Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You should know that some of the goobers that drive by your humble abode are scouting for easy catalytic converters to steal. Its been bad, but now they're bold enuf to cut them on your home turf.

I think the the V6 cats are fairly well protected as they are angled between the manifold (technically not a manifold) and the crossover and space is too limited to get a sawsall or other cordless cutter up in there.

I don't know about the 4 banger...

What say you guys? Are the twins cat burglar targets?

No Chinese restaurant jokes, please. That's insensitive.

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
671 Posts
You should know that some of the goobers that drive by your humble abode are scouting for easy catalytic converters to steal. Its been bad, but now they're bold enuf to cut them on your home turf.

I think the the V6 cats are fairly well protected as they are angled between the manifold (technically not a manifold) and the crossover and space is too limited to get a sawsall or other cordless cutter up in there.

I don't know about the 4 banger...

What say you guys? Are the twins cat burglar targets?

No Chinese restaurant jokes, please. That's insensitive.
Converter theft is big in my neck of the (not) woods. I was already going to add all the AEV skids, but sold them to my wife as being cheaper than having to replace the two cats. It's not total protection, but I do park my truck outside my bedroom window.

·
Registered
2021 Colorado 2.8L Diesel Z71
330 Posts
They usually hit fleets of vehicles here.......like all the vans at the cable company or something. Just going through a neighborhood and hitting personal vehicles is rare, probably because it's hard to be completely silent while cutting out a cat.

The neighborhood trick is to walk around testing for unlocked doors. Turns out a ton of people leave their car doors unlocked, and also leave wallets and such inside the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
You make a good point. I believe the most thefts are from hybrids like the Prius where they also contain Rhodium. We have had several neighborhoods hit hard in Austin. Frustrating thing is some meth addict low life will get like $200 for it and it costs thousands to replace. The converters that are tucked up close to the engine and frame have go to be nearly impossible to saw off.

·
Registered
2016 Laser Blue 4x4 Extended Cab 3.6 LFX V-6 with Flux Capacitor Upgrade
1,369 Posts
I think they more likely would just steal the whole truck.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
You make a good point. I believe the most thefts are from hybrids like the Prius where they also contain Rhodium. We have had several neighborhoods hit hard in Austin. Frustrating thing is some meth addict low life will get like $200 for it and it costs thousands to replace. The converters that are tucked up close to the engine and frame have go to be nearly impossible to saw off.

I like the article. Couldn’t have happened to a better guy.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts

I hope they don't check the jack handle for fingerprints, I think I forgot to wear gloves when I hit the release.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Can someone tell me who exactly the meth heads sell these used cats too? It's all over the news and it's never said what they do with them.
It seams if law enforcement gave a crap they could use the buyers to catch them.

·
Registered
2021 ZR2 Extended Cab in Blue
20 Posts
They have been stealing cat converters at the local Safeway. They will cut them out while people are shopping... Pretty ballsy!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Can someone tell me who exactly the meth heads sell these used cats too? It's all over the news and it's never said what they do with them.
It seams if law enforcement gave a crap they could use the buyers to catch them.
Various metal recycling places will buy them. But generally only in bulk. Thus smaller home grage shops will usually buy them. At significant discount of course.

The small Craigslist shop will pay for around $50. Depending on the cat. Prius cats are more expensive.

The recycler will pay about $100 to $150 each. Maybe more with the current demand.

And finally the recycler can expect to get around $500 in metals.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The chain pipe cutters make it much easier for them to do it more quietly.

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
481 Posts
Lol speaking of that. A video went viral in my town of a tweaker stealing a wheel off an f150 to put on his beat ass f150. He had mix match wheels, it was spray painted flat black, and had no bumpers. I just so happen to see his truck the next day on the other side of the city parked on a side street. He had a wheel off and the rear end up on a floor jack. I did my civic duties and dropped his truck on the ground and stole his jack.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
During the winter hear in the St Charles Mo. area peeps from STL were loadinng cars with people and coming over here and cruising the streets looking for cars that were outside running to get warmed up before people went to work or going into the convinence store and leaving thierr vehicle running.Then they would find them later in STL with cats and other stuff removed or people driving them with fake temp tags on them.
The local PD/Sheriff/State Troopers arrested 38 people one morning and after a week of arrest it pretty much stopped over here. Cats still being cut off in used car lots and where fleet vehicles park

Reactions: Firehk

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Lol speaking of that. A video went viral in my town of a tweaker stealing a wheel off an f150 to put on his beat ass f150. He had mix match wheels, it was spray painted flat black, and had no bumpers. I just so happen to see his truck the next day on the other side of the city parked on a side street. He had a wheel off and the rear end up on a floor jack. I did my civic duties and dropped his truck on the ground and stole his jack.
ahahaha! That's awesome!! Street justice, I love it!

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Here in NE Ohio the thefts are high. The vehicles most targeted are company trucks and buses.

The reason these are targeted is often they are a number of them in one spot. Easy to get under and no one around.

Some dealer get hit but most have enough security it is a greater risk.

As for our trucks they are at risk if they are in a unsupervised location and someone wants it.

Most scrap dealers are not buying them but a few will take the risk many are not in the area.

One school has a full aluminum bleacher stole I saw in the news. They were caught when a salvager turned them in trying to scrap it.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
A friend had the cat stolen off his old Honda Element. He owns a metal fab shop and welded up a cage around the new one. A battery powered tool with the right cutoff wheel can make short work of an exhaust pipe, or a heavy steel chain for that matter. His cage is a deterrent, but would not stop a suitably determined thief with the right tool. The hope is they move on to easier pickings.

There is not much one can do except catch them in the act with their legs hanging out from under the vehicle, and stomp their balls with your heel so they can't reproduce more low lifes in the future. Given that scenario it sure would be tempting 😆

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
951 Posts
I heard about the Prius cars being hit- the next day I was eating lunch and a girl started her Prius up and it sounded like a 83 Chevy truck with an exhaust leak.
she had no idea what happened it was quiet as a panther when she parked it. I had to tell her what probably happened. I work in Seattle and am wiring a large 8 story apartment building with retail that they just plopped in the ghetto. So this happened in front of her house on a side street.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts