Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
181 - 200 of 226 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Additionally put some Black/IR reflective flags on my truck because I'm proud to be an American. PixelDecals has always done excellent work, and even though it took a bit longer than the advertised leadtime, worth the wait for the quality work. Not affiliated, just a happy customer since 2013.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Reactions: Y E T I

·
Premium Member
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
1,131 Posts
Additionally put some Black/IR reflective flags on my truck because I'm proud to be an American. PixelDecals has always done excellent work, and even though it took a bit longer than the advertised leadtime, worth the wait for the quality work. Not affiliated, just a happy customer since 2013.

View attachment 421388
Ohhhhh! I like those. I have flags on my truck that look the same, but mine are not reflective.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Wow your post was very informative. Ive learned a lot about my truck since reading your spread sheet and sparked new ideas I want to do lol!
Glad you enjoyed it. I really enjoy wrenching on the truck, as well as using it for as many things as I can.

One thing these forums are good at is getting people to spend money. Many of my ideas were sparked/inspired/guided by these forums. Some I've ripped off of TacomaWorld haha.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it. I really enjoy wrenching on the truck, as well as using it for as many things as I can.

One thing these forums are good at is getting people to spend money. Many of my ideas were sparked/inspired/guided by these forums. Some I've ripped off of TacomaWorld haha.
Im curious. You have that CPAM mount installed. What accessories do you have mounted on there? Or even better, what can you mount on there? Im searching online and cant really find anything. Right now I have my little radio that just sits in that cubby and im curious if I could have it mounted on there.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Im curious. You have that CPAM mount installed. What accessories do you have mounted on there? Or even better, what can you mount on there? Im searching online and cant really find anything. Right now I have my little radio that just sits in that cubby and im curious if I could have it mounted on there.
I have my phone and tablet currently, with provisions (2x RJ45 and 1xRJ12 cable run) to mount a remote radio head or two. Though you can mount anything you want to. I use the circular or square base balls to mount whatever I want.

Aluminum diamond base RAM ball to mount to the CPAM
Medium length RAM arm as linkages
9-10" tablet mount for running torque pro
Circular base ball
Square base ball
WixGear magnetic phone holders
RAM Suction cup mount for rental cars

While it does have a track that accepts RAM track mounts, and you can use composite arms, I found those to be kind of wobbly and prefer the diamond bases with aluminum arms.

Dog Motor vehicle Steering wheel Automotive lighting Automotive design
Land vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Air gun Vehicle
Automotive tire Camera lens Rim Gas Motor vehicle

Drax posted some pictures of his remote radio head mounted in this post.

Rental car setup lol
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel Plant

• Haha
Reactions: Abe17ZR2

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
You should be able to mount a small radio head up there. I have been debating moving mine up there and securing it with a RAM X-Grip. Mine currently lives in the cubby in front of the shifter. It's out of way and low-profile but a real pain to see and operate, especially while driving. Sorry for the crappy photo quality, but you can see how I have things mounted on mine. (The circle to the left is a magnetic phone mount.) It would be very easy to add another X-Grip to hold my ham radio head-unit. (That's actually how I had it mounted in my 4Runner.)

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
You should be able to mount a small radio head up there. I have been debating moving mine up there and securing it with a RAM X-Grip. Mine currently lives in the cubby in front of the shifter. It's out of way and low-profile but a real pain to see and operate, especially while driving. Sorry for the crappy photo quality, but you can see how I have things mounted on mine. (The circle to the left is a magnetic phone mount.) It would be very easy to add another X-Grip to hold my ham radio head-unit. (That's actually how I had it mounted in my 4Runner.)
You could also mount/secure/JB Weld a ram ball to the back of a remote mounting plate/case for it instead of the X Grip. I find the X Grips kind of bulky personally, and wouldn't remove the remote radio head like I sometimes do my tablet.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
You could also mount/secure/JB Weld a ram ball to the back of a remote mounting plate/case for it instead of the X Grip. I find the X Grips kind of bulky personally, and wouldn't remove the remote radio head like I sometimes do my tablet.
I like that idea

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Rectangle Communication Device Font Gadget Technology

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED - Trapped in hotel room and unable to fly home due to weather.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Latest oil analysis. I ordered this analysis because the oiled S&B filter showed higher levels of silicon than the paper ACDELCO OEM. I ran this 5k miles on the dry filter media, and have swapped back to the oiled for one last run to see if there is a any trend/correlation.

Font Material property Parallel Pattern Rectangle

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Currently working on a platform to delete the rear seats out of my truck based on the Akicita and Goose Gear ones. Going to incorporate 2, 48" long sections of L Track fore and aft.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Rectangle Font Circuit component Parallel Technology

Azure Font Line Material property Rectangle

Rectangle Font Technology Parallel Electric blue

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
So now that I've received everything and finished my plywood model, it was time to begin on the actual platform. Thanks @Akicita, @RKTROY, and @Y E T I for your insight. I decided on rounded over L Track mounted on top thru to the extruded aluminum T-nuts on the bottom. I feel like that offers the most strength and with rails at the far edges, it shouldn't bother me too much with them not flush.

Some pictures along the way:
Wheel Tire Wood Table Asphalt

Tire Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Road surface Asphalt Flooring Floor Wood

Rectangle Wood Floor Font Flooring

Wood Floor Rectangle Gas Composite material

And I rescued this hummingbird who was trapped in my garage trying to fly through a window. Was so exhausted it just landed and let me gently push it into my hand and carry it outside, where it hung out for 5-10mins in my hand drinking a 25% solution of sugar:water from a bottle cap, then decided it was time to go.
Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Safety glove Glove Automotive tire

Glove Safety glove Road surface Asphalt Gesture

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
Good on ya for saving the hummingbird!! Looking good so far! I'm leaning heavily towards doing a 60% rear seat delete.
This platform, like Akicita and the Goose Gear one are all reversible so I say go for it. It's a lot of routing. I'm not the best routist around and learning a lot as I go. Really enjoying it :)

Made some serious progress today. I got the access panel corners sanded to a nice curve, routed the rabbets on the platform
Wood Rectangle Font Line Gas

And then rabbeted the panels. I increased the amount of clearance each one got as well to maybe account for paint.. We'll see.
Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor Font

I used the jigsaw for the cutout for the latches
Wood Wall Gas Landscape Font

Plunge routed flat based countersinks for all the hardware to sit flush

Wood Table Automotive tire Hardwood Flooring
Wood Table Composite material Wood stain Hardwood

I checked the L Track + Extruded alignment and bolt depth:
Building Wood House Gas Hardwood

Did a final test fit:
Fixture Wood Automotive design Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Routed a little groove for my RF cables and routed a round over of the edges on the platform and supports:
Table Wood Automotive tire Workbench Automotive exterior

Then painted
Wood Rectangle Floor Flooring Art

Wood Automotive tire Floor Gas Bumper

I managed to get 2 coats on the top today, and 1 coat on the bottom. The only thing remaining is another coat on the bottom, and then raptor line ! So exciting. The acrylic latex paint might be unnecessary but I wanted it to help stabilize/regulate the moisture content of the plywood. I've read some stories about sprinter vans and offroad trailer exterior Line-x swelling and cracking due to moisture and sunlight. This is interior, but figured it would help. Also I've heard it helps to prime in black for coloring when rolling on bedliner. $9 in paint and makes me feel better = worth it.

·
Registered
2017 ZR2 V6 gas
469 Posts
This platform, like Akicita and the Goose Gear one are all reversible so I say go for it. It's a lot of routing. I'm not the best routist around and learning a lot as I go. Really enjoying it :)

Made some serious progress today. I got the access panel corners sanded to a nice curve, routed the rabbets on the platform
View attachment 427109

And then rabbeted the panels. I increased the amount of clearance each one got as well to maybe account for paint.. We'll see.
View attachment 427110

I used the jigsaw for the cutout for the latches
View attachment 427111

Plunge routed flat based countersinks for all the hardware to sit flush

View attachment 427112 View attachment 427113

I checked the L Track + Extruded alignment and bolt depth:
View attachment 427115

Did a final test fit:
View attachment 427117

Routed a little groove for my RF cables and routed a round over of the edges on the platform and supports:
View attachment 427118

Then painted
View attachment 427119

View attachment 427120

I managed to get 2 coats on the top today, and 1 coat on the bottom. The only thing remaining is another coat on the bottom, and then raptor line ! So exciting. The acrylic latex paint might be unnecessary but I wanted it to help stabilize/regulate the moisture content of the plywood. I've read some stories about sprinter vans and offroad trailer exterior Line-x swelling and cracking due to moisture and sunlight. This is interior, but figured it would help. Also I've heard it helps to prime in black for coloring when rolling on bedliner. $9 in paint and makes me feel better = worth it.
Whoa nice work! I'm excited to see the finished product. I couldn't help but notice your setup, there is a PVC pipe running along the wall with what seem to look like vacuum hoses. Are those for individual tools to suck up saw dust as you go along?

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Whoa nice work! I'm excited to see the finished product. I couldn't help but notice your setup, there is a PVC pipe running along the wall with what seem to look like vacuum hoses. Are those for individual tools to suck up saw dust as you go along?
Yessir. Makes the shop a lot cleaner... downside is I don't have dust collection for my router which is an absolute wood chip generating machine (as you can see on the floor haha)

If you're interested in my setup, each side has 3x valves (the black handles) to turn on and off. The system sends everything through a Dust Deputy Cyclonic Separator mounted on top of a 14gal drum run from an 11yo RIGID 14Gal vacuum. The dust deputy works really well actually. The PVC valves connect to some 2 1/2" x 20' Clear PVC Dust Collection Hose which connects to my miter saw and drill press. There's a full 20' long run of it I use for my table saw and connecting to various tools in the middle of the shop and a medium run of it on the sanding station for random orbital sander and belt sander.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
Yesterday evening I taped off everything and rolled on 2x coats of roll on Raptor Liner. I must say, I was surprised at how complete of a kit it was. In addition to the hardener and bedliner it contained sanding blocks, trays, and rollers. Really easy kit, though the mixing quantities (1L at a time) were too much for me... wish I had a way of saving it or though of a method of accurately mixing less.

Regardless, turned out really well for an at home roll on kit.

Wood Rectangle Gas Composite material Flooring

Table Wood Rectangle Textile Interior design

Rectangle Wood Floor Flooring Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
After letting it off-gas for 5 days while I was out of town, I assembled and installed it:

Wood Gas Machine tool Machine Engineering

With this many T-Nuts, I certainly hope that L-Track on the other side is secure (lol)

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Bumper

I've never used extruded aluminum before, but found it really strong and exactly as advertised: industrial erector set for grown children. It cut fairly easily on my mitersaw with 12-Inch 100 Tooth Aluminum and Non-Ferrous Metal Saw Blade and some Nikx Stikx Metal Cutting Compound.

Motor vehicle Rectangle Automotive design Automotive tire Tints and shades

I haven't mounted the aluminum hatch support since Amazon shipped me the wrong thing (5/8" jam nuts instead of 10-32 screws) so re-ordered from McMasters. Hatches seem fine without it, for now, but that is what the 2 empty holes are for on the hatches.

I rarely route freehand, and could have done a better job plunge routing the latch recesses but they move freely so I'll call that a win. A skill to improve on, for sure.

I quite enjoy the contrast of SS hardware on the matte black platform. Really happy with how it turned out, thanks again to @Akicita, @Y E T I, and @RKTROY.

181 - 200 of 226 Posts