Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! as my 9835 wont accept or eject disks i have been reading about some double din head units.
first was the clarion, now this model from pioneer. i like the ipod features, nav, dvd playback, XM and the idea of xm nav traffic. except the only cities in Canada it supports are Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver :(. all these features are on other models (minus nav traffic, that i know of). i plan to be using the ipod, xm features and perhaps bluetooth and reverse camera in the future. i notice all these 2din units only have a 3 band EQ, do they sound good, or would an EQ be in order? there anything else in the price range of the AVIC-Z2 that i should look at? i am ready to purchase as soon as i can.

BTW, i have looked into the alpine, kenwood, and clarion alternatives.

Thanks guys!

·
Banned
433 Posts
i did quite a bit of research and the kenwood dnx7100 fit my needs. it took a week to get used to its little quirks but once i got used to them i found the quirks to be very user friendly. i took kendwood because of hard drive nav and not dvd nav. Garmin maps are working quite nicely. One thing I do miss is all the eq options from my old eclipse cd player in my jetta. Didnt keep it because i wanted a stock look in the truck.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, thats the thing, ive heard the garmin nav. is far better than w/e is used in the pioneer.

i didnt realize that the kenwood plays ipod video as well... i was looking at DBnissans setup, a kenwood. im looking to get an ipod soon (i know, im WAY behind the times :p ) and knowing the hu can play video will influence how big of ipod i get. i will look into the kenwood again, as i didnt look too hard into it, just passed it over kinda, doh!

it seems once you get to a price point, they all have the features, just some work better than others. ie. nav, they all got it, but from what ive read the garmin nav is the best. and little things like ipod functionality, user interface, etc.

Thanks for the reply! am looking into it right away.

EDIT:

Is XM supported by the kenwood unit? the site lists only sirius and HD.

·
Banned
433 Posts
yes xm is supported and xm traffic as well.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright chnky, i got a few little questions for ya.
does it read mp3 from dvd's?
does the ipod dock charge the ipod?
hows the tilt? does it work well for where the unit is in our trucks?
the only bad thing the reviewers have to say about it seems to be the interface. is it half easy to get used to? thats about the only thing holding me back on this one.
im a pretty big techie in my mind, but if the interface is THAT bad, it may not be worth the savings (over the avic-z2).

Do you have any cons other than the lack of audio processing options?

Thanks!

·
Banned
433 Posts
-im pretty sure it reads mp3's from dvd but i will have to double check for ya.
-yes the cable charges the ipod, i havent taken my ipod out of my truck in 2 months.
-there are 6-7 tilt options, i played with it and found one i like.
-as for the interface, i was saying earlier that it takes a week or so to get used to then after that it is very handy. Kenwood has always been one to have a little different UI but I played with the Alpine, pioneer, clarion, eclipse and kenwood and liked the kenwood the best.

The other con is the price to update the maps. There are a few new highways where I live built after the map for this unit. You can order an SD card with the new maps on it from garmin for 199. OUTRAGEOUS.

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
I can navigate around my DDX8019 pretty well with the remote and not have to look at it. I also have the Garmin XM NavTraffic and absolutely love it! Most cases where cities are not supported, the highways will be. Meaning the city streets are not going to have NavTraffic reports but the main highways through those cities will. Double check XM's website for clarification on your specific area.

You can get Garmin's 2008 MapSource update for $110 shipped on ebay. Still not cheap but may be worth the cost if you travel to unknown cities often.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-City-Navigat ... dZViewItem

Also, the System Q EX Sound Control in the DDX8019 Excelon is very precise. There may only be 3 bands (Bass, Mid & Treble) but you can adjust by frequency, Q-Factor as well as volume for each band.

You can find more info here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/ ... ailed_info

·
Banned
433 Posts
DBNissan said:
I can navigate around my DDX8019 pretty well with the remote and not have to look at it. I also have the Garmin XM NavTraffic and absolutely love it! Most cases where cities are not supported, the highways will be. Meaning the city streets are not going to have NavTraffic reports but the main highways through those cities will. Double check XM's website for clarification on your specific area.

You can get Garmin's 2008 MapSource update for $110 shipped on ebay. Still not cheap but may be worth the cost if you travel to unknown cities often.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-City-Navigat ... dZViewItem
Hey DB seeing how dnx7100 was last years model, does that mean it was version 07 and this 08 is gonna be the only release this year or will there be more?

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
There will be more. Cities are constantly growing and maps need to be updated just as quickly lol

I have been to many places that my Garmin did not have streets for. It looked like the snail trail on the map just randomly went off road :lol:

BTW, I forgot to mention that the Bluetooth hands free module is pricey but worth it. I was driving on the highway with all windows down and the sunroof open and my caller could hear me clearly :D

·
Banned
433 Posts
gotcha thanks looks like ill wait til later in the year

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is the dnx7100 pretty much the same as your unit there DB? i see your model is discontinued.

also, about the bluetooth, thanks. that will be one of the first add-ons along with the ipod and xm. do you pay extra for the nav traffic subscription? or is it included with the xm radio subscription? the site is kinda funky...

i also noticed that accessories are cheaper for the kenwood than the Z2, im pretty set on the kenwood now.

on a side note, just got back from the dealer and they ordered me a new 4x4 switch. switch went (already?!), so thats the reason its stuck in 4wd.

also DB where do you get all your sweet avatars?!

·
Banned
433 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...i hope DB's unit is the one that needs the other box, and ours has it built in, correct? if i need to pay another 500-700 ontop of the 1000 for the dnx7100, no thanks.

the 2v pre outs are fine for me :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Shorty2301 said:
...i hope DB's unit is the one that needs the other box, and ours has it built in, correct? if i need to pay another 500-700 ontop of the 1000 for the dnx7100, no thanks.

the 2v pre outs are fine for me :)
Shop around on the internet for Kenwood receivers/modules, as there's cheaper places other than Crutchfield.

·
Banned
433 Posts

·
Banned
433 Posts
no prob...i used to be all ebay but i found those places and did some business with them and have never had a problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts