Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Auto Start/Stop Eliminator for 3rd gens - Need a volunteer in WV.

28K views 114 replies 42 participants last post by  lurchskii 
#1 · (Edited)
I reached out to AutoStop Eliminator about the new 3rd gens and if they had plans to make a splice device to permanently disable the Auto Start/Stop. They sent me an email same day:

"New products depend on the vehicles people bring us.

We could probably work with you to make a device if you want to bring the vehicle to Fairmont, WV for a day. We'd do it for free and pay you $300 for your time because we could then offer the device for sale to others. We don't need to drive your vehicle and you could stay with your vehicle the entire time. It usually takes about 8 hours to put together a prototype and test it. Let me know if you're interested.

Or, some vehicles have come to us because someone posted on forums/Facebook/social media and found someone with the same vehicle closer to us and they brought the vehicle to us. Just throwing that out in case you participate in the forums and can help us and help yourself get the device sooner by getting someone to bring us a vehicle. Otherwise, I'll let you know if/when a device is made available.

Jessica Lambert
TRL Automotive"

So, anyone in Fairmont, WV want to make $300 for a days time of simply dropping your new 3rd gen off?

See less See more
#4 ·
It's usually just a plug and play splice device, so really all they are doing is testing wires and the device remains in whatever constant state that is needed to keep the auto start stop in the same setting you chose, rather than resetting it every time you turn off the truck. For them it's probably as simple as taking something they already have made and finding the correct wires, then designing it to be plug and play. Most of them plug under the seat or near the pedals.

#22 ·
More electronics, more chances of things to go wrong. Plus, you cannot tell me that that is not hard on the starter.

#24 ·
I agree with part of it. I have only replaced 1 starter in 55 years, but the cars were not shutting the engine off at every traffic light.

#25 ·
You also need to consider that with this technology the starter barely turns the engine to restart it (probably less than a couple revolutions), so there is no "cranking", and there certainly isn't a meathead on the end of a key, so starter wear would be negligeable.

#26 ·
Oh, ok!

#35 ·
If your truck is coming up or down to temp, ASS will not interfere. On my 21 Ranger, I disabled it via Forscan but honestly, that was overkill. When you shift into drive, your thumb is just an inch or two away from the ASS switch, I’m already trained to tap it. Any add on is neat but not worth the price.

#36 ·
I wish this was available. But also for $100 idk…
Maybe I’ll just use the auto stop feature and stop caring. Seems like it shouldn’t be that bad for the engine / starter.
Interesting to think if you just plug a night light into the 120V it could make it stop. Maybe if the voltage converter is working, it tells the computer not to shut the engine off. Might have to test this.

#38 ·
That's great and all but I'd rather not have it being picky on when/if it's going to shut off. I'd rather have full control.

It just doesn't make sense why vehicles with A.S.S. don't provide the operator with the ability to disable it entirely. They provide the option to disable it, but after every start-up? Makes no sense. It could be as simple as holding the button down for 5 seconds to disable it entirely but they just refuse to apply it. I can't help but wonder why. There has never been an answer.

I have to disagree. I consider this an essential add on and it's one of the first I have bought multiple times, right along with that tray for the center console :ROFLMAO:

I guess you could just remove the relay if that's the only thing it's for, but the likelihood of this seems slim. Anyone care to look and test? Someone tried it on the Crosstrek forums and the CEL came on so they plugged it back in lol. I don't think I'd remove it without knowing everything else that uses that relay - if anything. But also wouldn't surprise me if it's a "feature" to have it as a necessary program where nothing but an eliminator will stop the CEL from coming on.

#42 ·
I suspect the disable button has to be hit each time you start the vehicle is EPA required. So much of the engine management these days is to meet stringent fuel mileage and emmisions regulations.

I agree each time ASS engages the fuel savings is miniscule. Likewise, emissions reduction. But, take that times millions of vehicles sitting in drive-thru banks and restaurants, and at stop lights or in rush hour stop & go, that miniscule amount will add up fast. And in time, it will probably save an owner a tank or two in gas.

Reactions: _Montana_
#43 ·
While I wait for a truck my mind keeps going. Could someone hold the auto stop/start button down while you start up your truck? I want to know if this works to turn off auto stop and if it gives a warning if you keep it held too long. I believe I have found the trigger wire on the schematics going into the bcm and this might be an easier way to eliminate rather than tearing apart dash. I think the bcm is drivers side.