Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anzo USA Rear Bumper Step Leds Installed/ Review/ Install Writeup

Just got these in today. I know they have been talked about on here before.

Steps seem to replace the factory step pads. Wiring seems simple enough since the wires are labled. I guess I'm going to have to do my own writeup as to how to install these since they didn't have instructions :surprise:

Steps were kinda warped out of the box. Maybe from them not being supported inside the box. I don't think its gonna be a problem, should straighten up once the get installed I hope.

Leds are behind a plastic cover. Hope that helps keep water out.

It comes with a good length of wiring for both sides. There is some sort of box on it, not sure for what. Maybe resistors or maybe the control box which controls the functions. Who knows.

Wires terminate to bare wire ends, was hoping they would have a 4 pin plug or something but I guess ill either have to hardwire them or wire them to a connector. The ends are clearly labeled at least, so it shouldn't be too hard to wire them up.

Picture from Sema:

In Hand photos:

Installed Pictures:

LINK TO MY REVIEW
http://coloradofans.com/forums/201-...rear-bumper-step-leds-hand-2.html#post3459378

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
INSTALL WRITEUP

So here is the write up to my install.

Tools needed:

10mm Socket
7mm Socket
t-20 Torx Bit

Socket/wrenches/ torx screwdriver

Depending on your method of wiring: Crimps/ ends / etc for the electrical work.

First, identify the bolts that are going to be removed. I have highlighted them with an arrow. In total you should have removed a combination mix of 10 bolts/screws
2- 7mm bolts
4 -10mm bolts
4 - t20 Torx Screws

This bolt is towards the center of the truck closer towards the license plate area and is bolted from the top side down.

This 7mm bolt is at the top of the step "pocket" near the license plate

Once all of these bolts are removed, the whole step/ step pocket is able to be removed.

But first, you need to pop the outer side bumper trim off the step pocket. It is just held by plastic tabs/clips. Just pull at the side piece and it should come loose. It wont come off completely but you need the side loose because you need to pull at it while removing the step / step pocket piece to allow it to come out since it is tucked behind it.

This part:

Now pull the step out towards the rear and to the side. It should pop out, but some force might be needed.

Once you get the step off you can flip it over and see a tab that holds the lower step onto the step pocket.

Push this tab down and slide the lower step until it clears this tab. It kinda slides like a rail. It will only slide to a certain point and then you can pull the lower step from the step pocket.

In order to install the new ANZO step, you need to trim a small piece on the step pocket piece. This is because the new ANZO step has the lights and those lights sit in a pocket that interferes with the install of the new step. If you don't trim this piece the new step wont slide into place all the way.

Trim this area :

Because of this problem:

I outlined where you need to trim and laid a tape measure so you can see how much I trimmed. I probably could have trimmed a bit less so make your own decision on how much to trim if you want.

Once that piece is trimmed, the new step can slide completely into the step pocket.

Piece after trimming:

You can now reinstall the assembled step back on the truck. Make sure that the tabs near the license plate side of the plastic piece slide behind the bumper. You also need to pry at that side bumper trim as you install the step piece so that it can clear it.

Once installed in the bumper, tighten all the bolts back. I started with the top 7mm bolt near the license plate because it tightens the gap where the plastic piece is near the license plate on the outside. Push the step pocket towards the truck to make sure that no gap is present near where the plastic piece and metal bumper meet.

This bolt from earlier you should do first:

I would leave the 3 torx screws in the step pocket for last.

Hopefully all the bolts will go back in. In my case one of the bolts didn't line up. The steel frame under the step hits the LED light cutout and it prevented me from sliding the step in any further to align the hole. I had to leave 1 bolt out on both sides because of this problem.

This is the bolt that didn't line up anymore. The clip with the threads didn't line up with the hole in the step and the hole in the step pocket. It fits when its off the truck but once I installed it the steel bumper frame under the step kept it from aligning.

In additional to all of this, I added a bead of clear silicone along the edges of the light lens. I did this because I noticed that the lens became loose during install on the corners. So I decided to add some silicone to try to keep these as waterproof as possible. I have read about the Silverado version getting water/condensation in them and I'm trying avoid that to prevent LED failure.

WIRING

These lights can be wired in two ways, either by connecting to the tail lights or connecting to the trailer tow harness.

Correction: Pending write up in the wiring. I'm trying to see what it should be. Connecting the turn signal wire from the step lights is causing braking to be orange. If I leave it disconnected, brake lights turn red, but I lose orange colored turn signals and sequential feature

If you were going to wire into the tail lights, you would run the wires from the steps up towards the taillights.

Based on Blue15COloradoLT’s previous post here (http://coloradofans.com/forums/201-...286601-how-add-resistors-led-tail-lights.html)
Black = Negative
Gray = Brake Light / Turn Signal Positive
Orange = Tail Light Positive
Yellow = Reverse light Positive.

So functions will be :
•Dim red running
•Brighter red Brake
•red turn signal (on off)
•White reverse.

Here is a video of the functions as I have it wired right now

https://youtu.be/Ihh6eqszaYE

·
Registered
46 Posts
subbed

·
Registered
204 Posts
I really like the look of the steps. The wiring should be easy, but will the bumper need to be removed to install?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like the look of the steps. The wiring should be easy, but will the bumper need to be removed to install?
We will find out!

Like I said, it didn't have instructions. But I took a look at the bumper and either just the step part needs to come out or the whole foot step area.

Ill have a better idea Friday. I'm waiting for some parts to come in to install it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The problem with all the abs stuff is it turns grey over time, no uv protection

I purchased a complete set of rear and and sent them off to hydrodipping in carbon fiber finish with satin uv spray coating

I think the front spoiler and fog light bezels will look the best in this finish..

I look forward toyour install info..

GB

·
Registered
79 Posts
Definitely looking forward to seeing these installed! I might take the time this weekend to take the step off of the Canyon and verify fitment for that as well before trying to order. I found hem at work, and the part number is good, but they are saying no availability yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Spoonman, definitely keep us updated. Anzo never replied to my request a month ago about the aftermarket headlights, but these are on my list.
I want to say it would probably make it easier to install by going ahead and removing the bumper. The bumper is held on by some pretty large bolts that were a MAJOR pain to get off with a ratchet. I recommend a powerful air ratchet. I think they have the OEM step secured in one spot with a rivet. That annoyed me.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Are they available for purchase? Link?

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just ordered mine. $100.72

·
Registered
343 Posts
Reactions: savagebob

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jegs has them. $62 with "free" shipping; they add a $7.99 handling charge. $69.99 total.

Anzo 861171, | Anzo
Good price! Below MSRP.

I paid retail ($75) + 10 for shipping from Revotec (the guy that is selling the LED tails for our trucks on ebay). But I also ordered last week when no one was selling them then. (tried contacting realtruck and some others and no go)

My trailer harness t connector should be here today, so I should get these installed today or this weekend.

I bought the t connector harness because I don't want to splice directly into any of my factory wiring. I don't know, I just feel paranoid splicing into the factory stuff which would probably cost $$$ to replace.

Also, looks like you can splice directly to the tail lights as well, but I didn't go that route in case I get those LED ones later on.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Just got these installed. Got mixed feelings about them.

Here are the pictures and review

So install took me a while. But since there weren't any instructions yet I had to play around with it to find out what to remove and how.

Fitment: I give it 3.5-4 stars / 5

I wonder if they even had a Colorado to test fit these on when the made them or if they just went by the stock piece and molded it from there. The step piece required some trimming (very little but some) to fit due to the fact that the light indents into the back of the step. That indent wouldn't let the piece slide into place. Took me a while to figure this out because I kept on trying to push it in place and it wouldn't fit. That was when I noticed that the indent of the light "bucket" prevented it from sliding into place without the trimming.

Once I got that then came putting the step back on. Again, I wonder if they test fit this on an actual truck. The light bucket again prevented the light/foot piece from installing 100% in place. The light bucket hits the metal baseplate so I was left with 1 bolt left over on each side. I tried and tried but could not get the step to push in enough for that one bolt to fit. I couldn't get the bolt in because that particular one used a c-clip type metal clip that houses the thread for the bolt. Since it didn't light up I couldn't even get the bolt to line up with the c-clip threads.

Same thing with one of the little bolts on one side. Maybe it was manufacturing tolerance but again one of the c-clips wouldn't light up.

These fitment issues is why I docked it 1.5 points.

Quality: 3.8 stars/ 5

The step itself feels like the same plastic as the stock step. It has the same texture on the step portion and is close in color (it is a little darker, but it could be that the stock part was also already fading.

The place where I docked it was the wiring ends. The wires felt too small in gauge for me. I crimped on some connectors in my install but would have preferred some thicker wires for peace of mind.

Another thing, the lens is held in place by black silicone. During install, I guess from trying to figure everything out and how it fit the lens started to pop off on one of the corners. At the end I ran a bead of additional silicone to protect it from water as I don't think the internal LEDS are waterproof since it looks like a plain board and no gel coat.

Function:3.75 stars / 5

This is one part where I gotta double check with someone else that gets these. What made me dock a point is that the way I have it wired, brake lights turn on but are orange in color. Parking lights are red, reverse is white, and turn signal with lights are is an alternating red/orange.

Turn signals by themselves are a cool sequential blinker.

I tried swapping the leads around but couldn't get red to be brake light. The only thing I can think of is that the LEDs don't have variable brightness, so they are wired to turn orange since if the lights are on, they are already red and cant get any brighter to signal brake vs parking light function

I docked it .25 points because I get interference in my backup cam. Its got a bit of snow when it turns on. I double checked my connections and they all seem tight.

I wired them to my trailer plug so maybe if someone wires them to the tail lights they can chime in on how theirs works.

*EDIT*

I just learned that these have to be wired to the tail light to function properly. I finally found out how to get a red brake light to function. Ill update this section of the review when I see if that solves my issue with the brake light color and reverse interference.

Ill have an install writeup soon. And also a video, it just that its not dark enough yet.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
So I tried tinkering a bit again regarding the orange brake lights. I tried swapping the running light wire (knowing this outputs red) with the brake wire (which I originally had hooked into the turn signal/brake wire on the tow harness) and it still gave me the same results.

So I'm assuming that is just the way it is wired. I still might give ANZO a call to double check with them.
I would think that you need a CHMSL feed for the brake lights to work properly. Or at least tie the lights into their respective L & R taillight wiring harness. Not sure the trailer wiring will give a brake light input that is independent from the turn signals.

You might be getting orange from red and yellow coming on at the same time under braking.

I ordered a set and will likely use only the sequential turn signal feature. The other lights will be used as auxiliary flashing lighting controlled by a separate controller.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would think that you need a CHMSL feed for the brake lights to work properly. Or at least tie the lights into their respective L & R taillight wiring harness. Not sure the trailer wiring will give a brake light input that is independent from the turn signals.

You might be getting orange from red and yellow coming on at the same time under braking.

I ordered a set and will likely use only the sequential turn signal feature. The other lights will be used as auxiliary flashing lighting controlled by a separate controller.

That could be it. Let us know how it goes.

If these were only red/ and white for reverse I bet it wouldn't be a problem. its just that added orange function adds a complication.

Like I said, if someone else gets these and wires them to the tail lights and the work with red brake lights, then what you stated must be the problem.

If that's the case Ill just rewire them to the tail lights.

Reactions: savagebob
1 - 20 of 68 Posts