Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • Truck seat covers are up to 76% off right now on eBay. Click here for Black! Tan! Multi-coloured! even Camo!
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Just got these installed. Got mixed feelings about them.

Here are the pictures and review

So install took me a while. But since there weren't any instructions yet I had to play around with it to find out what to remove and how.

Fitment: I give it 3.5-4 stars / 5

I wonder if they even had a Colorado to test fit these on when the made them or if they just went by the stock piece and molded it from there. The step piece required some trimming (very little but some) to fit due to the fact that the light indents into the back of the step. That indent wouldn't let the piece slide into place. Took me a while to figure this out because I kept on trying to push it in place and it wouldn't fit. That was when I noticed that the indent of the light "bucket" prevented it from sliding into place without the trimming.

Once I got that then came putting the step back on. Again, I wonder if they test fit this on an actual truck. The light bucket again prevented the light/foot piece from installing 100% in place. The light bucket hits the metal baseplate so I was left with 1 bolt left over on each side. I tried and tried but could not get the step to push in enough for that one bolt to fit. I couldn't get the bolt in because that particular one used a c-clip type metal clip that houses the thread for the bolt. Since it didn't light up I couldn't even get the bolt to line up with the c-clip threads.

Same thing with one of the little bolts on one side. Maybe it was manufacturing tolerance but again one of the c-clips wouldn't light up.

These fitment issues is why I docked it 1.5 points.

Quality: 3.8 stars/ 5

The step itself feels like the same plastic as the stock step. It has the same texture on the step portion and is close in color (it is a little darker, but it could be that the stock part was also already fading.

The place where I docked it was the wiring ends. The wires felt too small in gauge for me. I crimped on some connectors in my install but would have preferred some thicker wires for peace of mind.

Another thing, the lens is held in place by black silicone. During install, I guess from trying to figure everything out and how it fit the lens started to pop off on one of the corners. At the end I ran a bead of additional silicone to protect it from water as I don't think the internal LEDS are waterproof since it looks like a plain board and no gel coat.

Function:3.75 stars / 5

This is one part where I gotta double check with someone else that gets these. What made me dock a point is that the way I have it wired, brake lights turn on but are orange in color. Parking lights are red, reverse is white, and turn signal with lights are is an alternating red/orange.

Turn signals by themselves are a cool sequential blinker.

I tried swapping the leads around but couldn't get red to be brake light. The only thing I can think of is that the LEDs don't have variable brightness, so they are wired to turn orange since if the lights are on, they are already red and cant get any brighter to signal brake vs parking light function

I docked it .25 points because I get interference in my backup cam. Its got a bit of snow when it turns on. I double checked my connections and they all seem tight.

I wired them to my trailer plug so maybe if someone wires them to the tail lights they can chime in on how theirs works.

Ill have an install writeup soon. And also a video, it just that its not dark enough yet.
Thx for very good reviw.

Reactions: 195770

·
Registered
362 Posts
It's almost like they are "global" light sets. In the United States manufacturers very rarely use amber on the rear of a vehicle.

If the lights had two sets of red and no amber then you could have one red on as running, two on for stop (brighter intensity), and combo for blinking with brakes. The amber just kinda varies from what is standard in the US.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Reactions: savagebob

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
I would think that you need a CHMSL feed for the brake lights to work properly. Or at least tie the lights into their respective L & R taillight wiring harness. Not sure the trailer wiring will give a brake light input that is independent from the turn signals.

You might be getting orange from red and yellow coming on at the same time under braking.

I ordered a set and will likely use only the sequential turn signal feature. The other lights will be used as auxiliary flashing lighting controlled by a separate controller.

Just solved the problem.

These lights will have to be wired to the tail lights in order to function properly.

I realized last night that by having the turn and brake wired to the same lead on the trailer harness (given it IS a brake/turn signal line since trailers don't have independent ones I guess) the turn signal got power at the same time as the brake. Since the turn signal wire on the step lights got power, it gave the command for ORANGE lighting to illuminate. Just like SavageBob said a couple posts back

I just tried by unhooking the turn signal wire from the steps (and leaving the brake wire attached to the brake/turn trailer lead) and I got a brighter red!

So that problem is solved I guess, I'm going to wire them to the tail lights later today when I have time.

Edit 2:

If you leave the turn signal wire off from the steps I noticed you still get blinker function. It just isn't sequential or orange but instead red. I guess its an option if you didn't care for the orange light or sequential feature.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Trailers use the same wire for turns and brake on each side. If you are hooking to truck's trailer harness you will get red turns, and brake.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Just wired to the tail lights and same situation.

If I leave the turn signal wire from the step lights disconnected, I get : dim parking, bright red brake, red turn signal (non sequential).

If I connect the turn signal wire from the steps to the turn signal wire on the lights I get : dim parking, orange brake, sequential turn signal orange or if the lights are on alternating orange/red sequential.

Starting to think the issue might be our tail lights. I know on my old truck (Nissan), only 1 of the bulbs was just turn signal. But in ours, both bulbs are all parking/brake/turn signal. So no matter where I wire the yellow turn signal input from the steps, it will get power when brakes are applied since brake sends power to both bulbs.

That's just my thinking, but I'm no electrical expert. If there was an independent bulb/wire just for turn signals I don't think I would be having an issue. But the thing is that there are only 4 wires coming to the tail light harness, Ground (to all 3 bulbs), reverse, park lamp, and brake. That's how its listed in the upfitters manual as well.

I gave Anzo a call and they said they would call me back once they looked into it further.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Just wired to the tail lights and same situation.

If I leave the turn signal wire from the step lights disconnected, I get : dim parking, bright red brake, red turn signal (non sequential).

If I connect the turn signal wire from the steps to the turn signal wire on the lights I get : dim parking, orange brake, sequential turn signal orange or if the lights are on alternating orange/red sequential.

Starting to think the issue might be our tail lights. I know on my old truck (Nissan), only 1 of the bulbs was just turn signal. But in ours, both bulbs are all parking/brake/turn signal. So no matter where I wire the yellow turn signal input from the steps, it will get power when brakes are applied since brake sends power to both bulbs.

That's just my thinking, but I'm no electrical expert. If there was an independent bulb/wire just for turn signals I don't think I would be having an issue. But the thing is that there are only 4 wires coming to the tail light harness, Ground (to all 3 bulbs), reverse, park lamp, and brake. That's how its listed in the upfitters manual as well.

I gave Anzo a call and they said they would call me back once they looked into it further.
Maybe use the center brake light wire for a feed to the "brake" wire on the Anzos. Then for turn signals use the brake/TS wire from the taillights.

I only intend to hook up the sequential turn signals to the vehicle wiring. The other useable features of the Anzos will be triggered with a different LED flasher module from my master controller.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
UPDATE:

Been talking with Anzo and the vendor (and the vendor has been talking to the manufacturer).

Looks like these will only work without amber/orange turn signals. This also means blinkers will not be sequential.

So functions will be :

• Dim red running
  • Brighter red Brake
  • red turn signal (on off)
  • White reverse.

This is what the vendor told me after they tested another set:

We tested it, and know what’s wrong, all US version tail lights does not required to have amber , so the brake and signal are on the same wire, for your tail lights, there’s only 3 wires, one reverse , one for (brake/signal), and one for parking. It is a design error, this rear step LEDs may work on European version which requires amber signal at the rear, but it surely won’t work for the US version. No matter how you connects the signal, to brake or parking , it will not work correctly, seems like you can only disable the amber wire, can only have brake, reverse and parking function.

We’ll let manufacturer know about the issue, see if there’s a way to have the signal work , will let you know once they replied.

So for the time being that's the way they are going to work.

Ill get an updated video of the functions posted soon. I took off the one I had because it showed the orange light problem.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
UPDATE:

Been talking with Anzo and the vendor (and the vendor has been talking to the manufacturer).

Looks like these will only work without amber/orange turn signals. This also means blinkers will not be sequential.

So functions will be :

• Dim red running
  • Brighter red Brake
  • red turn signal (on off)
  • White reverse.

This is what the vendor told me after they tested another set:

So for the time being that's the way they are going to work.

Ill get an updated video of the functions posted soon. I took off the one I had because it showed the orange light problem.
I plan on using only the sequential turn signal feature. All the other lights will be re-purposed to work with my warning light system.

There are several trailer light adapters, but they do the opposite. They convert the separate turn signal/brake light (Euro style) inputs to the simple 3 wire 9combined) output for common trailer wiring.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ill try to post some soon

It is slightly darker. But I'm not sure if it because the steps are new and the rest of the stock bucket is already weather/sun worn.

I was thinking the same thing about weather /sun worn.

Just wanted to make sure so these when you apply the brake turn on red and when the lights are on are red also but are amber for turn signals ?

·
Registered
739 Posts
With as much as you've tried, it might have been easiest to simply run turn signal wires from the front at this point. You could also get a clean(no turn signal) brake signal from the third brake light, but I'm not certain that's necessary as long as you get a separate signal for the blinkers from the front. It's alot of work, but probably the only way to make them function 100% like you want.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Brake lights on the tail light harness are also turn signals. Anything you hook up to this wire on the truck will flash (red in this case) when the turnsignal is used. The front turn signal parallel hook up to the anzo amber sequential (yellow) wire will work great.

You can not stop the red brake light from flashing with turn signals unless youi tap into the 3rd brake light over the cab. This is the correct fix that @onebaddz and others suggested.

Get the turn signal feeds from the front turn signals.
Get the brake light feed from the third brake light and connect it to both anzo blue wires.

My thoughts are to not hook up any brake lights. I think the bright red brake LEDs will severly affect the perceived brightness of the yellow sequential turn signals.

Reactions: mmillerff2004

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Does that fit our trucks ? I like this one better
nope, different plastic forms as it moves toward the licence plates. The one that fits our bumpers has small "tails" to them.

I am sure you could make it work but it would take some cutting and gluing, so basically....no.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Brake lights on the tail light harness are also turn signals. Anything you hook up to this wire on the truck will flash (red in this case) when the turnsignal is used. The front turn signal parallel hook up to the anzo amber sequential (yellow) wire will work great.

You can not stop the red brake light from flashing with turn signals unless youi tap into the 3rd brake light over the cab. This is the correct fix that @onebaddz and others suggested.

Get the turn signal feeds from the front turn signals.
Get the brake light feed from the third brake light and connect it to both anzo blue wires.

My thoughts are to not hook up any brake lights. I think the bright red brake LEDs will severly affect the perceived brightness of the yellow sequential turn signals.

Yep, this sounds like its going to be the only correct way to get all the functions to work . I'm content with they way I have it wired now (no yellow turns, flashing red turn signals). Plus having to run wires from the front turn signals and the rear high mount brake light is way more work than I feel like doing.

Id actually rather just leave it as is because since there is no yellow light in the rear, id rather have all the lights red.

But at least we figured this all out with everyones help. Guess being on of the firsts to get these, especially with no instructions made it more of a trial and error than it should have been.

Reactions: savagebob

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I was thinking the same thing about weather /sun worn.

Just wanted to make sure so these when you apply the brake turn on red and when the lights are on are red also but are amber for turn signals ?
Just in case you missed it (since Ive edited the first 2 posts so many times already >:) ), here is a video I made last night showing the functions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihh6eqszaYE

That is with the turn signal wire from the steps NOT connected . all other step light wires tapped into the tail lights.

Like stated in the previous posts, if you want to get orange turn signal you will probably need to tap into the front turn signals by sending a wire from the front of the truck to the rear. And also tap into the third brake light to get a clean, no turn signal brake line.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just in case you missed it (since Ive edited the first 2 posts so many times already >:) ), here is a video I made last night showing the functions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihh6eqszaYE

That is with the turn signal wire from the steps NOT connected . all other step light wires tapped into the tail lights.

Like stated in the previous posts, if you want to get orange turn signal you will probably need to tap into the front turn signals by sending a wire from the front of the truck to the rear. And also tap into the third brake light to get a clean, no turn signal brake line.

Considering they turned orange when you hooked the turn wire up to the brake/turn in the rear originally, I'm not positive a clean no turn brake signal is really necessary. They functioned "properly" in the turn signal regard while using the flashing brake signal previously. You could test it by having someone hold the brakes as you have it wired now, and you just touch the turn wire to 12v a few times on/off manually to mimic the front turn signal input.

I could be wrong, but technically you did previously have flashing signal to both the brake and turn signal wires on the steps and the orange worked right. The only reason you're separating them is to get proper red function back, so hooking the turn to the front should actually return whatever side the turn signal is on to the previous state when the signal is on, where the orange worked the way you would have wanted.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Installed my Anzo Step Lights today

Many thanks to @spoonman His "step by step" :) was spot on. I had already removed my steps several times, but the real help was with the pictures and tips on where trimming was necessary. Worked like a charm.

The Anzo parts were a bit warped and took some fiddling and force to get them in place and get all the bolts started.

The most difficult fitment was getting the assembled steps to close the gap next to the license area. Took some pressure and tightening the bolts in sequence. Even after I siliconed the lights in place and let it cure for a week, all the pushing and adjusting made one of the light covers a bit loose at the ends. Not a real quality product, but the final result was acceptable.

I didn't have time to wire them. I intend to only use the sequential turn signal function and will run wires from the front turn signals to power them.

While I had it apart I installed my Feniex 360 degree Cannons for auxiliary lighting functions. Part of a bigger plan. Just drilled a 1" hole and siliconed them in place from the top. These have amber and white LEDs and have 3 programmable functions and flash patterns/colors. Can be used for wide dispersion back up lights, emergency flashers, and 1 other function of my choice.

Attachments

Reactions: plainbrad
21 - 40 of 68 Posts