Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any outlets in the truck that are powered even with the key off? Or is there are way to power one of them?
The one in the dash and one in back of console are not powered with key turned off.

I want to plug my ozone generator in when I park it for the night while hunting to eliminate the stink off my hunting clothes. I want to put one in the bed of the truck also, any hot wires running to the back I can splice into?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am going add two two switched power outlets and make all my stock outlets full-time power

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let us know how you do it.

·
Registered
11,476 Posts
Fuse position F44/40 allows to switch between always powered or where it powers down when you kill the engine. There is a thread on this somewhere. Fuse is located in the cabin fuse box at passenger kick panel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am going to use a
GEREE Waterproof DC Converter 8-22V To 5V 3A/15W Dual Power Adapter DC To DC Buck Converter Step Down Power Supply Module Car Power Converter Double USB Cable Connector Car Charger 12V To 5V
Sold by: GEREE
$9.87 and micro accessory tap to plug into the fuse box.

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
While looking for the 40/44 fuse you mentioned I found this ink to the electrical system someone posted. It is labeled as 2015 but not much has changed

https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/me...Builders_Manual_Service_Manual_2015_en_US.pdf

F40 & F44 are the fuses for the cigarette light Auxiliary Power Outlet (APO) units. I remember that much. Depending on where you place the fuse in F40/F44, you can give continuous power to those outlets or key on power only.

Took a look at the Body Upfitter schematics. (Go to the 2nd gen electrical forum to find the stickied thread that will link you to this manual, a big help in trouble shooting electrical issues. )

Ah heck, here is that thread. There is one on the APO fuse swap as well.

Free Electrical Diagram Colorado/ Canyon 2015

F40/F44 is a 50 amp fuse that is an either/or selection for power to the APO circuit. F39 & F41 are individual 15 amp fuses to the front & rear APO outlets. I believe that F39 is the rear, F41 is the front, but cannot confirm without pulling the fuse.

Good call on the F23, not sure I ever would have located it from the Upfitter Manual, but looking at it now, it does seem to confirm that it is the fuse.

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, it took longer to remove and re-intall the floor mat then to change the fuse position...

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, in that fuse slot there are 3 prongs, fuse is on the bottom 2, move it up one so it will be on the top 2. easy peasy

50amp fuse lower left corner of panel sandwhiched between 2 15 amp fuses, it is pretty tight, but keep pulling

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yep

·
Registered
47 Posts
One behind the center console (like the ones the folks in the back seat would use) on my 2018 ZR2 seems to be hot no matter what. I'm interested in getting a power reading out of it though because anecdotally it seems to power things slower than others. If I get some readings I'll follow up. Thx for the tip on the fuse move though!!

·
Registered
11,476 Posts
One behind the center console (like the ones the folks in the back seat would use) on my 2018 ZR2 seems to be hot no matter what. I'm interested in getting a power reading out of it though because anecdotally it seems to power things slower than others. If I get some readings I'll follow up. Thx for the tip on the fuse move though!!
Note what we are talking about here:

The Fuse swap applies to the APO, or traditional cigarette lighter outlets.

The USB ports are powered from the Entertainment Center I believe. Several people have taken some measurements for power output, it always seemed to me that they were getting wildly varying data for power output. I do think the consensus was if you really needed power, better to plug an adapter into the APO rather than the USB outlet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Note what we are talking about here:

The Fuse swap applies to the APO, or traditional cigarette lighter outlets.

The USB ports are powered from the Entertainment Center I believe. Several people have taken some measurements for power output, it always seemed to me that they were getting wildly varying data for power output. I do think the consensus was if you really needed power, better to plug an adapter into the APO rather than the USB outlet.
Ah. Yeah... somehow read "auxillary power" and thought "usb power". My mistake! Good data either way. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am going to use a
GEREE Waterproof DC Converter 8-22V To 5V 3A/15W Dual Power Adapter DC To DC Buck Converter Step Down Power Supply Module Car Power Converter Double USB Cable Connector Car Charger 12V To 5V
Can you tell me more how this setup worked?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am going to use a

Can you tell me more how this setup worked?
It's just a step down transformer. Takes 12v from whatever you feed it and brings it down to 5v for USB charging capabilities.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.