Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Interesting article but 'Earth-Shattering'? Really? I don't think so...

Don't get me wrong, I love the new ZR2 I just think that is a tremendous claim by the author.
Agreed and A little one sided.
They did have the market pretty much too themselves. The Colorado's sells well here around Milwaukee it seems.
I expect the Ranger to do really well too especially because it seems to have a large after market parts already. well if Ford can actually bring it out in the U.S.
Not sure a Jeep will.

But the Colorado ZH2 is revolutionary and is run on hydrogen.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
The GM models will continue to grow and will see an update as early as next year with new editions. They will continue to grow in volume.

The Ranger is coming and will offer a standard and performance model but only in a CCSB only. Not much of an aftermarket here for this truck as it is all new here and odds are will not a total match to the other market versions. They will carry a loyal following.

The Jeep. That is a hard call as in the past Jeep trucks like the Scrambler just never did well. They have their fans but often the sales get taken away by the Jeep or in this case the Wrangler 4 door. The trucks lose no sales to a mid size suv in this case.

Toyota is going to have to step up and invest in their truck. They have for decades done the slow evolution of the model due to such little investment by the others then most dropped out of the segment. Toyota is able but the question is are they willing to invest.

The odd ball is the Honda. It is not really a truck and it is not really a SUV. It really is a new segment of one. I expect the others to be looking at this carefully as with all the CUV models they have it would be an easy fix for them to fill.

As one publication said the Ridgeline is a truck for people who don't like trucks. I feel GM should really look at this and do something similar to go along with the twins. The twins are great for people who like trucks but in todays CUV rich segment I believe there is room for the smaller truck to. Keep it simple with a CCSB only and keep it lower like the Honda with a efficient engine and diesel.

The one reality here is the pie is only so big and how much slice you get depends on what you have to offer. Nissan is coming with a new evolved truck and so is Hyundai with a Ridgeline like truck that is more revolutionary.

It will be a real dog fight for all of them. At this point Toyota since they were the segment is going to lose as they had the most to lose while the others had nothing to lose and all to gain.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as the Ranger goes it is pretty much speculation. Ford has released almost nothing other than really a model year which may turn out false too.
The Ranger has been spotted in the U.S. so something is known.

Agree the Honda does not even fall in this group. To me it is a car with w bed.

What is funny is not much are talking about Nissan. They are supposedly working on a new model. To me they are a decent truck already they are just old and desperately need a modern update.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Very one sided. The author clearly was not a fan of Toyotas, but without much reason besides keeping their technology the same and a "V6 with no torque curve and sluggish transmission" I thought the Toyota market has done decent. And they are all over the place. I was a Toyo owner for quite some time and had no complaints. I don't think they should be too worried. Everyone wants the next best thing, which right now are aftermarket based factory built machines like the ZR2 or maybe this new ranger, but trends fade with the wind. I cant say much I bought a ZR2, but I'm also not one to switch vehicles until I need to. As for the ZH2, yeah its a cool concept, but that's all it is right now and for the foreseeable future

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honestly I think the market is going to grow for the mid-sized market and actually there maybe a market for small pick-up again.

Even with the Colorado entering the market The Tacoma sales grew.

People are looking for a smaller Truck. They want a truck that fits in the Garage or even the driveway. Something more fun to drive and gets better gas mileage. Something hat is better off road.

Look at the explosion in the subcompact SUV market the last few years.

·
Registered
11,476 Posts
Honestly I think the market is going to grow for the mid-sized market and actually there maybe a market for small pick-up again.

People are looking for a smaller Truck. They want a truck that fits in the Garage or even the driveway. Something more fun to drive and gets better gas mileage. Something hat is better off road.

The Twins helped fuel the increase in Taco sales: People discovered there was an alternative to the monster truck in the driveway, and GM was unable to produce enough to meet demand initially.

Reactions: RatRacer

·
Registered
850 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Frontier Pro-4X owner here and I was waiting for the new Frontier to arrive but that hasn't happened. I test drove the Taco TRD Pro and was not impressed. The new Colorados came out and I drove them and even looked at the ZR2 when it arrived.
Toyota does need to up their game and Ford Ranger is still years away.
Dodge/Ram isn't even in the picture so I have a 2018 Z-71 gasser in transit and should be here soon.
I put my money on the best mid-size out there and soon I'll be the proud owner.
Honda Ridgeline? cool idea but not for me.
To all the other manufacturers out there...you lost a sale from me.

·
Registered
44 Posts

This is absolutely true. Today's full size trucks are so much bigger than 20 years ago. I just don't want or need a truck that large and it doesn't fit in my garage. I welcome mid size competition - it can only force manufacturers to make better trucks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
One sided article for sure......with some truth. I've been on the Toyota side of the fence and now on the Canyon side.

Because the tacoma has dominated the midsize market for so many years - Toyota really didn't need to do anything. They didn't need to move forward with innovation & growth. Their reliability & resale has always been top notch. Right now? They still have the 'edge' in reliability & resale. Nobody knows how these Colorados or Canyons will play out in 10 years - that remains to be seen. They're too new.....

Toyota has 'slipped' in its offerings/options. So - already, the Colorado & Canyons have sooooooo much more options & truck stuff to pick from (Diesel & ZR2). The ZR2 obviously surpasses the Tacoma TRD Offroad by far. However - The Tacoma has a very L O N G history of offroad experience & aftermarket offroad support. The tacoma hasn't changed much over the years - and why the aftermarket support is sooooo good. On the other hand - it's the same truck.

GM has done what they needed to do to surpass the Tacoma in every aspect. A little too late...... They just don't have the 'history' behind them. They're starting from scratch (reliability, reputation, resale value, aftermarket support, etc) and they're competing with the Tacoma's 20+ years of history.

I don't think Toyota will spend much time trying to 'compete' with GM - as I think they're too far behind already. I think Toyota will spend more of its time developing something that nobody else has done yet.....Hybrid trucks.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Agreed and A little one sided.
They did have the market pretty much too themselves. The Colorado's sells well here around Milwaukee it seems.
I expect the Ranger to do really well too especially because it seems to have a large after market parts already. well if Ford can actually bring it out in the U.S.
Not sure a Jeep will.

But the Colorado ZH2 is revolutionary and is run on hydrogen.

Mmmmm.... that looks like rendering to me.

As far Hydrogen. I say good luck with that. Where the Hydrogen comes from, or let us say... how is separated? That can run on Hydrogen, sure, why not, but is an expensive tech that perhaps is just as bad or worse than batteries.

Toyota quality is overrated... heck, even Japanese quality is overrated. What about Kobe Steel or should say Kobe "Steal" :wink2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.