Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
It's kind of like the light in the refrigerator, its hard to prove or know that it goes out when you close the door, but you gotta have faith that it does! lol

I assume mine work as designed, but I honestly haven't seen or heard them move. I do recall some talk last winter where someone had problems with them freezing up while driving in some heavy wet snow. But for the most part there has not been much discussion about them.
I guess you could jam a hot dog in there, drive around on a cold day. If it gets cut in two you know the shutters are working.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The lower opening in the front grill is blocked by a plastic piece in my diesel. Strange the radiator is big enough to still be behind the area but no air goes in thru that area. Gives me piece of mind that I won't affect the cooling by installing a light bar there. There is some kind of sensor just behind the grill, need to figure out what it is for. Hoping is just outside temperature.

·
Registered
11,820 Posts
The lower opening in the front grill is blocked by a plastic piece in my diesel. Strange the radiator is big enough to still be behind the area but no air goes in thru that area. Gives me piece of mind that I won't affect the cooling by installing a light bar there. There is some kind of sensor just behind the grill, need to figure out what it is for. Hoping is just outside temperature.
Take a look at this thread - may help.

http://coloradofans.com/forums/114-...m/269402-temperature-sesnor-behind-grill.html

·
Registered
440 Posts
long as if and when they fail they fail in the open position i could care less about them

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Duh! Merely pointing out what the parts listing shows. And parts manuals never have typos. :wink2:
I can definitely say you never want to reduce airflow through the intercooler. The radiator in very cold weather, yes, but not the intercooler. Ever pay much attention to the trucks on the highway in winter? Many have exterior covers for the radiator with partial openings for the intercooler.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I can definitely say you never want to reduce airflow through the intercooler. The radiator in very cold weather, yes, but not the intercooler. Ever pay much attention to the trucks on the highway in winter? Many have exterior covers for the radiator with partial openings for the intercooler.
I agree with you, but playing devils advocate for a bit.

• Computer commands the boost level, via turbo variable vanes
  • Boost level is measured by the computer
  • Intake Air Temperature is measured by the computer
  • Computer knows ambient air temp
  • Computer controls the grill shutters

At speed on the highway you'll notice you command much less boost, which generates less intake heat.
It wouldn't take a great deal of magic to allow activation of the vanes at low boost levels with low IAT's. If IAT's raise too quickly, even out of boost, open the shutters. Once the driver hits the throttle, and you command boost, open up the shutters at the same time.

All of this adds complexity and cost. If the diesel is already 'efficient enough' I can understand why GM would forgo all the additional R&D to save time/money.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
The winter covers used on OTR diesel trucks, buses, diesel pickups, etc do reduce airflow to the radiator also have an effect on airflow to the intercooler. Even with the flaps open, the volume of air reaching the cooler is less.
But in sub-freezing temps, the reduced airflow doesn't have a negative effect on heat transfer from the intercooler

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's kind of like the light in the refrigerator, its hard to prove or know that it goes out when you close the door, but you gotta have faith that it does! lol

I assume mine work as designed, but I honestly haven't seen or heard them move. I do recall some talk last winter where someone had problems with them freezing up while driving in some heavy wet snow. But for the most part there has not been much discussion about them.
I have the shutters on my Focus ST. I took them off when I installed a 5.5 inch thick intercooler. If they are plastic and crappy like the one ford installed on these cars, they will most likely end up stuck closed. We have had a lot of problems with this. They do work but because they are made out of plastic, tend to fail.

You will never know if they are working unless you see them with your own eyes. I dont personally care about getting the tiny more fuel economy that they would create. I rather have airflow to keep things cool over fuel economy any day.
When it comes to the shutters on my ford, they close at highway speeds and not accelerating. They open when you give it substantial throttle or at low speeds.

·
Registered
239 Posts
n56bulldawgs, did you remove the entire assembly, or just remove the blades? I seem to recall someone on FocusST.org tried unplugging them in the open position and got an immediate CEL. I'd like to disable mine....don't think they're necessary in Texas and couldn't care less about that .02 mpg.

·
Registered
40 Posts
n56bulldawgs, did you remove the entire assembly, or just remove the blades? I seem to recall someone on FocusST.org tried unplugging them in the open position and got an immediate CEL. I'd like to disable mine....don't think they're necessary in Texas and couldn't care less about that .02 mpg.
I removed the entire device ( you have to when installing bigger intercooler on that car) and never received any code. The empty sensor is just tie wrapped to the crash bar.

Some people stated they just removed the fuse but I just unplugged it and trashed the device and didn't receive any codes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
No grill active grill shutters on the diesel.

I've hade my diesel Colorado for a couple of weeks now. On thing that peeked my curiosity was the active grill shutters to improve aerodynamics at speed. I peek behind the grill on my truck to have a look around. I see holes where the shutters mount, but no shutters.

I find it next to impossible they were forgotten. My best guess is the turbo requires more cooling due to the intercooler. The amount of boost and airflow needed to remove heat from the intercooler likely makes closing the shutters at speed not a viable option.

Just my best guess as to why the shutters aren't on the turbo diesel.

·
Premium Member
10,751 Posts
I've hade my diesel Colorado for a couple of weeks now. On thing that peeked my curiosity was the active grill shutters to improve aerodynamics at speed. I peek behind the grill on my truck to have a look around. I see holes where the shutters mount, but no shutters.

I find it next to impossible they were forgotten. My best guess is the turbo requires more cooling due to the intercooler. The amount of boost and airflow needed to remove heat from the intercooler likely makes closing the shutters at speed not a viable option.

Just my best guess as to why the shutters aren't on the turbo diesel.
Somebody noticed this not too long ago.
Merged you into the previous conversation.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The winter covers used on OTR diesel trucks, buses, diesel pickups, etc do reduce airflow to the radiator also have an effect on airflow to the intercooler. Even with the flaps open, the volume of air reaching the cooler is less.
But in sub-freezing temps, the reduced airflow doesn't have a negative effect on heat transfer from the intercooler
I always assumed that those grill blankets were to keep the small bits of plastic and lithium battery out of the grill when you run over a Prius... who knew.
back to the O.P. when I installed my Zombie light I pried around the blocked area where the shutters should be and figured it was blocked off and no shutter.

HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I always assumed that those grill blankets were to keep the small bits of plastic and lithium battery out of the grill when you run over a Prius... who knew.
back to the O.P. when I installed my Zombie light I pried around the blocked area where the shutters should be and figured it was blocked off and no shutter.

HOLLYWOOD
Is this the diesel or gas motor? Also is it the 3.6l or the smaller 4 cycl?

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
My buddys '18 ZR2 3.6 doesn't have the louvers.

·
Registered
485 Posts
21 - 40 of 42 Posts