Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What color to "dip" the badges?

Hi All,

I have a 2015 Black CC/SB 4X4. I am about to plasti dip my window trim, grill and badges. The window trim and grill are going to be black.

I just looked through the thread about showing the Onyx Black twins. I can't find any pictures where the badges, specifically the "All Terrain" have been dipped. Has anybody done this to their All Terrain? Also, what color should I go with? Black? Glossified?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

-Josh

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
They make a spray on Plastidip in a blue that is close to the old blue bowtie color. I did mine in that color, just a whim, I had to color up my used grill I bought for my 2005 after hitting a deer. I like the look, you might have to be kind of old school to appreciate it though. They also had a spray to make Plastidip look "metallic", if I wanted to spend the extra money (I didn't) I would have tried that effect as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have 2017 LT in Black. Would love the all black grille but it is almost $500 dealer. And yet most of the grille is black save for the two chrome areas, one with the bowtie and the one along bottom. Has anyone tried to plasti-dip those to get the all black grille look?

·
Registered
850 Posts
You can find the z71 grill on eBay in the 150plus range. Is your grill the chrome one or already have the z71 grill? I thought about the z71 grill but ended up thinking mine looks better with the chrome grill kinda ties the few chrome accents together ( fog lamps, bottom window sills, and the little chrome there is inside the headlight)

·
Registered
629 Posts
The Z71 Grille will fit on the LT. I picked up one off of craiglist for $170 (guy even threw in 3 free bow-ties). There are some writeups, and a few videos out there. Will need a T15bit. The issue you will run into is some of the bolts are in some tight hard to reach spots. I made a post a while back with video link etc. Will dig for it later.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I decided to try the plastidip. It worked almost perfectly. I had one tiny section not peel away perfectly because I had to masking tape around the factory black part of grille to prevent spray getting into radiator. But it is not even noticeable unless you are very close. I may try to see if I can touch it up.. Worst case, I can peel it all off and re-do it. The finish matches the existing black plastic trim perfectly! Overall a great look for the cost of a can of plasti dip and some masking tape.

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
I decided to try the plastidip. It worked almost perfectly. I had one tiny section not peel away perfectly because I had to masking tape around the factory black part of grille to prevent spray getting into radiator. But it is not even noticeable unless you are very close. I may try to see if I can touch it up.. Worst case, I can peel it all off and re-do it. The finish matches the existing black plastic trim perfectly! Overall a great look for the cost of a can of plasti dip and some masking tape.
Looks nice. If you do decide to try it again try Duplicolor Trim And Bumper paint. Chip proof and does not peel like plastidip.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've used plasti-dip on all kinds of cars.. Used black on my 17 to hide the chrome rims around the fog lights as they look hideous to me in chrome as well as the Bowties. I also used it to cover the welds along the rockers. I liked that look so well I removed the dip and shot it with duplicolor rocker guard from behind the front wheel to the rear bumper at the texture line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.