Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are on an extended trip across America. Went to Iowa State Fair. Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. Room was infested with flea's. Got at least 10 bites/welts on each foot and legs. Complained, to no avail. All we got was Awwwwwe, so sorry, have a nice day. Stopped again in Nebraska at a newly renovated Quality Inn. Same exact thing all over again. We both showered right before we left. No issues in vehicle. So now we have 20 -30 bites/welts all over our bodies.

Is this the New America ?

Even though truck outside temp showed 103*F , we are now tent camping in MOAB Utah. This whole I gotta take my pet everywhere I go thing is really unbelievable to me. You can't smoke but you can bring an animal in a hotel room that can & does ruin other people's vacations. I have never, ever met a pet owner that wasn't "responsible " according to them, nor one that had a pet with flea's. Nobody's pet has flea's right ? But just here at this Campgrounds I have seen dogs, not on a leash, urinating on the edges of other people's tents and crapping while the owner watches but does not clean up after it. But they are responsible pet owners, according to them.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We gave them horrible reviews online but I suspect they have already been removed.

Have since tried finding a hotel that doesn't accept pets but it seems like all do now, for an upcharge. Also tried finding rooms that are pet free, was told no such thing exists because they have no way of knowing, as they just pay the upcharge & can do that with any room.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
That is how hotels work nowadays. They have smoke free rooms, that I have smelled smoke in. I would be pissed if I could ever prove that a Pet Free room had had a pet in it, because I am highly allergic to dogs. They have rules, but customers do not follow them and the hotel does not enforce the rules. All they care about is money for the room. Haven’t been in a hotel/motel room for years. Same problems with campgrounds, the pet cannot be responsible, it takes the pet owner to do that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Certain hotels (e.g., La Quinta) do a much better job in managing this - while others just don’t care. We have found the good ones have designated rooms that are dog friendly and others where no dogs are permitted so if there is an issue it’s contained. And these hotels enforce the no pets in the pet free rooms. For the pet allowed rooms they provide special products in the rooms (as well as follow-up cleaning by their housekeeping staff) specifically designed for pet care.

We have large dogs and occasionally travel with them. For those occasions when we do bring them along we've learned some hotels are as noted above flea bag motels while others do a good job - including for those who are not pet owners.

We’ve found that doing a little homework on line ahead of time will uncover who is good and who should be avoided. You can’t rely on the chains operating exactly the same as many are privately owned franchises. So read in line about the hotel you want to stay at in a given location and your results. Will be much better. Once we figured this out we have not had any trouble since then - including clean rooms, no flea or tick issues, etc.

But I hear your pain 2019RedZR2. And like you, we no longer do the campground thing because of the free-roaming pets. You can’t contain them in a tent like you can in a closed hotel room.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
So, the moral of this story is, flea bag motels are alive and well again.
I Know! I travel a lot up and down the East Coast and have seen everything. Just be glad you didn't have bedbugs! They like to come home with you. Hahahaha

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The pet-friendly places we've stayed (We have a Border Collie, no fleas) when we're trying to cover a lot of distance and don't want to set up the trailer for just one night have had pet-only rooms, they didn't have all rooms as pet-friendly. In fact, when I made online reservations for a stay recently I selected a larger room and indicated we had a pet, when we got there they said "Oh, pets aren't allowed in those rooms. I'll have to put you in one of our pet-friendly rooms."

So maybe they were near capacity and only had pet rooms open?

I guess you need to say you have a "pet allergy" and cannot be in rooms that have had pets and see what they say. Kind of annoying that they would put someone into a pet room without asking if they're allergic to cats/dogs or mind being in a pet room. Sorry you've had a bad time with that, we've never experienced that in our journeys.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Next time you stay in a no pet room, think about what “clean” people do in those rooms......., I have seen people who pissed all over the walls, floors, taking a dump in the floor, bed, smearing it on the walls, body fluids all over the bed, to a dead body that was hidden under a bed for days, with people renting the room.

Personally, I am more worried about “rogue pubes” than fleas

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Next time you stay in a no pet room, think about what “clean” people do in those rooms......., I have seen people who pissed all over the walls, floors, taking a dump in the floor, bed, smearing it on the walls, body fluids all over the bed, to a dead body that was hidden under a bed for days, with people renting the room.

Personally, I am more worried about “rogue pubes” than fleas

That’s not clean people, them are Stupid, POS, Sick, Bastards. That’s the kind of people that have pets in campsites that are not responsible enough to pick up after their dog, so instead they get the pile of **** delivered to their door step at night, so they can step in it early in the morning. Sometimes they get a little extra from someone else’s dog. Do not feel a bit sorry for them. It’s their pet. Have to teach them responsibility since they are not smart enough to have any.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can't say I have ever had issues with fleas, but I did have a bad experience with bedbugs once. I travel with a bottle of Permethrin in my luggage now and spray stuff down when I arrive. That stuff will take care of bed bugs or fleas. I also keep the outside of my luggage treated. This sort of sounds more like bed bugs to me, but maybe it was fleas.

I also travel with my dog pretty often, but I am not one to let him make a mess without cleaning it up and I certainly don't let him run around off his leash in a public place. I know it still bugs some people but I don't much care about that.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I am not a camper kind of guy. When my wife and I travel we usually stay in upscale hotels. For the most part they’ve been a good experience.

Sometimes when I traveled alone for business I’d stay at cheaper (also less desirable) accommodations. I did this because at the time I got a per diem rate for whatever city I was in. Meaning, if the city rate was $100 and I found a room for $50 I got to keep the difference.

I once went to a city where the per diem rate was $179 per night. I found a no-name motel for only $39 a night! So I booked for three nights.

After working all day I took an evening flight to be at an 8 AM meeting the next day. I got to the motel just before midnight. When I got there the outside neon “WELCOME” sign was buzzing and flickering. Not a good start.

After checking in I went to my room. Upon entering I could hear drip.... drip.... drip. The bathroom sink was leaking. I reached over for the light switch and when I flicked it on the overhead light blew out. As I walked over to turn on the desk light my shoes were sticking to the floor. The final insult was when I turned back the covers. You guessed it, pubic hairs in the middle of the sheets!

They offered me another room, I declined. They eventually reimbursed the $39. I ended up staying a place $40 over the approved rate. This cost me $120 out of my own pocket.

Over the years I’ve told this story many times. In some twisted way it has become one of those life adventures I like to talk about.

Gusto!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
First issue that I have heard of fleas, but I can see how it could happen. Fleas are hard to get rid of, without fogging everything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
16WhiteColly
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing