Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

ARC 2016 Z71 Diesel Colorado//Stock to Exploration//2019-???--PIC HEAVY

75K views 312 replies 32 participants last post by  ARCowboy 
#1 · (Edited)

See less See more
#119 ·
Last weekend I (mostly) successfully installed OME HD rear leaf springs and 589fab shock skids. Writeup coming soon !

Crankset Automotive tire Vehicle brake Bicycle part Saw

Reactions: Y E T I
#120 ·
Holy ****-snacks, Filthy emailed me to let me know the custom King coilovers I ordered in March had been assigned a FedEx tracking number and should be shipping soon !!!

#121 ·
These... Are massive. Cannot wait to get them in and get her aligned. They also ship in the same fashion as we ship aircraft parts. Sway bar drop blocks were included as well. Nice touch.

Cylinder Gas Electric blue Plastic Paint

Water Automotive tire Azure Liquid Paint

Paint Engineering Circuit component Plastic Electronic component

#122 ·
8hr install. Not bad for 4x shocks and 2x UCAs.

Rear piggyback King 2.5s weigh 5# more each than OEM and are ~1.5" longer.
Blue Material property Wood Electric blue Pipe

Front remote reservoir adjustable King 2.5's with 650# springs weigh 6# each more than OEM.
Light Automotive tire Blue Green Coil spring

Blue Automotive tire Light Product Liquid

SPC UCAs are 5# more each than OEM as well. They feel significantly more solid, as do the coilovers/shocks.
Sports equipment Handwriting Wood Font Auto part

Pliers Hand tool Wood Diagonal pliers Wire stripper

I'm hoping they pair up nicely with OME HD rear leafs. At full droop the ABS & Brake lines are taught, but not tight.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

Before:
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

During
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Bumper

*This build sponsored by PB Blaster (Joking about the sponsorship, but I did use an entire can of it)
After:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

#123 ·
I put some ROKBLOK ZR2 mud flaps on and some DIY shock "boots" today. Planning on putting some torque check/bird poop on the new components after ensuring they are still torqued for easy visual inspection. Particularly the adjustment nut on top of the SPC arms.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Hood Sleeve Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Synthetic rubber

Reactions: 93Duc and Y E T I
#124 ·
After my alignment, I put orange torque-check/bird poop on the suspension components for easy visual verification they have not been knocked out of alignment (wont help for anything bent out of alignment though.)

I hit UCA top bolt, shock mounting bolts, and rear leaf mounting+U bolts. Anywhere I missed ?

Tire Automotive tire Tread Automotive design Motor vehicle

For anyone unfamiliar it's just a goop that hardens in place and noticeably breaks when moved. It can be used for anti tamper as well but mainly is used for visual inspection of torque/movement sensitive components. Ideally you apply it across the threads and nuts but that's not realistically possible for the SPC top nut.

Tire Gas Automotive tire Electric blue Wood

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Wood Gas

Reactions: 93Duc
#127 ·
Following Y E T I, I installed a Colorado/Canyon Powered Accessories Mount (CPAM). Really solid mount. On top of the install I also put in 2x CAT6 cables and 1x RJ11 telephone cable for future GMRS/HAM remote mounting use. Here's the finished product:

Land vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Air gun Vehicle

And here's some pics along the way

I fished them up through some additional holes I drilled:
Hood Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Trunk

Then put snakeskin on them for abrasion resistance and adhesive heatshrink to secure that. The RJ11 cable wouldn't fit any loom I had so I used Tesa adhesive wiring cloth tape. It's widely used, as you can see it all over the bundles in the dash.
Hood Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Cable

All 3 of my additional data cables were bundled together in some larger snakeskin and fished down through the glovebox into the passenger footwell. I need to tuck them into the trim to travel to the backseat, where I plan on mounting the radio bodies.
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

The cables tucked away nicely beneath the USB cover plate for future use
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Grille

Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Finished product. Picture makes it look taller than it does when I'm sitting in the seat. In landscape mode, my phone is equal to the bottom of the windshield (I'm 6'0). In portrait mode it sticks up 1" or so. Not bad at all.
Dog Motor vehicle Steering wheel Automotive lighting Automotive design

#139 ·
Following Y E T I, I installed a Colorado/Canyon Powered Accessories Mount (CPAM). Really solid mount. On top of the install I also put in 2x CAT6 cables and 1x RJ11 telephone cable for future GMRS/HAM remote mounting use.
I really wish somebody made a device that was licences for both ham and GMRS. I understand the Yaesu can be unlocked to transmit GRMS/FRS/CB but I'm not looking to get fined.

#129 ·
@DieselDrax has his mounted up there. Not sure how he cabled it, but you can see of pic of it in this post. It's a clean install and I'm definitely copying off his homework.

#138 ·
Installed a set of Prothane 19419 Front Sway Bar Extended Endlinks. Very straightforward 15min install. I'm also getting really good at removing and replacing the wheels and tires haha. Maybe if my day job doesn't work out I could get a job at Discount Tire...
Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Wood Hand tool Gas Metal Cylinder

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Blue Motor vehicle

Attachments

Reactions: Y E T I and Tom S.
#146 ·
Because the deal was outrageously good, I ordered 5 AEV Salta XR wheels in Onyx from Colorado Canyon Enthusiasts for black friday. Will come out to $230/wheel if the order goes through. I say if because I combined a door stopper deal with a sitewide discount code (neither had any fine print indicating they couldn't be used together). Fingers crossed ! It is now sold out.

They're in 17x8.5x19mm offset, which would give me 8mm more inner clearance and protrude 20mm more on the outside.
Automotive tire Camera accessory Font Rim Locking hubs

#148 ·
Great deal. I got 4 methods on their sale but the % discount only worked for some 16” wheels and the AEV wheels you got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which methods did you get ? Can't wait to see em on your truck

#152 ·
Darn mine still shows as partially delivered. I wonder if they are shipping directly from the manufacturer or if CCE has a warehouse. And I’ll check for that SAE stamp when they come in. Unfortunately my deal only came with a $100 discount but of course I paid less for my wheel set. I was thinking of diode dynamic fogs as mine are some cheapy pod lights at the moment.

#153 ·
Darn mine still shows as partially delivered. I wonder if they are shipping directly from the manufacturer or if CCE has a warehouse. And I’ll check for that SAE stamp when they come in. Unfortunately my deal only came with a $100 discount but of course I paid less for my wheel set. I was thinking of diode dynamic fogs as mine are some cheapy pod lights at the moment.

I imagine CCE drop ships them. That's how my OME HD rear leafs were handled. Though he did send out the smaller items (peak diff drop, bolt kit, and a couple others)

Reactions: Skrongbed
#155 ·
Yes, you are correct. If you're referring to my "gain a lot of offset" I chose my words poorly and was referring to the general word use of separating objects (IE track bar and other internal components) and rubber. Here are some of the stats I collected when forming my plan:

Font Parallel Pattern Number Slope

And a graphic showing that you are correct
Font Parallel Rectangle Brand Auto part

#156 ·
Ah, you know what I was forgetting that the stock back spacing is so high and if you lessen that number you are pushing the will out away from the suspension. Need more coffee. I love those AEV wheels too!

#157 ·
UPS dropped off these beauties today. I didn't realize how color matching they would actually be (the matte blacks were not available for the Black Friday deal). They are gorgeous. Probably be awhile before I get them mounted (plenty of life left in my 265/70R17s) and looking to be regeared before I go to 35s... but I will have one mounted as my spare 265/70R17.

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Tread Hubcap

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Synthetic rubber Grey

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

#160 ·
After 5k miles, the paper filter media looks to have filtered out plenty of bugs and dirt.

Eye Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wood Tints and shades

I put the oiled filter back in (after cleaning and re-oiling) for on road use.

Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive design

#161 ·
I thought about getting an oiled reusable air filter until I saw this…

#162 · (Edited)
I really enjoy Project Farms videos and am a subscriber, but he has a few (this one included) that I'm not sure about. This one in particular I just watched and have some issues with:

1. I don't believe his testing apparatus appropriately minimized variables (E.G. leafblower time on, temperature, humidity, dispersion of particulate via hand sifting)
  2. I don't believe he controlled test parameters appropriately (flour has a very diverse particulate size ranging from 50-500microns, 0-60 time via GPS/OBDII, foot pedal pressure on 0-60 runs, etc...)

I'm more inclined to look at SAE or ISO tests.

I do think K&N filters are inferior to the stock filters:

I think S&B oiled filter media is superior to K&N and similar efficiency to stock filters:

But I am not sure. Running the oiled filter for 5,000mi yielded 8ppm of Silicon (perfectly universal average), that's the second highest reading (11ppm from the first ever) for me. I swapped in the paper media for the last 5,000mi to see if that makes a difference. Unfortunately there are other sources of silicon than abrasive dirt (coolant, oil anti-foam, etc...) so using that as my test metric may not be fruitful. I'm not worried about 8ppm; if it had doubled I would consider swapping back to stock, but still happy with my S&B.

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

#163 ·
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I guess I should expect that from you!

#164 ·
haha I do try and be thorough and cite sources. One other thing I forgot to mention was that I also put a snorkel on my truck at the same time as putting the S&B intake on, so the ppm count potentially could have been higher if I weren't drawing air from higher up.

#165 ·
Ya the higher the air intake the less likely that you would have sand and dust in your air intake just due to gravity keeping the heavier particles
lower so the silicon levels in the oil analysis would decrease. I may get a snorkel myself someday…

#166 ·
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

I've had my truck for 5 years as of today !

And I had discount mount one of my new AEV Salta wheels with my spare tire (same 265/70s as the rest of the truck). They. Look. Sick.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

#167 · (Edited)
Over the past couple weekends I've been able to make some serious progress on RF cabling my truck for CB/GMRS/HAM. Definitely excessive, I just wanted to have options and the amount of effort to run 2+ cables vs 1 is minimal.

For the rear I drilled out 4x SMA bulkheads where the [now useless] jack sat. I used black RTV to provide a better seal on the outside, but it was pretty snug and watertight without it.

Writing implement Office supplies Pen Automotive tire Gas

Automotive tire Asphalt Bumper Rectangle Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

From the outside.

I made and swept some custom length cables, running them to Rago fab tailgate gap mounts which I drilled out to accept an NMO -> N Type:
Hand tool Tool Pliers Metalworking hand tool Wood

Helmet Cap Automotive lighting Military camouflage Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Engineering Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Gear shift

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

All running to an RFD in an aluminum enclosure under the rear seat.
Automotive lighting Asphalt Tool Bottle cap Audio equipment

Automotive lighting Cosmetics Bumper Gas Audio equipment

#169 ·
No sir, haven't had tires mounted yet which is killing me. I might see if I can have my current tires remounted on the new wheels... I don't want to throw away my current tires with 50% of their tread left.

#173 ·
I ended up with the 'rona so haven't inquired about this yet. Currently 95% recovered and quarantine will be up in a few days so I'll see then. Mixed feelings since I want to see the new wheels on, but I seem to rub my wheels every time I'm exploring haha.
Water Plant Water resources Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Car

Definitely rubbing my wheels on the clay here

Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle Plant

Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle Plant

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Water

Found a very remote lake through a clearcut field of boggy rotting mud that required 4LO and traction boards to get to:
Water Sky Cloud Liquid Natural landscape

Reactions: Y E T I and 93Duc
#174 ·
#175 ·
Glad you made it through and on your way to full recovery! I'm going to get the PCR test in about 2 hours (it's a 3-4 hr wait just to get tested, so I came home and they're going to call).

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

#176 ·
Thanks ! Good luck. Feeling any symptoms ? If you haven't had one before, it's one of the strangest feelings when they put the swab up your nose.