Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
So I was just getting ready to order one when I hit a snag. The directions state temperature must be above 60F. I won't see that until April. Also won't see any flying bugs until then either.

This gives me another three months of research. I'll keep looking for a better mouse trap (bug deflector). Why?

Gusto!
Road Trip? I've used every excuse imaginable for road trips, so having to go south for the warmth to install a part sounds like a good enough reason.

To keep it looking good along with the bed rails and few other places, use 303 Protectant. After 1.5 years, mine is still looking good and it has stayed nice and black.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I do believe you can get without or the Weathertech one is the same without the bulge. Reason behind it is for more protection offered to the windshield and hood.

Aeroskin WITHOUT the bump...

https://www.realtruck.com/avs-aeroskin-bug-shield/R182873P2018Y750MA.html
I just ordered the one above w/o the bump. I guess I wanted less protection. I just like the look better. I know it will make a difference once bug seaon arrives.

@RayS. I now have that reason for a trip South

Gusto!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The bulge is the part that is supposed to redirect air flow and help keep bugs off the windshield. It could also help keep the lower flying rocks from skipping off your hood into your windshield. I have one on my truck and the some of the darn bugs still find a way to run into the windshield. I believe the original Aeroskin does not have the bulge.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Good choice? The one with the raised bump along the length. I have one ready to install. Being the truck go's to the dealer Monday for some warranty things, thinking I may just have them do the install.
I have this one on my Cardinal Red Canyon, I liked it the moment I saw it. I like the black against the red, matches the GM fender flares I installed last year too.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Here is what I went with. See above for link. It blends in real nice with the black. Almost invisible and a perfect fit. It will protect the nose but is not a deflector. In that it won't direct the bugs over the top of the truck. I would recommend this as an option.

BTW - it was over 55 ° here yesterday. With truck warm no issues getting to the 60° recommend temp for installation.

Gusto!

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
Here is what I went with. See above for link. It blends in real nice with the black. Almost invisible and a perfect fit. It will protect the nose but is not a deflector. In that it won't direct the bugs over the top of the truck. I would recommend this as an option.

BTW - it was over 55 ° here yesterday. With truck warm no issues getting to the 60° recommend temp for installation.

Gusto!
That really does blend in nice with the truck. It was just slightly warmer in South Carolina yesterday than what you had in main, we hit 60.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
After these have been on the truck for 6-8 months look underneath and see what it's done to the paint. I've run these on 3-4 different rigs and all had the same problem, crap under the shield attacks the paint. You need to remove a couple a times a year and polish and wax the leading edge of the hood. I do like the look but not worth the hassle anymore.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
After these have been on the truck for 6-8 months look underneath and see what it's done to the paint. I've run these on 3-4 different rigs and all had the same problem, crap under the shield attacks the paint. You need to remove a couple a times a year and polish and wax the leading edge of the hood. I do like the look but not worth the hassle anymore.
Agree. Was wondering about this being an issue down the road (pun intended).

Gusto!

·
Registered
12 Posts
So....I installed the Aeroskin II and it seems I have this crazy wind noise now , almost like a window is open.

I made sure it's on correctly and level

Anybody else experiencing this ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm also serious about getting a bug deflector. I went on my first road trip last week and the bugs were terrible, but worse was getting hit by a small rock and chipping my windshield just an inch above the passenger wiper blade on the black part of the glass. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal because you couldn't see it from the inside and most insurance companies will fix rock chips for free.

Next morning it was a 6 inch crack up the windshield and by that afternoon it was 12 inches up and spreading across in both directions and up towards the drivers side. Safelite quoted me 400 plus out of pocket because of my high deductible for a new windshield this Friday.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm also serious about getting a bug deflector. I went on my first road trip last week and the bugs were terrible, but worse was getting hit by a small rock and chipping my windshield just an inch above the passenger wiper blade on the black part of the glass. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal because you couldn't see it from the inside and most insurance companies will fix rock chips for free.

Next morning it was a 6 inch crack up the windshield and by that afternoon it was 12 inches up and spreading across in both directions and up towards the drivers side. Safelite quoted me 400 plus out of pocket because of my high deductible for a new windshield this Friday.
Dude, literally the same thing happened to me. When I got my windshield replaced the guy who did it mentioned that it was fairly common on the Colorado's. I've been thinking about just pulling the trigger on one and I think you reporting the same exact damage might have just sold me.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dude, literally the same thing happened to me. When I got my windshield replaced the guy who did it mentioned that it was fairly common on the Colorado's. I've been thinking about just pulling the trigger on one and I think you reporting the same exact damage might have just sold me.

Well now this is funny because I have a crack in the exact same spot on my 19 zr2. Got it after a month of ownership (happened in January). I still need to have it replaced. Got the aero skin II this spring to mitigate bugs and stones from the wonderful Michigan roads from destroying the front edge of my hood. I really like the product and it's very secure. Been through a couple car washes with it and it's still solid. If you zoom in close you can see the crack on the lower passenger side windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've had the Aeroskin II for about 2 years and it looks as good as the day I put it on. Fortunately, I have not had any windshield issues.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So....I installed the Aeroskin II and it seems I have this crazy wind noise now , almost like a window is open.

I made sure it's on correctly and level

Anybody else experiencing this ?
No. First I have heard of this. Only thing I have noticed is that on the back edge towards the windshield, the tape has started to lift ever so slightly in the middle. Not a problem at this point. It is on solid. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I just ordered the one above w/o the bump. I guess I wanted less protection. I just like the look better. I know it will make a difference once bug seaon arrives.

@RayS. I now have that reason for a trip South

Gusto!
Okay - had it less than a year (see link below) and it cracked. Took it off and now the front of my truck looks horrible. When it warms up I’ll try to buff it up to get all the marks left behind from this deflector. Yep, sand got between nose of truck and deflector and scratched (looks like sand blasted) that area.

Hopefully I can fix it myself. The funny or sad thing is if I can’t I might be forced to put another one on to hide this unsightly mess.

Live and learn,
Gusto!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts