart phone maybe you can make a video of the trouble when it occurs and show it to the service dept.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm having this exact same issue in my 2018 Canyon. I put it on reverse and most times the lines won't show up. The image is also a little off and it turns gray at times. I was going to wait for my first oil change to take it in.

·
Registered
515 Posts
+++1. My 2018 Canyon does this as well. I was so stumped when it first happened, no guide lines and no selection buttons between backup camera and trailer backup. It's been happening more often. I've had the truck for a few months now.

I'm currently fighting with my dealer over transmission shudder (18-NA-177), a faulty solenoid, and suspension lean (18-NA-108 ) so the camera is low on my list of priorities but once I get over these roadblocks I'll ask them about it as well.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Similar issue w/my wife's former 2015 Chrysler T&C...they (dealer) ended up swapping the rear unit (faulty). Should be a warranty fix.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Ive had this issue with my 16 colorado... took mine to the dealer, but they couldnt replicate (of course). Ive had the lines not show, a blue screen, and a black screen.. and i never could get the dealer to see that ... I gave up... it seems that its a bug in the system they designed, that we (at least I am) are stuck with... it ussually fixes itself after a truck restart, or on its own randomly

·
Registered
2 Posts
My backup camera will randomly flicker on and off on its own. Any idea what may be causing this? It also only seems to do it when it rains. I’m not sure if that’s just a coincidence or not though. I’m stumped. Also sorry about the background talk in the video I had a car full of people and wanted to get a video of it while it was doing it.

https://youtu.be/pIqnasX-kkY

·
Registered
6 Posts
My truck just recently started the same changing to the camera issue. It randomly shows the rear camera, but isn't lit up bright or show the guidelines. What makes it even weirder is the radio screen is still "there". I can push where the presets are normally and the station will change. Think I'll try disconnecting the battery for a bit see if that resets the system. Anyone else have any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
small update, i found the camera glitch only occurs when the lights are on. DRLs don't trigger it, only when the auto lights come on, or the switch is moved from auto to parking or full on.

·
Registered
173 Posts
small update, i found the camera glitch only occurs when the lights are on. DRLs don't trigger it, only when the auto lights come on, or the switch is moved from auto to parking or full on.
What year do you have?

If it is an 18, sounds like the parking light and reverse wires are shorting together somewhere. When the reverse wire see 12v it will trigger the hmi bypass module and display camera without the guidelines and will remain at current brightness level. Since it is only happening with lights on it is most likely the parking light feeding the reverse wire.

I would start by checking out both taillight connectors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's an 18. Yesterday I pulled the negative battery terminal for a few hours. That did the trick. No more camera when three shouldn't be

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my '18 CC V6. When leaving the house with lights on, Not DRL's, radio display appears normal then the back up display comes on (5-10 seconds) then off again, after a few minutes it stays on. I drove 15 miles with it on, then the sun came up and the DRL's switched on, the camera went off. I have diode dynamics LED tail lights and B/U lamps (with the recommended diodes) for the past 8 months with no issue but I am afraid the dealer will blame those and run away.
We have had a lot of rain (for So Cal) lately so I wonder if it's something to do with extra moisture ?
I like your idea Sephia I will try that but does anyone think it's the LED bulbs causing this ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought my 2019 kinetic blue zr1 trail runner and less than a week of owning it the back up camera stopped working, a blue screen appears telling me to service it. Had to make the dealer take back the lemon Pacific blue Colorado with transmission problems and here we go again with a different truck, hopefully this is the only thing wrong.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My '18 CC W/T does the same thing, grid lines randomly disappearing but otherwise functions properly. A reflash by the dealer didn't solve it. The radio will also turn on randomly when the passenger door is opened without the key in the ignition. Dealer is stumped.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please lmk if you have been able to diagnose this issue. My dealer has updated the system, and done a full screen swap on the inside with no change. I think it must be a wiring issue near the bumper or a faulty camera. I'd like to have some knowledge before I go back in. Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my '18 CC V6. When leaving the house with lights on, Not DRL's, radio display appears normal then the back up display comes on (5-10 seconds) then off again, after a few minutes it stays on. I drove 15 miles with it on, then the sun came up and the DRL's switched on, the camera went off. I have diode dynamics LED tail lights and B/U lamps (with the recommended diodes) for the past 8 months with no issue but I am afraid the dealer will blame those and run away.
We have had a lot of rain (for So Cal) lately so I wonder if it's something to do with extra moisture ?
I like your idea Sephia I will try that but does anyone think it's the LED bulbs causing this ?
Yes it’s the after market leds that causes it. My 2018 Sierra did the exact same thing and after taking it to the dealer a few times it was determined to be the leds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts