Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2018 z71 3.6 long bed
942 Posts
I got 5.5 on a fluid only.

I'm almost due for oil. I'm going to do the trans check also. While it's still hot to get the trans up there for the level.

I did the change in February.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Sorry, but at a little over two Franklin's, and at my age, I gladly have my local Indy service the tranny. :D

·
Registered
477 Posts
I did not have any trouble with the studs at all. I have a 2018 Z71 and am in the "rust belt" in south east Michigan. The total fluid that I had in my drain pan was just short of 7 quarts. I put 7 quarts in when I filled it.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I did not have any trouble with the studs at all. I have a 2018 Z71 and am in the "rust belt" in south east Michigan. The total fluid that I had in my drain pan was just short of 7 quarts. I put 7 quarts in when I filled it.
Sorry, but at a little over two Franklin's, and at my age, I gladly have my local Indy service the tranny. :D
I have a friend who has too big a belly to easily get under his Colorado for oil changes, so he has a slightly different excuse. I told him he just needs a lift kit.

·
Registered
2018 W/T 4wd silver ice 285/65/18’s zone 5.5” lift Air Design fender flares
102 Posts
I have a friend who has too big a belly to easily get under his Colorado for oil changes, so he has a slightly different excuse. I told him he just needs a lift kit.
I too have a larger🤪 belly. Since I have 6” of lift and larger tires I can slide under quite easily lol.

• Haha
Reactions: White016

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I got around to checking my level "by the book" with transmission level, and added about 8 ounces then let it run out, so mine took just slightly over 7.5 quarts which is what I drained out too. I have seen several folks refer to about 6 quarts for the pan drop and filter change. Don't know why they are seeing a difference but feel good that I verified the original dealer flush was right on as far as level with mine.

Reactions: Friend of Bill

·
Registered
294 Posts
I got around to checking my level "by the book" with transmission level, and added about 8 ounces then let it run out, so mine took just slightly over 7.5 quarts which is what I drained out too. I have seen several folks refer to about 6 quarts for the pan drop and filter change. Don't know why they are seeing a difference but feel good that I verified the original dealer flush was right on as far as level with mine.
did you have your truck sitting over night, its possible you had some drain back from the torque converter

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
did you have your truck sitting over night, its possible you had some drain back from the torque converter
Good point, yes I let it sit overnight. Likely you just figured it out.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Haha...not a problem with me...weigh less than I did as teen (170), just older/wiser. ;) :D

Reactions: SCT USER

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could not find anything recently on this, sorry if I missed it.

Decided to change (some of) my fluid and filter on my 8 speed (it had the new fluid and flush at 2000 miles as a pre-emptive strike) now at 50,000 miles, but with S/C and a lot of towing near max GCWR and at high speed/high temp figured it could not hurt to change out the fluid and filter (not a flush).

At any rate, I can't get the trans pan to clear the crossover exhaust pipe to remove it, it comes very close but jams up. The service manual does not mention anything about dropping the exhaust crossover, so wonder what y'all who have done this encountered. Going to tackle it again in the morning.

Thanks
Advice: Use only GM filter and oil. Dont let anyone flush the trans. I am a trans guy.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
4,271 Posts
Thanks for posting my video. Hopefully it helped anyone who watched it.
You are very welcome.
I have subscribed to your channel.. Love your videos..

Reactions: fondupot and C21964
21 - 34 of 34 Posts