Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been digging around on the forums, and my issues don't see rare. I just don't think I'm mechanically inclined enough to know if the solutions I've seen are actually what I need. Are there any permanent DIY, or dealer fixes that can be done for any of these?

1. Steering column rattle - There is a rattle coming from the steering column. If I apply pressure on the steering wheel it stops. Seems to happen 75% of the time.

2. Transmission - I've definitely seen this talked about. I hit the gas, and sometimes there is a delay on it actually getting up and going while already at highway speeds. Is that the "chug and bump" I've seen talked about? Seems like the RPM spike too high before it decides it should go up a gear.

3. Not really an issue, just curious as to what it is. If I am going over 80 I can hear a slight 'wuuuuuh' sound when the gas is engaged. If I let off it goes away.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've been digging around on the forums, and my issues don't see rare. I just don't think I'm mechanically inclined enough to know if the solutions I've seen are actually what I need. Are there any permanent DIY, or dealer fixes that can be done for any of these?

1. Steering column rattle - There is a rattle coming from the steering column. If I apply pressure on the steering wheel it stops. Seems to happen 75% of the time.

2. Transmission - I've definitely seen this talked about. I hit the gas, and sometimes there is a delay on it actually getting up and going while already at highway speeds. Is that the "chug and bump" I've seen talked about? Seems like the RPM spike too high before it decides it should go up a gear.

3. Not really an issue, just curious as to what it is. If I am going over 80 I can hear a slight 'wuuuuuh' sound when the gas is engaged. If I let off it goes away.
#2 I have found that, when accelerating, it works better to depress the pedal 1/2 to 3/4, instead of all the way to the floor.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If it's a 2015/2016 gas, then #2 is normal (but annoying). Having them flash the ECM/TCM seems to help a bit, but nothing resolves it completely.

#1, especially if it's a 2015, is due to a design flaw in the steering wheel. They have a redesigned center part that gets rid of the rattle (mine sounded like a tuna can sliding around). Once they fixed it, never heard it again.

#3, if it's not too loud is probably normal. If it's loud enough that it drowns out the radio/conversations, you may want to have the rear end looked at. Some of the 2015 (not sure about 2016) rear ends had "lashing" problems with the gears and made noise as they were chewing themselves up. Mine made it about 10K before it was noisy enough to bother me, and when they tore it apart there was quite a bit of metal in the lube.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
There is a service bulletin for the rattle in the steering wheel. Takes care of the noise.
On mine they tried the grease at first, didn't work so replaced the whole wheel. No more noise.

There are plenty of threads on here about the transmission, the steering wheel noise too really, try the search function and you'll find all your answers

·
Registered
97 Posts

In regard to the steering column rattle-There's a TSB for the airbag spring, dealer should be able to find it. Basically just involves greasing the crap outta it with some expensive DuPont grease. On the transmission, if it's the 6-speed, it's known and well documented as "typical" per GM. Best advice, get a Trifecta or similar tune, that'll help that but unfortunately these trucks seem to "learn" and you'll have to pull the programming off and reprogram it every once in a while.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too noticed a rattle. I narrowed it down to the top of the steering wheel column vibrating against the airbag\horn cover. If I pressed down just behind the cover, it stopped. Not sure if same rattle but that stopped the noise mine is making. I plan on adding some type of mod to stop it, e.g. foam insert, rubber tubing, something to keep that column from vibrating.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If it's still under warranty, just have them fix it rather than "modding" it. It's really not worth the trouble and the fix was permanent for me.

Reactions: MV10 and Janster

·
Registered
458 Posts
If it's a 2015/2016 gas, then #2 is normal (but annoying). Having them flash the ECM/TCM seems to help a bit, but nothing resolves it completely.

#1, especially if it's a 2015, is due to a design flaw in the steering wheel. They have a redesigned center part that gets rid of the rattle (mine sounded like a tuna can sliding around). Once they fixed it, never heard it again.

#3, if it's not too loud is probably normal. If it's loud enough that it drowns out the radio/conversations, you may want to have the rear end looked at. Some of the 2015 (not sure about 2016) rear ends had "lashing" problems with the gears and made noise as they were chewing themselves up. Mine made it about 10K before it was noisy enough to bother me, and when they tore it apart there was quite a bit of metal in the lube.
Was this on your 17?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
#2 - there’s really two different issues going on with the transmission. But then again, they can be related somewhat.

When you’re on the highway and stomp on the gas to pass someone - you get a delay in throttle. IMO That’s always been perceived as ‘Throttle by wire’ delay. A lot of vehicles have this.....and I would personally call it ‘normal’.

The other issue is, the truck upshifts too soon and doesn’t know how to downshift. Say for instance, you’re going 40 or 45mph - . The truck shifts into higher gear already. When you let off the gas and are coasting....down to (say for instance) 35 or 30 mph and get on the gas again (lightly) the truck hasn’t downshifted and chuggle and stutters in higher gear. You have to hit the gas harder to force it to downshift.

Lots of information on this forum about all that. A lot of people have this chuggle stutter, while others don’t. There are soooo many variables that play a part in whether or not you have this phenomenon. It’s been brought up to the dealers many times by many people. Programming updates don’t seem to work. So everyone has to come up with their own remedies to make it ‘disappear’ or at least make it less noticable (chuggle stutter).

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it's still under warranty, just have them fix it rather than "modding" it. It's really not worth the trouble and the fix was permanent for me.
Yeah, I hear ya. Since mine seemed so minor, didn't want to mess with the dealer. I put a small piece of rubber tubing I had between the cover and the top piece that was vibrating. Can't tell its there, issue solved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
#2 Pedal Commander cured my shifting issues. I think the main problem is more to do with the electronic throttle control rather than the transmission itself. Pedal Commander makes your gas pedal more responsive and allows for more precise throttle input, which in turn helps the transmission realize it needs to downshift much sooner. And it's adjustable on the fly. Best $300 I ever spent. I live in a very hilly area and I couldn't stand the transmission's constant indecisiveness up and down the hills but with the Pedal Commander installed it really does drive like a whole different vehicle. I think there is more than one thread on here dedicated to it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya. Since mine seemed so minor, didn't want to mess with the dealer. I put a small piece of rubber tubing I had between the cover and the top piece that was vibrating. Can't tell its there, issue solved.
I was about to do similar on mine. If you lifted up where the cover met the plastic it'd take care of it both on my 2016, the 2017 loaner and now my 2018. Dealer does have the TSB and at the cost of like $70/tube you'd think they'd want to go with the $0.25 option of some surgical tubing or foam rubber weatherstripping, lol! I had to have it done twice on the 2016 because the first dealer used a Q-tip amount instead of the whole tube and that was after they had to order it off amazon because GM was back-ordered themselves! (Only way I knew how much it was!)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
#2 Pedal Commander cured my shifting issues. I think the main problem is more to do with the electronic throttle control rather than the transmission itself. Pedal Commander makes your gas pedal more responsive and allows for more precise throttle input, which in turn helps the transmission realize it needs to downshift much sooner. And it's adjustable on the fly. Best $300 I ever spent. I live in a very hilly area and I couldn't stand the transmission's constant indecisiveness up and down the hills but with the Pedal Commander installed it really does drive like a whole different vehicle. I think there is more than one thread on here dedicated to it.
I have a Pedal Commander also and use 89 octane gas. For the most part, it’s greatly reduced the stutter chuggle. I do love it and wouldn’t go without it.

Since we bought a boat back in July - we’ve been towing every weekend and usually 75-150 miles round trip each time. There’s a distinct difference in how it shifts on Monday - not the same as it does on Friday. Haven’t narrowed it down to anything.....but its obvious, the towing puts a curve in the shifting pattern at least temporarily. Which, tells me...it’s all about the transmission programming and the ‘learning’ that it does.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Would you mind taking a picture of where you put your rubber? You wouldn't believe how often and in how many places a drive around pushing on places around my steering column and dash trying to figure out where my rattle come from. It's certainly steering wheel related, though. Can't decide if it's worth a trip to dealership.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Would you mind taking a picture of where you put your rubber? You wouldn't believe how often and in how many places a drive around pushing on places around my steering column and dash trying to figure out where my rattle come from. It's certainly steering wheel related, though. Can't decide if it's worth a trip to dealership.
Follow the top of the steering wheel cover toward the front of the truck to where is meets the plastic. Wedge it between the cover and the plastic (working blind if you are sitting in the driver seat and this is for a Canyon, not sure if they Colorado's have the same).

Easy test is to wedge your fingers between the cover and plastic transition and see if that'll shut it up!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is a service bulletin for the rattle in the steering wheel. Takes care of the noise.
On mine they tried the grease at first, didn't work so replaced the whole wheel. No more noise.

There are plenty of threads on here about the transmission, the steering wheel noise too really, try the search function and you'll find all your answers
Thanks! I'll be sure to mention that there is a service bulletin out there for it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.