Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my search for winter tires for my Canyon SLT (2015) I've run across a number of very positive reviews for the Cooper ATW.

My factory tires have 37,000KM on them so lots of life left, but if I'm going to spend money on winter tires, I'm considering a good year-round option like the Cooper. It seems to perform nearly as well as dedicated winters, and being in Toronto, I don't have tons of snow to deal with.

I've always run dedicated winter tires (Michelin xice) on my cars and loved them, but if I can avoid a 2nd set of rather large wheels for the Canyon in my garage, that would be nice.

Problem is the tire sizing on the Cooper ATW.

For my stock 18" rims (265/60R18 tires) they're available in:

265/70R18 (32.64" x 10.7")
275/70R18 (33.23" x 11.1")
275/65R18 (32.09 x 11.1")

Theoretically the stock tires are 30.5" x 10.4" but I'm not sure of the actual Goodyear OEM tire size.

Bottom line, I'd rather spend $ on a levelling kit and 18" tires keeping my stock rims, than spend $ on 17" rims and tires.

In my reading of the levelling kit survey thread and others, I haven't sorted out if any of the listed 18" tire sizes would fit with one of the standard 1-2" front end kits. I don't want to get into lifting the rear or body lifts.

So - if anyone is running the Cooper ATW I'd be interested in hearing what size you're running, or if anyone can confirm if any of the 18" tire sizes will fit with a 1-2" levelling kit, I'd love to know that as well.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to continue this for posterity and future Google searches, I've started down a path for my winter tires / perhaps year-round.

I'll be picking up a set of All Terrain Canyon 17" rims in a few days, with plans to run Cooper ATW 265/70R17 tires and likely a Zone 1.25" levelling kit to make room for the slightly larger tires. From what I've read a 265/70/R17 should fit with most of the 1-2" levelling kits.

They are also available in a 245/70R17 which is a perfect match for the stock 265/60R18 SLT wheels I have now, just about 3/4" narrower. This would be the fall-back if I don't do the levelling kit.

Better for snow and frankly I don't think I'd miss the 3/4" width difference year-round and I'm looking to run the Cooper ATW 12 months of the year.

I may keep my 18" SLT wheels around as they only have 36,000KM on them so I could swap the 17" on for the winter and sell the 18" set when the tires are worn out switching to the Coopers permanently at that time but I might just ditch them instead of storing the wheels for the winter in my small garage.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I was running the Cooper ATW (now my daughter) on my Jeep Grand Cherokee year round. They wear well and are still in service after 5 years. Once my tires wear out on my 2015 Colorado I will seriously consider them again. I like the fact that they have the snowflake symbol on them and get an additional 5% discount on my insurance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.