Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious......I've only known one guy to actually have a true failure, but it got me thinking on how safe are these things, like the eibach and billstein setup(not knocking the brands, as much just asking about the set up). That small groove on the shock doesnt seem like its really capable of holding the coil and all that pressure in. The fox, king, icon, etc. that are screwed on seems like they have a less likelyhood of failing, but I cant imagine that under all the different stresses and loads it wouldnt loosen up over time. I could be wrong, but I have personally seen one of these fail and guess that makes me a bit paranoid. Sadly no company makes a true NON RHA coilover, so Im limited to these options. Is this common, can someone educate my why theyre supposedly safe.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Im curious......I've only known one guy to actually have a true failure, but it got me thinking on how safe are these things, like the eibach and billstein setup(not knocking the brands, as much just asking about the set up). That small groove on the shock doesnt seem like its really capable of holding the coil and all that pressure in. The fox, king, icon, etc. that are screwed on seems like they have a less likelyhood of failing, but I cant imagine that under all the different stresses and loads it wouldnt loosen up over time. I could be wrong, but I have personally seen one of these fail and guess that makes me a bit paranoid. Sadly no company makes a true NON RHA coilover, so Im limited to these options. Is this common, can someone educate my why theyre supposedly safe.
I'm running the 5100s with no issues.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
RHAs have been around for a while. I can't imagine they would continue to sell them if the concept wasn't proven to perform and be safe for the consumer. I'm sure there were considerations with material choice, snap ring size, etc. when assessing the mechanical loads from the spring. Unless you are running the longer springs on the highest perch setting, I don't think you will likely experience any failures.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
well consider that on the stock shocks the bottom perch is held on by a slight lip, it seems comparable to what the RHA shocks use considering they both use the stock OEM perch that gets removed from the stockers.

Reactions: kaiser67

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I can understand the concern, as those grooves do look quite shallow. However, they do seem to hold up under use. I've only read good things about them.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm with shultzy, if there was a safety or failure issue with the design then it would have come to light long ago as multiple mfgs make them for all different vehicles. With any design or part there is defects and potential failure but like spoon said, the stock design isn't all that much different. It takes a lot of force to shear the ring as it's designed.

Going on a year and ~26k now without issue on Eibachs.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can understand the concern, as those grooves do look quite shallow. However, they do seem to hold up under use. I've only read good things about them.
I know they "should' be good but after personally seeing a failure. Im very hesitant. Im trying to regain my confidence here

·
Banned
280 Posts
I drove 12,000 of horrible roads in the Yukon and AK... carrying 1400 lbs. The Bilsteins 5100 RHA seem all good thereafter.... They get my A-ok

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Well, I've personally seen many tires spontaneously fail, and I've even seen leaf springs snap. Doesn't mean they're not safe. Stuff happens. You just have to look at the numbers. They're fine!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
Like I said, Google search "bilstein 5100 snap ring failure". Plenty of failures.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
A while back I built a Factory Five Racing Roadster, a Cobra replica. I loved that car.

Anyway, FFR went to Bilstein and had them design a set of shocks for their car. Soon after, those shocks started failing - the heads started snapping off. That's a bad thing. FFR did the right thing, and recalled all of the parts, and replaced them at no cost to the customer. Imagine the cost to a small company.

FFR then went to Bilstein and asked them to replace the shocks that failed. Bilstein told them - in short - too bad, so sad. Bilstein refused to warranty the part they designed for Factory Five Racing.

From then on, all Factory Five cars came with Koni shocks. I won't put Bilsteins on any of my vehicles. If the company won't stand behind their product..........

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I have had 3 Bilstein failures out of 6 total installed. They refused to warranty any of them. Two were internal seal leaks and one snapped the shaft in half.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.