Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the Auto Ventshade Bugflector II Smoke Finish Hood Shield but I'm not so sure I like it. First the metal clips that you slide onto the hood were really tight and even though there is tape you put on first to protect the hood, because the clips were so tight they appeared to have pushed the tape out of the way...now I'm concern those clips damaged the paint on my hood :sad:.

Second (and it might just be my OCD kicking in) but I seem to notice the hood fluttering more and I swear that I'm getting a very soft but perceptible droning noise when driving now. The shield is definitely installed right and maybe I'm just noticing stuff that was already there.

Just wonder if others who installed it were seeing/hearing similar things?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just bought one because of nicks already in the paint from stones. I have not installed it yet.
I will let you know...
I noticed the hood does flutter without the shield though.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Bend the clips apart a bit before installing. Not sure if that's how they are in general, or the ones I got were really tight. Also I had to trim a bit of the caulking away on the under side of the hood where the clips sit using a box cutter. That was my only complaint with installing, wasn't thrill with this design aspect of the shield.

I had a similar AVS bug shield on my 2005 Caynon and it just screwed in to the hood from the underside, no clips were attached to the hood. Not sure why AVS changed to needing clips.

I had the hood flutter a bit after 75MPH, but I seem to be noticing it more now below 75MPH, then again we've been having some windy days so could just be that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nope don't like it!! You asked.
Dealer put one on my sons Canyon and we took it off. And yes those clips dig into the paint. We did pry them off with a plastic tool by opening them up but they still left marks in the paint. I took some rubbing compound and worked on the marks and got most of the lines out. Certain light conditions you can still see them.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope don't like it!! You asked.
Dealer put one on my sons Canyon and we took it off. And yes those clips dig into the paint. We did pry them off with a plastic tool by opening them up but they still left marks in the paint. I took some rubbing compound and worked on the marks and got most of the lines out. Certain light conditions you can still see them.
Yeah, that's my worry too if I remove it. What was it you didn't like about it?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I installed a Weathertech on my 2016 Equinox that went on easy with no drilling or slide on clips. Ordered a Weathertech for my Colorado and same thing as what you found with the AVS. It is still sitting on my workbench in the garage and I am about ready to throw it out as I do not like having to cut up the weatherstripping under the hood, drill holes, and depend on slide on metal clips. This is such a simple hood design and I do not understand why nobody can come up with a good deflector. Read the on-line instructions for the deflector from GM and it is the same design.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went with the AVS Aeroskin instead because I didn't care for the design on the Bug(de)flector... I have them on my TrailBlazer and Colorado. They don't deflect any bugs that I have seen but they do help with the little paint chips you get on the front.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
+1 for the AVS Aeroskin. I put one on right before all any summer driving trips. Protests against stone chips and I keep it polished with a silicone sealer/wax. The bugs come off easily then. The bugs mostly hit that leading part of the hood so this works well.

I did not want a deflector that dug into paint, not did I want to drill holes. That would be the first place paint blister and rust would start.

No drone or added noise either.

Reactions: Blacrose

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1 for the AVS Aeroskin. I put one on right before all any summer driving trips. Protests against stone chips and I keep it polished with a silicone sealer/wax. The bugs come off easily then. The bugs mostly hit that leading part of the hood so this works well.

I did not want a deflector that dug into paint, not did I want to drill holes. That would be the first place paint blister and rust would start.

No drone or added noise either.
Might have to look into that Areoskin then, not concern about bugs, but was noticing chips on the front of the hood and with winter coming wanted to get ahead game.

Don't need to worry about a rust from screwing into the hood, our trucks use aluminum hoods. If I remove the bug deflector I just installed will fill the holes with black silicon.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Don't need to worry about a rust from screwing into the hood, our trucks use aluminum hoods. If I remove the bug deflector I just installed will fill the holes with black silicon.
Well, not "iron rust" . . aluminum "rust" It oxidizes also into a whitish powder. And the paint will peel right off.

And if you live in an area where you would have salt exposure from the road or sea...salt eats aluminum.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I went with the AVS Aeroskin instead because I didn't care for the design on the Bug(de)flector... I have them on my TrailBlazer and Colorado. They don't deflect any bugs that I have seen but they do help with the little paint chips you get on the front.
Another vote for the Aeroskin, no clips, no flex in the wind, nice product.

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
AVS 436113 Aeroskin II Matte Black Textured Hood Shield is the one that will be going on my truck. I have been able to look at a couple of of them and I really like the look and mounting method.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you thought about a clear bra or ppf? I have had those on all my cars and they are practically invisible. Plus once removed, you can't tell you ever had one on. Just another idea...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Living in the rust belt, I am concerned that moisture/salt can get trapped between the hood and any deflector that hugs tight against the hood such as a bra or the Aeroskin. Is that a justifiable concern? Had a 2014 Equinox that had a problem like many others with moisture getting trapped by the weatherstripping on the lower portions of the door. Paint bubbled and rust started developing in two years.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Living in the rust belt, I am concerned that moisture/salt can get trapped between the hood and any deflector that hugs tight against the hood such as a bra or the Aeroskin. Is that a justifiable concern? Had a 2014 Equinox that had a problem like many others with moisture getting trapped by the weatherstripping on the lower portions of the door. Paint bubbled and rust started developing in two years.
The Aeroskin doesn't actually touch the paint. The double sided fastening tape gives it about .020, or so, gap. Enough that the needles from my pine tree will wash through. If salt/slush did get between, it could be flushed easily.

·
Registered
345 Posts

Ended up with the EGR version. Uses clips on the end, but also uses 3M clear bra tape before putting clips on. Went off-roading through lots of rain, huge rain divets in the road for about 100miles and 75-85mph on the highway. Over 1200 miles on it and the clips haven’t even tried to come off. Paint looks great nearby it as well. Love the look personally, the matte black matches the ZR2 hood and grille pretty perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Was hoping to hear more from others that installed the AVS Bugdeflector II as I got it based on some others past post I saw here.

I like the looks of it, but I definitely notice the hood fluttering more at lower speeds. At this point I'm leaning on removing it, but concern those friggen metal clips have damaged the paint by my hood where they slid (use that term loosely) on.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.