Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could not find anything recently on this, sorry if I missed it.

Decided to change (some of) my fluid and filter on my 8 speed (it had the new fluid and flush at 2000 miles as a pre-emptive strike) now at 50,000 miles, but with S/C and a lot of towing near max GCWR and at high speed/high temp figured it could not hurt to change out the fluid and filter (not a flush).

At any rate, I can't get the trans pan to clear the crossover exhaust pipe to remove it, it comes very close but jams up. The service manual does not mention anything about dropping the exhaust crossover, so wonder what y'all who have done this encountered. Going to tackle it again in the morning.

Thanks

Reactions: Mad German

·
Registered
2018 W/T 4wd silver ice 285/65/18’s zone 5.5” lift Air Design fender flares
105 Posts
Could not find anything recently on this, sorry if I missed it.

Decided to change (some of) my fluid and filter on my 8 speed (it had the new fluid and flush at 2000 miles as a pre-emptive strike) now at 50,000 miles, but with S/C and a lot of towing near max GCWR and at high speed/high temp figured it could not hurt to change out the fluid and filter (not a flush).

At any rate, I can't get the trans pan to clear the crossover exhaust pipe to remove it, it comes very close but jams up. The service manual does not mention anything about dropping the exhaust crossover, so wonder what y'all who have done this encountered. Going to tackle it again in the morning.

Thanks
Pan won’t come out without dropping exhaust. I just reached in with a rag and cleaned it out really good and reassembled it. I’ve done it 3 times since I’ve had mine. About to do it again at 85000

Reactions: Snipesy and C21964

·
Super Moderator
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
4,339 Posts
Here is a video from one of our members:

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Super Moderator
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
4,339 Posts
Thanks for that. One thing is the filter looks different than the one I got from GM, mainly the inlet pipe. If I look at "fitment" it shows that it fits the 2019 as in the video, but sure looks different. Guess I will find out tomorrow.

That's a filter for a Sierra/Silverado, not a Canyon/Colorado. Always enter your VIN when ordering parts.

VEHICLE FITMENT
YearMakeModelBody & TrimEngine & Transmission

2018ChevroletColoradoBase, LT, WT, Z71, ZR22.5L L4 - Gas, 2.8L L4 - Diesel, 3.6L V6 - Gas

2006-2022 GM Automatic Transmission Fluid Filter Kit with Seal 24236933 | GMPartsDirect.com

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a filter for a Sierra/Silverado, not a Canyon/Colorado. Always enter your VIN when ordering parts.
Interesting I guess their application chart is messed up then. Good call on the VIN

·
Registered
133 Posts

VEHICLE FITMENT
YearMakeModelBody & TrimEngine & Transmission

2018ChevroletColoradoBase, LT, WT, Z71, ZR22.5L L4 - Gas, 2.8L L4 - Diesel, 3.6L V6 - Gas

2006-2022 GM Automatic Transmission Fluid Filter Kit with Seal 24236933 | GMPartsDirect.com
And when you search for a 2017 Sierra 1500 5.3 filter you get the same filter as shown for the Colorado. I guess we will find out when he tries to install it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2018 z71 3.6 long bed
955 Posts
There's a youtube that pulled the pan out by prying on the exhaust. You only need 1/2 in.

I'm wondering if a guy undid the exhaust brackets and supports at the back of trans. Maybe lift the back of trans and possibly have the clearance needed to pull the pan out.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So here is the correct filter (quite a few online applications or "fitments" are incorrect). Just picked up at local GMC dealer ~$33 including tax.
The box shows the GM # as well as the AC Delco part number.

Some references show a newer GM part number 24295812, but then the same ACD number.

Wood Office ruler Gas Bumper Font

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't need to drop the crossover much to provide clearance. Be careful not to force the pan at all as the interference/closest item is a solenoid connector, then also the internal multipin connector.

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
278 Posts
It is easy to pull the pipe down. When I reassembled it, I put anti seize on the studs to make it easier next time. With the pipe down, it is very easy to r& r the filter. I plan on doing it every other year. I installed new gaskets for the cross over also. Just in case.
Put an asterisk on that! *It is easy to pull the pipe down when relatively new. 5 years+ in the rust belt and those studs on the cat are snapping if they come out at all. One of the youtube vids for a fluid change on these trucks (not the one posted here) he had to cut off the nuts and put new studs in.

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
Don't need to drop the crossover much to provide clearance. Be careful not to force the pan at all as the interference/closest item is a solenoid connector, then also the internal multipin connector.
question:
Is it a big deal to just remove the exhaust crossover since you have it loose anyway?

·
Registered
474 Posts
How about the pan gasket? A lot of transmission pan gaskets are the reusable design. Those who have did this, new pan gasket or re use old one?

Genuine GM Filter is dirt cheap at Rock Auto. $13 bucks and change but w/o the gasket.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thanks for that. One thing is the filter looks different than the one I got from GM, mainly the inlet pipe. If I look at "fitment" it shows that it fits the 2019 as in the video, but sure looks different. Guess I will find out tomorrow.

Looks like that filter you referenced is for the 6 speed transmission.

Look at Rock Auto for a '21 model and the list three Genuine GM filters. 6 speed, 8 speed and 10 speed transmissions. For the Silverado, which will be the same part (6 and 8 speed parts) for the twins.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How about the pan gasket? A lot of transmission pan gaskets are the reusable design. Those who have did this, new pan gasket or re use old one?

Genuine GM Filter is dirt cheap at Rock Auto. $13 bucks and change but w/o the gasket.
I actually had the kit from NAPA, probably equivalent quality parts but the shrink overwrap was open on the outlet tube and there was contamination in it, as well as the cardboard being bent and a kink in the gasket. Needless to say got a refund. In the case of NAPA not much different than GM dealer pricewise. The pan gasket is reusable and good quality, I guess you could reuse the filter gasket.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So as a side note on fluid capacity, the pan drop and filter change yielded 7.5 quarts so that is how much I put back in. I had a flush and new fluid back about 48,000 miles ago not long after I bought the truck, so what was in there is from that procedure. Seems like other folks who have done the filter change are less than 7.5 quarts. I will be doing a level check later.

• Helpful
Reactions: gherbert
1 - 20 of 34 Posts