Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
41 - 60 of 313 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
And viola, now I have 120v power beneath the seat

Verified:

And looks like I'm losing about .02v on the doubled up 10AWG lines (battery read at 14.6v)

It's all switched by the SP9100, which I know only supplies 35A on this switch (35Ax 14.6v = 510W, or 35A x 12v = 420W). I can swap it to a 50A fuse on the blue sea systems fuse block and then switch it remotely from the SP9100 if it becomes an issue, but 420W at 120v is still 3.5A, which is more than a standard 150W Ram or F150 outlet put out.

Next up is mounting 2 of these, one on the rear seat plastic trim and one in the passenger footwell. I wanted one with a square cover, but couldn't find an RU rated one like that without it being 150W limited and OEM with multiple harnesses.

Made quite a mess

And all cleaned up. Ahhhh. Satisfying.

Discussion starter · #42 ·
Took a few hours last night to install these 110v outlets; one in the front passenger footwell and one centered on the rear bench seat support trim.

I had to remove 3 trim pieces total; the passenger left footwell trim, the shifter/cupholder surround, and the center console (which just lifted out after I removed the other two).

Cleaned the center console because it was already out and very convenient.

I cut the female end off of a 10ft extension cord and used fishing tape to pull it under the carpet from the rear benchseat which houses the 600W SAMLEX Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

A 1.5" hole saw was just the right diameter for the outlets. Deburred because why not.

I reinstalled all the trim and pulled the extension cord through, cutting off as much as I felt comfortable.

I stripped the wires

And installed marine grade adhesive blade connectors

And self tappered the outlet in, checking for voltage before moving on to the [much] easier rear.

Discussion starter · #43 ·
For the rear I was able to premake the cable.
1. Cut female end off
2. Strip sheathing and separate wires
3. Strip off .25"
4. Crimp
5. Heatshrink
6. Slide blades on
7. Crimp
8. Heatshrink

Used a 1.5" hole saw (ignore the 1.25" spade... decided against that), self tappered:

And verified output

Discussion starter · #44 ·

Ordered a full set of Kings today. Probably wont see them for 6+ mo, but I still need to buy some aftermarket UCAs, diff drop, and sway bracket relocation.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
I wonder how long before the manufacturing recovers... or is it just the demand?
I have no data to back this up, but my assumption is demand has skyrocketed with all the remote work people are doing giving them time and freedom to work on their own projects. Possible reduction in workers due to covid/spacing at the factory. Maybe a little influence from all of the "free" money the government has been handing out as well.

Now, in general, we've got the suez canal problem... We'll be feeling that in the months to come even though it's clear now.

Reactions: 93Duc and Y E T I
I have no data to back this up, but my assumption is demand has skyrocketed with all the remote work people are doing giving them time and freedom to work on their own projects. Possible reduction in workers due to covid/spacing at the factory. Maybe a little influence from all of the "free" money the government has been handing out as well.

Now, in general, we've got the suez canal problem... We'll be feeling that in the months to come even though it's clear now.
I can tell you for a fact that is the case. A good friend works in the industry here in San Diego for Off Road Warehouse. Everything is back ordered now because a) everyone is getting outdoors since it was the only place we could go for a while, and 2) supply has diminished due to COVID affecting production. I had to wait 4 months for my front shocks, and 6 for my rears. My awning took about 5 months to get here.

I can tell you for a fact that is the case. A good friend works in the industry here in San Diego for Off Road Warehouse. Everything is back ordered now because a) everyone is getting outdoors since it was the only place we could go for a while, and 2) supply has diminished due to COVID affecting production. I had to wait 4 months for my front shocks, and 6 for my rears. My awning took about 5 months to get here.
I do a lot of mountain and gravel cycling and some of the common components like brake discs and cassettes are basically impossible to find, and there is a lot of Amazon scalping etc.

Discussion starter · #50 ·
AEV Snorkel and S&B Cold Air Intake. Nothing too serious... following the directions yielded good results. I did have to debadge my passenger duramax emblem and modify the length of my Mann Provent200 catch can outlet hose for the S&B intake hose, but that was it.

It was raining a moderate amount today when I drove it around, but not a drop in the air box.

AEV Snorkel and S&B Cold Air Intake. Nothing too serious... following the directions yielded good results. I had to modify the length of my Mann Provent200 catch can outlet hose for the S&B intake hose, but that was it.

View attachment 409920

View attachment 409921

View attachment 409925

View attachment 409926

It was raining a moderate amount today when I drove it around, but not a drop in the air box.

View attachment 409929

View attachment 409930
I'm way too chickenshit to do this myself, def going to a dealer but you did a beautiful job! Curious to hear how MPG/noise is affected.

I'm way too chickenshit to do this myself, def going to a dealer but you did a beautiful job! Curious to hear how MPG/noise is affected.
I have not noticed any difference in noise or mileage on my truck (gas). I recall someone on here with a diesel said their mileage actually went up a couple of mpg's.

Discussion starter · #53 ·
I've only driven it about 20mi since putting on the snorkel/intake so I can't comment on any MPG change yet. I track my fuel consumption with fuel.io, so I'll see if it trends in either direction after 1000mi or so. Noise wise there is an air vacuum sound that is audible in the cab. I'm fairly sure it's because the S&B air box has an intake opening larger than the snorkel, which feeds from the passenger fender, and the stock intake resonator is removed during install. I'm 3d printing a plate to better seal the snorkel tube in the air box. I realize that the big "benefit" or CAIs is they have larger opening than the stock airbox. I don't really have a justification for installing the S&B CAI other than it looks cool and allows me to visually inspect the filter element/airbox for water/debris. I also don't have a justification for the snorkel other than "it looks cool". haha. I don't live in a very dusty place (anymore) nor do I do a lot of river crossings. I've just always liked the look.

Reactions: Y E T I
I've only driven it about 20mi since putting on the snorkel/intake so I can't comment on any MPG change yet. I track my fuel consumption with fuel.io, so I'll see if it trends in either direction after 1000mi or so. Noise wise there is an air vacuum sound that is audible in the cab. I'm fairly sure it's because the S&B air box has an intake opening larger than the snorkel, which feeds from the passenger fender, and the stock intake resonator is removed during install. I'm 3d printing a plate to better seal the snorkel tube in the air box. I realize that the big "benefit" or CAIs is they have larger opening than the stock airbox. I don't really have a justification for installing the S&B CAI other than it looks cool and allows me to visually inspect the filter element/airbox for water/debris. I also don't have a justification for the snorkel other than "it looks cool". haha. I don't live in a very dusty place (anymore) nor do I do a lot of river crossings. I've just always liked the look.
Yeah, I don't think it helps with the river crossings because the wading depth is set by electronics these days, although I've seen some insane videos on here so maybe it kind of helps? I'm not going to do the CAI because, as I just saw from oxidizr's video, you can't run the winch...

Discussion starter · #55 ·
Yeah, I don't think it helps with the river crossings because the wading depth is set by electronics these days, although I've seen some insane videos on here so maybe it kind of helps? I'm not going to do the CAI because, as I just saw from oxidizr's video, you can't run the winch...
And axle breather tubes, and a whole host of others. Also I don't water flooding the cabin. lol.

Cant run a winch with a CAI ? What do you mean ?

Reactions: Y E T I
And axle breather tubes, and a whole host of others. Also I don't water flooding the cabin. lol.

Cant run a winch with a CAI ? What do you mean ?
Just happened to see it here in this thread: Warn 9.5 XPS Winch and AEV ZR2 Bison Winch Mount Kit -... but, I realized you don't have a Bison so maybe a non-issue for you! Here's a thread about the stock breathers on the Colorados: Front and Rear Diff. Breather Tubes TL;DR at some point (prob with the facelift? GM stopped included the long breathers).

Discussion starter · #57 ·
Just happened to see it here in this thread: Warn 9.5 XPS Winch and AEV ZR2 Bison Winch Mount Kit -... but, I realized you don't have a Bison so maybe a non-issue for you! Here's a thread about the stock breathers on the Colorados: Front and Rear Diff. Breather Tubes TL;DR at some point (prob with the facelift? GM stopped included the long breathers).
That's a bummer on both accounts. GM did so good with the original breather tubes... But probably cheaper for shorter ones. I've got a 10k engo circa 2012 mounted in my arb summit bumper. No issues for me, minus the original solenoid box being compromised. I transplanted it to a pelican case.

Reactions: nuclear_runner
Discussion starter · #58 ·
Duplicate post

I have not noticed any difference in noise or mileage on my truck (gas). I recall someone on here with a diesel said their mileage actually went up a couple of mpg's.
Did you do a dealer install?

That's a bummer on both accounts. GM did so good with the original breather tubes... But probably cheaper for shorter ones. I've got a 10k engo circa 2012 mounted in my arb summit bumper. No issues for me, minus the original solenoid box being compromised. I transplanted it to a pelican case.
It's a real shame that GM cheaped out here, its the kind of attention to detail I like. I guess "full length diff/axel/trans breathers!" isn't a selling headline.

Did you do a dealer install?
I have a friend who is the head tech at his shop. I had him do it so if he screwed up, his insurance would cover it.

One thing about noise, when you asked earlier I was thinking only about wind noise, like on the freeway. There is definitely a deeper growl coming from the engine when accelerating at anything above half throttle. Me likey very much!

It's a real shame that GM cheaped out here, its the kind of attention to detail I like. I guess "full length diff/axel/trans breathers!" isn't a selling headline.
How much more could a few feet of hose and a clip or two cost? $2?? This reminds me I still need to extend mine.

41 - 60 of 313 Posts