Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed my cab search down to these two models to go on my 2018 CC Long Bed. From the pictures I've seen online, it looks like the V series slopes up toward the rear while the 100XR stays flat. I have not been able to see a lot of side profile pictures of the 100XR on a Colorado/Canyon. Can anyone confirm that these stay flat along the entire length of the bed?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Maybe these pics will help. Keep in mind its a short bed and parked on a slanted driveway...

Looks to me that the shell stays flat. Maybe the hump in the trucks roof line gives appearance of sloping, or the long bed may exaggerate the look?

I chose the XR due to the door glass and handle is cleaner than the aluminum framed door on the ARE.

Just 2 cents.. Both are very similar in construction and quality

Attachments

Reactions: CCME59

·
Registered
530 Posts
Chose the cap that has the better rear door seal. I have the 100r and there is virtually no seal at the bottom corners of the rear door. I have to stuff rolled up socks to fill the gap.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've narrowed my cab search down to these two models to go on my 2018 CC Long Bed. From the pictures I've seen online, it looks like the V series slopes up toward the rear while the 100XR stays flat. I have not been able to see a lot of side profile pictures of the 100XR on a Colorado/Canyon. Can anyone confirm that these stay flat along the entire length of the bed?
Here is a few pics of my XR on a long bed. The CAB height elevation itself is not flat as it lowers going towards the rear of the vehicle. LEER made the leading edge of the CAP line up with the trailing edge of the CAB. Midway back on the cap, it's elevation is the same elevation as mid-line of the cab itself. Take this for what it's worth, hope it helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a few pics of my XR on a long bed. The CAB height elevation itself is not flat as it lowers going towards the rear of the vehicle. LEER made the leading edge of the CAP line up with the trailing edge of the CAB. Midway back on the cap, it's elevation is the same elevation as mid-line of the cab itself. Take this for what it's worth, hope it helps.

View attachment 394650 View attachment 394651 View attachment 394652 View attachment 394653
Thank you (and the others) for the response! In your last pic, it doesn't seem like the cap slopes up toward the tailgate that drastically compared to the ARE V Series in the pic below. How do you like your 100XR? There is only a $21 difference in price between these two caps after tax.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Thank you (and the others) for the response! In your last pic, it doesn't seem like the cap slopes up toward the tailgate that drastically compared to the ARE V Series in the pic below. How do you like your 100XR? There is only a $21 difference in price between these two caps after tax.

View attachment 394679
Have you considered the ARE Z-series? It doesn't slope up in the rear like the V-series and is available with the sliding side window. I have the pop-out vents with the frameless windows on my Z-series. Keep in mind that it isn't 100% flat either, but it's not as pronounced as the V-series as there's about a 4" difference in height at the door opening with the tailgate down, the Z-series being a few inches lower than the V-series.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I like it, does what I need it to do, I also think because of the rake of the vehicle it looks like it's higher that it actually is.

I also added the removable window on the front side of the cap between the cab and the cap. On my last truck that window got so dirty and is was a royal pain in the butt to clean it. Now just swing it out clean the glass and close it back up. Not that you can really see out of it a whole lot, but when I would look in the rear view mirror on the old truck that multi years of dirt on that window would just bug me. I also added the power lock on the rear door and added a tailgate lock so it all works off the remote, that I really like.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I can confirm your observation re: ARE sloping up toward rear while LEER appears flat. I can add to that by having measured the ARE, and it does exactly what it appears to do. LEER and SnugTop are both much flatter. The real issue is that the trucks' roof slopes down toward the rear, and if that angle were continued all the way back, it would look like a weird kammback experiment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you considered the ARE Z-series? It doesn't slope up in the rear like the V-series and is available with the sliding side window. I have the pop-out vents with the frameless windows on my Z-series. Keep in mind that it isn't 100% flat either, but it's not as pronounced as the V-series as there's about a 4" difference in height at the door opening with the tailgate down, the Z-series being a few inches lower than the V-series.
Yes the Z series was originally on my list but it's over $3,000 installed where the V and the 100XR are about $2,100 installed. Also the ARE dealer suggested the V series and said the Z series is nice but recommended that cap for a high end truck like a Denali.

Funds are limited so that's why I am looking at the V series and 100XR. Just had a kid so I'll need the space for all the stuff that I'll have to cart around.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Yes the Z series was originally on my list but it's over $3,000 installed where the V and the 100XR are about $2,100 installed. Also the ARE dealer suggested the V series and said the Z series is nice but recommended that cap for a high end truck like a Denali.

Funds are limited so that's why I am looking at the V series and 100XR. Just had a kid so I'll need the space for all the stuff that I'll have to cart around.
Might try another dealer. My Z-series was around $2400 installed and that included the folding and sliding front window and Yakima tracks installed. Over $3000 seems nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might try another dealer. My Z-series was around $2400 installed and that included the folding and sliding front window and Yakima tracks installed. Over $3000 seems nuts.

Oh wow! I could swing $2,400 for a Z series. I'll check some other dealers.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Once I figured out what I wanted, I shopped it out at every dealer in the state. The best price and the worst price came from different locations in the same two location franchise. What's more, the guy that gave me the best price advised me to hold off a few weeks for a big trade show where I could take advantage of an additional $200 price reduction while also getting a handful of my options at no cost.

As for ARE, look REAL close at the shells next time you're standing in front of them. Two or three are the same mold save for very slight physical differences lined up with significant cost differences. One mold, IIRC was designed for flush windows, but at some point someone said **** it, and they all just come with the usual framed windows. There's a profile around the window that I guess must look nice to some people or something, but is really just the unused foundation for those frameless windows.

I went into my topper shopping set on an ARE, and was thoroughly disappointed with what I saw in reality. I landed on a SnugTop (actually, a SnugPro). I spent more than it sounds like you're looking to spend, but that owes to the fact that I got a commercial unit. Tool boxes and a 500# roof load capacity. I don't care so much for the aesthetic of their drip edge over the side of the bed, but I understand and appreciate its utility. Their hardware was far and away the best of all the manufacturers (ARE, Leer, and various lesser brands).

Oh. Another thing I noticed, but don't recall how it broke down by manufacturer; the fiberglass itself. Most topper manufacturers seem to be shipping with a carpet headliner. That's fine, I guess, but seems like little more than a place to trap dust (I have severe allergies to pretty much everything under the sun, and probably a few things in neighboring planetary systems). I ordered mine specifically WITHOUT that headliner (no refunds, no returns!). Looking at the actual fiberglass finish, I recall ARE being the roughest to the point where there were glass strands arching up away from the surface. Very very rough. Jason, I believe, was the manufacturer who had the best finish. I know, it hardly matters if it's under a headliner, but the attention paid where you're not looking is indicative of what's really going on where you are. Leer and SnugTop were about the same, and were sort of upper mid-pack.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
That’s all fine and dandy, but if ARE were making crap then they wouldn’t offer a lifetime warranty on the structure and guarantee the paint to age at the same rate as the truck.

I get people like things to look finished if they’re exposed but that really has nothing to do with the quality of the product when that exposed surface is normally covered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is only one ARE dealer in my state, Maine. The next closest dealers are in New Hampshire (Cap World) and Massachusetts all are 100+ miles from me. I'll call up Cap World because they sell both ARE and LEER.

·
Registered
351 Posts
That’s all fine and dandy, but if ARE were making crap then they wouldn’t offer a lifetime warranty on the structure and guarantee the paint to age at the same rate as the truck.

I get people like things to look finished if they’re exposed but that really has nothing to do with the quality of the product when that exposed surface is normally covered.
I didn't say they were crap. I wrote up a report on my findings at the time (I think it was on Expedition Portal, but may be here as well), and I said specifically that they're all good and will get the job done; even the little no-name outfits. It's not a complicated or difficult thing to manufacture. It's easy to find scores of very positive reviews of toppers from every manufacturer. For my money, based on my criteria, my observations, and my preferences SnugTop/Pro stood out, and by a significant margin. Based on prior internet research, ARE began at the head of the pack, but fell to nearly last place upon in person scrutiny. Full disclosure; that failure to meet expectations may have pushed them even further down the list. My hierarchy is SnugPro/SnugTop, Leer, ARE, Jason (very little to choose from locally, so they may be better with more information), lesser known manufacturers.

Character is what you do when no one is looking. It's a meta-detail. Do with it what you will. As a luthier, watchmaker, fine woodworker, software engineer, and mechanic I value that sort of attention to detail. You may not. That's your prerogative. I mentioned it because I noticed it and it made an impression.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I didn't say they were crap. I wrote up a report on my findings at the time (I think it was on Expedition Portal, but may be here as well), and I said specifically that they're all good and will get the job done; even the little no-name outfits. It's not a complicated or difficult thing to manufacture. It's easy to find scores of very positive reviews of toppers from every manufacturer. For my money, based on my criteria, my observations, and my preferences SnugTop/Pro stood out, and by a significant margin. Based on prior internet research, ARE began at the head of the pack, but fell to nearly last place upon in person scrutiny. Full disclosure; that failure to meet expectations may have pushed them even further down the list. My hierarchy is SnugPro/SnugTop, Leer, ARE, Jason (very little to choose from locally, so they may be better with more information), lesser known manufacturers.

Character is what you do when no one is looking. It's a meta-detail. Do with it what you will. As a luthier, watchmaker, fine woodworker, software engineer, and mechanic I value that sort of attention to detail. You may not. That's your prerogative. I mentioned it because I noticed it and it made an impression.
All that to say you based your decision on cosmetics that have nothing to do with the quality of the product. I get what you're saying, but I find that to be nit-picking in the extreme and it was (and still is) your implication that they are making an inferior product in your eyes. Which again is fine, it's your money, but I have to look at things kind of like the courts do. What would a "reasonable" person do or expect? Would it be nice to have the interior fiberglass surface finished? Sure. It should also cost extra. I see it as you asking to have a house built and finished but with no carpet or other flooring surface installed and then complaining because either the plywood hasn't been sanded or the concrete hasn't been epoxied. That's unreasonable to expect when it was never stated that would be the case. And then implying that contractor doesn't do quality work as a result.

There's nothing wrong with having expectations and paying to have those expectations met, it just rubs me the wrong way when quality products (that I've owned as well as other brands including Leer and Snug Top) have negative implications made based on nothing other than cosmetics when the standard headliner isn't installed.

Imagine how you'd feel if you didn't want the headliner installed in your truck. Woo dog, all that unfinished area. Don't even think about crawling under your truck and looking at the unpainted surfaces!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist being a little ridiculous. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, first post. Just picked up a 2020 and had a Leer 100r put on, paint isn't super well matched and Leer is working to fix it. Other than having the inside carpeted, I'd get the same thing again. Getting the ARE to fit the F250 was a nightmare, soured me on the brand even though they are a local company and I try to invest in my community.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Hi all, first post. Just picked up a 2020 and had a Leer 100r put on, paint isn't super well matched and Leer is working to fix it. Other than having the inside carpeted, I'd get the same thing again. Getting the ARE to fit the F250 was a nightmare, soured me on the brand even though they are a local company and I try to invest in my community.

View attachment 394740
If you live in a state that uses salt in the winter, sooner or later you will have trouble with that style of handle lock, even with the rubber covers. Keeping them lubed helps, but when they screw up, they are a PITA. Living in MI (road salt capital of the world) caused me to chose the ARE Z top with the electric lock that locks/unlocks with the doors. Yeah, it's pricey but worth it to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts