Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I put my deposit down just over a month ago, with a dealer that claims to be the #1 GM volume dealer in Canada recently, specifically because I read that higher volume = more allocations.

It's now been over a month, still no allocation. How long should I expect to wait? Does the build sheet determine allocation eligibility? I've got a CCLB V6 on order...dealer mentioned the long wheelbase would mean a longer lead time, but couldn't give much of an estimate on how much it might affect things. "3 to 6 months" is what I was told from start to finish.

And, once the allocation comes through, what's the average time to production, and then delivery? When can I realistically expect the truck?

·
Premium Member
2022 ZR2 Bison
340 Posts
I can only speak from my experience.....

Left a deposit for a build on Nov. 9, '21. Absolutely no progress and no signs of anything from the dealer or GM. Dealer says waiting on GM - GM says waiting on allocation from the dealer. End of February I started looking elsewhere and found a similar model next state over. Purchased it and am in the process of doing the upgrades that would have been there had my order gone through.

·
Premium Member
2022 ZR2 Bison
340 Posts
Just checked out of curiousity.....same message:

Virtual Assistant
at 13:22, Mar 18:
Your order has been submitted by your dealer but has not officially been accepted by GM at this time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have been at 1100 for 2 months 0n a ZR2 CCSB and a lot of guys here have been at 1100 longer than me. I just took delivery of a 2022 Blazer that took 8 weeks and 6 days from the day I ordered it to the day I drove it home, ordered Dec 28, 2021 - delivered Feb 28, 2022. Not sure WTF is going on with the Colorado's, as finding out constraints and allocations is virtually impossible on a regular basis.

·
Registered
52 Posts
About a week ago I put a deposit down on an order for a ZR2 EC diesel, haven't heard anything about an allocation yet. Supposedly no constraints on my order.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh boy :\ not exactly encouraging news! I guess I'll cross my fingers that it comes sooner rather than later. My dealer did say they would get back to me by end of month with a) guaranteed finance rate b) an ETA on allocation timing, so hopefully that means progress is being made.

·
Registered
2018 Kinetic Blue Ex-Cab ZR2 V6
2,374 Posts
Dealers only get a certain amount of allocations per certain period (might be 1/4, might be model year 🤷‍♂️ ). If your dealer used theirs, you need to wait until they receive more in the next time period. There is a huge thread about this in the Cadillac Blackwing forums that even went as far as showing the number of allocations per dealer.

BTW, there are folks waiting for over a year for just the allocation on their BW, not including build time.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dealers only get a certain amount of allocations per certain period (might be 1/4, might be model year 🤷‍♂️ ). If your dealer used theirs, you need to wait until they receive more in the next time period. There is a huge thread about this in the Cadillac Blackwing forums that even went as far as showing the number of allocations per dealer.

BTW, there are folks waiting for over a year for just the allocation on their BW, not including build time.
...woah. Well fingers crossed the fact that I got in relatively early bodes well. Do you know if the "model ratio" of allocations varies dealer to dealer? Like one dealer will get 10 Canyons and 10 yukons, another will get 5 canyons and 30 yukons...dealer #2 is "bigger" but dealer #1 actually has a better shot at a Canyon? If that make sense?

Maybe I'll start passing my build sheet to some other local dealers and seeing what they say...

·
Registered
2018 Kinetic Blue Ex-Cab ZR2 V6
2,374 Posts
...woah. Well fingers crossed the fact that I got in relatively early bodes well. Do you know if the "model ratio" of allocations varies dealer to dealer? Like one dealer will get 10 Canyons and 10 yukons, another will get 5 canyons and 30 yukons...dealer #2 is "bigger" but dealer #1 actually has a better shot at a Canyon? If that make sense?

Maybe I'll start passing my build sheet to some other local dealers and seeing what they say...
As far as I can tell, allocations are assigned by past average order volume, if that makes sense. So dealers that are #1 in sales might pump out a bunch of stock cars, but have very little custom orders, so their allocations might be lower. Then again, if you are at a high volume dealer, there is a higher chance of filling those allocations faster. Then vice versa where a smaller dealer might mainly do custom orders and receive more allocations.

Never hurts to shop/ask around. Maybe a different dealer has something very similar to your order on the way. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
302 Posts

I think I should chime in. I work for a GMC Buick Cadillac dealer. Allocation comes from a few things and we dealers have no control over it:

1: How long your inventory stay on your lot on average. Example, our Escalades sit here for maybe a week at most before they get sold, GM sees that we move these units quick and will allocate us more order opportunities.

2: Volume of sales of course affects how many we are able to order. We sell the most Escalades in western Canada, GM keeps upping the number we can order per year.

3: Those annoying customer service surveys. Most people completely disregard these but they are absolutely crucial for dealers to receive as many as possible.

So in summary, GM sees we sell a ton of units with very short time on ground and our customers love us. We get extra allocations thrown our way from time to time because we do such a great job.

Fingers crossed your dealership is honest and will communicate to you exactly what the status is. Don't harass them weekly for an update, and absolutely ask around... just make sure your deposit is refundable as not every dealer will refund it on a factory order.

Reactions: Opusnbill7

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
T
I think I should chime in. I work for a GMC Buick Cadillac dealer. Allocation comes from a few things and we dealers have no control over it:

1: How long your inventory stay on your lot on average. Example, our Escalades sit here for maybe a week at most before they get sold, GM sees that we move these units quick and will allocate us more order opportunities.

2: Volume of sales of course affects how many we are able to order. We sell the most Escalades in western Canada, GM keeps upping the number we can order per year.

3: Those annoying customer service surveys. Most people completely disregard these but they are absolutely crucial for dealers to receive as many as possible.

So in summary, GM sees we sell a ton of units with very short time on ground and our customers love us. We get extra allocations thrown our way from time to time because we do such a great job.

Fingers crossed your dealership is honest and will communicate to you exactly what the status is. Don't harass them weekly for an update, and absolutely ask around... just make sure your deposit is refundable as not every dealer will refund it on a factory order.
Thanks for the awesome / detailed reply! Deposit is refundable, so I guess I'll start calling around...wish me luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
T

Thanks for the awesome / detailed reply! Deposit is refundable, so I guess I'll start calling around...wish me luck!
I had one on order from October, I went on the GMC website and found one that the customer backed out because they were down south, so I scoped it up 2 weeks ago.
Just a heads up thou the web site is not 100% current but wort a shot.
Apparently though the one I did order was priority 1 what ever that means.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I had one on order from October, I went on the GMC website and found one that the customer backed out because they were down south, so I scoped it up 2 weeks ago.
Just a heads up thou the web site is not 100% current but wort a shot.
Apparently though the one I did order was priority 1 what ever that means.
I've tried, but the only CCLB "in inventory" are Denalis and I don't want a Denali :'( good point though, I suppose I can keep checking. EDIT: I found two canyon AT4 leather that are CCLB, but in the wrong colours with the wrong options. 😭

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I do not know the full context here but here is what my wife heard today.

She us part of the chamber of commerce. The net this morning and she spoke to the manager of the local Chevy and Subaru dealer. The manager said to get a new Subaru was 2-3 months while the Chevy is 8 months.

I do not know if that is just an average or specific model. based on the empty lot it may be all models.

So please do not take this as gospel as again I do not have all the details since I was not there.

Nore the dealer is part of a large dealer network over many states in the Midwest and south.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So here's the update - I contacted ~15 dealers in my region today, one of them said yes they have an allocation, they have 5 allocations for this Tuesday's order, 3 are spoken for, 2 are stock trucks, but he can replace one of the stock trucks with mine.

So I call my original dealer (who I really like) and ask them if it's ok if I back out because I found another allocation. They are shocked to hear someone else has allocation, but admit it's not impossible, say they want me to get the truck as quickly as I can, they have no issue with me backing out, they'll refund the deposit in full, etc. They're awesome. They also caution strongly that a lot of dealers will say they have it to get the sale, but then things will come up and it won't get placed, etc...so to make damn sure I get an order number and a 2000+ status code before I proceed.

So I call back the new dealer and they say that yes, if I confirm today, it will go in on Tuesday (2000), get accepted Wed or Thurs (3000), away we go. BUT - the sale has to be binding. Deposit isn't refundable, I can't back out. My configuration (CCLB) is "weird" and they don't want to waste one of their rare allocation spots on the chance that I back out and now they're stuck with a truck they can't sell. I told them I don't like the idea of a non-refundable deposit given the lead-time would still be measured in months, they won't budge.

So dealer #1 is awesome, swears they'll get me the truck, but does not have it right now. Dealer #2 is sketchy, swears they have the truck, but are forcing me to commit in full by Monday at latest, with no real guarantee GM will accept it until they either do or don't on Wednesday.

UUGGGGHHHHH...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
302 Posts
So here's the update - I contacted ~15 dealers in my region today, one of them said yes they have an allocation, they have 5 allocations for this Tuesday's order, 3 are spoken for, 2 are stock trucks, but he can replace one of the stock trucks with mine.

So I call my original dealer (who I really like) and ask them if it's ok if I back out because I found another allocation. They are shocked to hear someone else has allocation, but admit it's not impossible, say they want me to get the truck as quickly as I can, they have no issue with me backing out, they'll refund the deposit in full, etc. They're awesome. They also caution strongly that a lot of dealers will say they have it to get the sale, but then things will come up and it won't get placed, etc...so to make damn sure I get an order number and a 2000+ status code before I proceed.

So I call back the new dealer and they say that yes, if I confirm today, it will go in on Tuesday (2000), get accepted Wed or Thurs (3000), away we go. BUT - the sale has to be binding. Deposit isn't refundable, I can't back out. My configuration (CCLB) is "weird" and they don't want to waste one of their rare allocation spots on the chance that I back out and now they're stuck with a truck they can't sell. I told them I don't like the idea of a non-refundable deposit given the lead-time would still be measured in months, they won't budge.

So dealer #1 is awesome, swears they'll get me the truck, but does not have it right now. Dealer #2 is sketchy, swears they have the truck, but are forcing me to commit in full by Monday at latest, with no real guarantee GM will accept it until they either do or don't on Wednesday.

UUGGGGHHHHH...

Thoughts?
Sticky situation, really glad to hear how your dealership is handling the whole thing.

What does your gut say?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah my dealer has been nothing short of amazing the whole process. My gut says stick with them and wait, I just don't want to end up in a scenario where the order never ends up getting built. Really don't want the new '23 version with the turbo 4.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Yeah my dealer has been nothing short of amazing the whole process. My gut says stick with them and wait, I just don't want to end up in a scenario where the order never ends up getting built. Really don't want the new '23 version with the turbo 4.
If you want a long bed this may be your last shot. None of the mules have shown a extra cab or long bed yet.

Not sure either will be back.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how come you don't want the 2023s? Just curious

1 - 20 of 169 Posts