Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has re-geared to 4.56 with the nitro gear package?

Colorado / Canyon Gear Package

I'm thinking this will be the next big upgrade on my canyon.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
I sure wish they had a 4.11, 4.56 is a lot of gear even with 34-35" tires.
I am stock and have no intention of changing, but I agree, that seems like way too large a jump for our trucks.

Reactions: beaglebreath

·
Registered
193 Posts
note really, with the 0.674 6th gear in the 6L50 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_6L50_transmission with 34" tires, your at just under 2000 rpm at 65mph Engine RPM / Engine Speed Calculator

My '70 AMX ran 3000 rpm at 65mph with 3.54 gears and 1:1 top gear with a 5.9l pushrod V8. A dohc 3.6l gasser will be fine.

The 8L45 has a slightly tall 0.66 top gear. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_8L45_transmission

Not a bad top gear for a gasser, not tall enough for a diesel.

Make sure your computer knows about the gearing, or it will limit your top speed to ~75mph (98 * 3.42/4.56).

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would like to see a 4.10 for the diesel. Honestly, the 34s aren't as bad as I thought though.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
On a similar topic. Anyone care to post their RPM at a particular highway speed (like 70 or so) in 6th gear with stock tires on a 4x4 2016 V6... ??

That would be awesome. I'm curious what the RPM difference is with my 275/70-17s compared to stock. TIA!

edit, I guess I could use that calculator. what is our gear stock? 3.73?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually Yes, I've tuned a lot of second gens both regeared to 4.56 and SuperCharged!:grin2:

Great to hear. I assume they were using the nitro package? That's the only one I am aware of.

How do you find the results? From what I figure, 4.56 with a 35" tire basically gets you back to a 4.10 final drive. If that's the case, I'm thinking it would be a good move to get the revs back up a bit and back into the power band. Help reduce the sluggishness.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Id like to hear some feed back as well. My truck has such a hard time holding any highway speed without constantly down shifting..im running 275/55/20 with just a level kit in front and block in the rear. I refuse to drive it out of down because of it.. 70mph speed limits here in California and the truck cant hold it with the cruise control engaged on level ground...

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I just ordered my gears and hope to have them installed in the next 2-3 weeks! Will keep you guys posted!

Reactions: SilverColorado2016

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you do the math, a 35" tall tire needs a 4.42:1 gear ratio. But, you would be pushing more mass so, a 4.56:1 isnt that bad. I have a 07 Colorado which came stock with the 3.7 l5 and 3.73's. Im going to a 35" tire and 17" rims. The closest I can get is a 4.56:1 ratio. Ill be a little slower on top end but, I'm more concerned about torque. Chromoly axles are a must.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy ZR2 ECLB, Blue-the best color
261 Posts
i am doing the 4.56 swap in 2 weeks. i will be running 34's as a daily driver. maybe 33's. i will have a set of 35" swampers eventually for the dedicated off road days.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here’s my two cents having both 4.56 & now 4.10’s. This is simply based on real world driving.

2020 ZR2 3.6 with 35’s, and trifecta tune. front and rear steel bumpers. I don’t “overland” so little to no extra weight. I don’t tow anything more than a wave runner, 16ft fishing boat or utility trailer with the truck.

4.56 - worked very well, most noticeable difference is in mpg, especially highway speeds. Gas mileage was reduce to around 13-14 average above 70 mph. Would actually get better mpg under 70. Acceleration was nice.

4.10s - very impressed with these so far. With my current set up I would say it drives very close to stock in both acceleration and mpg.

I would go 4.56 and if you run 35’s, carry a lot of extra weight, tow and wheel a lot. Mpg shouldn’t be a factor to you in your decision.

4.10’s for close to stock weight and 35’s or less in tire size. Looking at slightly better driving experience. Daily driver... or a super charger which is the direction I am going.

Expect to run at slightly higher rpms with 4.56 vs 4.10

Having a trifecta tune is a must to get the most out of the transmission and shift points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.