Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I owned a 2004 GMC Canyon and I just traded in now for a 2007 GMC Canyon. But my GM dealer forgot to mention me that the stupid automatic door locking system has been modified!!! Yes in 2004 the automatic door locking system menu located in the owner's guide looked like this.

Automatic Door Locks

With the vehicles engine off, and the ignition in the Lock position, press and hold the power door lock button for approximately three seconds until the DIC displays the current door lock mode. Then press and hold the reset stem for approximately two seconds to switch modes. The following are the mode choices:

Lock 1 (default)
Lock all doors when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK(P) with an automatic transmission, or when the vehicle speed is greater than 15 MPH (24 hm/h) with a manual transmission. Doors will unlock when the vehicle is shifted into PARK(P) with an automatic transmission, or when the ignition key is removed on a manual transmission.

Lock 2
Turns off the automatic door locks

Lock 3
Lock all doors when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK(P) with an automatic transmission, or when the speed is greater than 15 MPH(24km/hr) with a manual transmission. Drivers door will unlock when the vehicle is shifted into PARK(P) with an automatic transmission, or when the ignition key is removed on a manual transmision.

Lock 4
Lock all doors when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK(P) with an automatic transmission, or when the vehicle speed is greater than 15 MPH (24 km/hr) with a manual transmission. No doors will unlock

Now since the 2005 model till today, the menu has changed...

Automatic Door Locks
This feature allows you to program your door locks to a
preferred setting.
To set your choice for this feature, perform the
following steps:
1. With the engine off, turn the key to LOCK.
2. Press and hold the power door lock button for approximately three seconds until the DIC display shows the current door lock mode.
3. To view the next available mode, press and hold the reset stem for approximately two seconds. Release the reset stem and press and hold again to view each mode.
4. Once the desired mode is shown on the DIC display, briefly press the reset stem to set your choice. The DIC display will then clear.

The following are the available modes:

Lock 1 (default): On vehicles with an automatic transmission, this mode locks all of the doors when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK (P) and unlocks all of the doors when the vehicle is shifted into PARK (P).
On vehicles with a manual transmission, this mode locks all of the doors when the vehicle speed is greater than 15 mph (24 km/h) and unlocks all of the doors when the key is removed from the ignition.

Lock 2: On vehicles with an automatic transmission, this mode locks all of the doors when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK (P) and unlocks the driver’s door when the vehicle is shifted into PARK (P).
On vehicles with a manual transmission, this mode locks all of the doors when the vehicle speed is greater than 15 mph (24 km/h) and unlocks the driver’s door when the key is removed from the ignition.

Lock 3: On vehicles with an automatic transmission, this mode locks all of the doors when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK (P). The doors will not automatically unlock.
On vehicles with a manual transmission, this mode locks all of the doors when the vehicle speed is greater than 15 mph (24 km/h). The doors will not automatically unlock.

As you all probably notice one mode has been removed from the menu which is the "Turns off the automatic door locks" feature. This means that you don't have the choice any more. THE DOORS MUST LOCK WHEN THE VEHICLE IS SHIFTED OUT OF PARK (P). This is very anoying!!!!

I called GM customer service and the answer they gave me is that there is no way to reprogram the BCM just for me. They must get lots of complaints from the owners to add this feature back into the BCM.

In the mean time I did not wait for GM to find a solution for me, I did a quick and easy modification to get around this issue. Following is the schematic on how to modify ONE wire in the vehicle. On this schematic there is two solutions. Schematic #1 and Schematic #2. If you make the connection as per Schematic #1, both power doorlock switch will be working when the truck is running. If you make the connection as per Schematic #2, only the power doorlock switch from the driver door will still be working when the truck is running. In both schematics, when the truck is not running, everything will be working as normal (power doorlock switches and keyless remote). I even enclosed in both schematic a way to still lock the doors if you have a remote starter installed if you want to lock your doors when the vehicle is running. This modification will not cause any harm to the vehicle. It is completely safe. To do one of the two schematics, you will need some wiring and a typical Bosch type relay (12 volts 30/40A) that you can find at any Canadian tire or any electronic part supplier. Note: The BCM (Body Control Module) is located in the passenger kick panel, you must remove the plastic kick panel on the passenger side to access the BCM. On the BCM there is two connector. Connector C1 is Black (that's where you find your wires) and Connector C2 which is Gray.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Great write-up! I just bought an '07 z71 4x4 regular cab. I was disappointed that I couldn't override the auto door locks per the 2004 method. Now, I have an option. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,

I owned a 2004 GMC Canyon and I just traded in now for a 2007 GMC Canyon. But my GM dealer forgot to mention me that the stupid automatic door locking system has been modified!!! Yes in 2004 the automatic door locking system menu located in the owner's guide looked like this.

Automatic Door Locks

With the vehicles engine off, and the ignition in the Lock position, press and hold the power door lock button for approximately three seconds until the DIC displays the current door lock mode. Then press and hold the reset stem for approximately two seconds to switch modes. The following are the mode choices:

Lock 1 (default)
Lock all doors when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK(P) with an automatic transmission, or when the vehicle speed is greater than 15 MPH (24 hm/h) with a manual transmission. Doors will unlock when the vehicle is shifted into PARK(P) with an automatic transmission, or when the ignition key is removed on a manual transmission.

Lock 2
Turns off the automatic door locks

Lock 3
Lock all doors when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK(P) with an automatic transmission, or when the speed is greater than 15 MPH(24km/hr) with a manual transmission. Drivers door will unlock when the vehicle is shifted into PARK(P) with an automatic transmission, or when the ignition key is removed on a manual transmision.

Lock 4
Lock all doors when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK(P) with an automatic transmission, or when the vehicle speed is greater than 15 MPH (24 km/hr) with a manual transmission. No doors will unlock

Now since the 2005 model till today, the menu has changed...

Automatic Door Locks
This feature allows you to program your door locks to a
preferred setting.
To set your choice for this feature, perform the
following steps:
1. With the engine off, turn the key to LOCK.
2. Press and hold the power door lock button for approximately three seconds until the DIC display shows the current door lock mode.
3. To view the next available mode, press and hold the reset stem for approximately two seconds. Release the reset stem and press and hold again to view each mode.
4. Once the desired mode is shown on the DIC display, briefly press the reset stem to set your choice. The DIC display will then clear.

The following are the available modes:

Lock 1 (default): On vehicles with an automatic transmission, this mode locks all of the doors when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK (P) and unlocks all of the doors when the vehicle is shifted into PARK (P).
On vehicles with a manual transmission, this mode locks all of the doors when the vehicle speed is greater than 15 mph (24 km/h) and unlocks all of the doors when the key is removed from the ignition.

Lock 2: On vehicles with an automatic transmission, this mode locks all of the doors when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK (P) and unlocks the driver’s door when the vehicle is shifted into PARK (P).
On vehicles with a manual transmission, this mode locks all of the doors when the vehicle speed is greater than 15 mph (24 km/h) and unlocks the driver’s door when the key is removed from the ignition.

Lock 3: On vehicles with an automatic transmission, this mode locks all of the doors when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK (P). The doors will not automatically unlock.
On vehicles with a manual transmission, this mode locks all of the doors when the vehicle speed is greater than 15 mph (24 km/h). The doors will not automatically unlock.

As you all probably notice one mode has been removed from the menu which is the "Turns off the automatic door locks" feature. This means that you don't have the choice any more. THE DOORS MUST LOCK WHEN THE VEHICLE IS SHIFTED OUT OF PARK (P). This is very anoying!!!!

I called GM customer service and the answer they gave me is that there is no way to reprogram the BCM just for me. They must get lots of complaints from the owners to add this feature back into the BCM.

In the mean time I did not wait for GM to find a solution for me, I did a quick and easy modification to get around this issue. Following is the schematic on how to modify ONE wire in the vehicle. On this schematic there is two solutions. Schematic #1 and Schematic #2. If you make the connection as per Schematic #1, both power doorlock switch will be working when the truck is running. If you make the connection as per Schematic #2, only the power doorlock switch from the driver door will still be working when the truck is running. In both schematics, when the truck is not running, everything will be working as normal (power doorlock switches and keyless remote). I even enclosed in both schematic a way to still lock the doors if you have a remote starter installed if you want to lock your doors when the vehicle is running. This modification will not cause any harm to the vehicle. It is completely safe. To do one of the two schematics, you will need some wiring and a typical Bosch type relay (12 volts 30/40A) that you can find at any Canadian tire or any electronic part supplier. Note: The BCM (Body Control Module) is located in the passenger kick panel, you must remove the plastic kick panel on the passenger side to access the BCM. On the BCM there is two connector. Connector C1 is Black (that's where you find your wires) and Connector C2 which is Gray.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
(y) :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
OR-

1). Drill 3" hole in door.
2). Snip lock actuator wires.
3) Put color matching duct tape over hole.

BONUS: You won't have to worry about locking the doors either because no one would bother with a crappy looking truck anyway.

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
698 Posts
I cut the wire that sends the signal to lock the doors automatically.

I always hated that “feature”. It’s very annoying because of the way I use my truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts