Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
Not sure I understand the question, perhaps some clarity?

Are you asking what the tongue weight capacity is on the truck? Assuming you have a factory hitch, should be noted on the hitch. However, there are other calculations. For instance, if your hitch capacity is a tongue weight of 900 pounds, and you load trailer to a tongue weight of 900 pounds, then drop 600 pounds of load in the bed and 4 guys at 200 pounds a piece in the cab, you have far exceeded your payload capacity.

If you are asking what should be your tongue weight, that is a factor of the trailer weight, usually around 10-15% of the trailer weight. Again, if you are towing a 5000 pound trailer and use 750 pounds of tongue weight, but with other items in the bed & cab, you exceed the payload capacity, no bueno.

Tell us what you want to do, we would love to confuse you with figures and statistics, or as the Math Genius, Jethro Bodine would say, let's do some cyphering!

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Yeah, tell us...
  • Trailer year, make, model you have or are considering. Don't bother with the trailer dry weight numbers, they're useless. Give us the GVWR from the tire placard on the trailer or we can look up the GVWR online.
  • What the payload number is when you open your driver's door and look at the placard on the B-pillar.
  • How many people and how much stuff you plan on taking with you in the truck.
  • If you're wondering what the max tongue weight is that your truck can have or if you're wondering about something else. Your post wasn't clear, seems you're new to figuring this out and are asking questions without understanding what the terms mean.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
10% of max tow rating. ~700lbs
Not necessarily correct. Some Colorados with a 7,000 max tow have a 770 max tongue weight. Even the ZR2's with a 5,000 limit have a 770 max tongue weight. That some Colorados (2x4 Duramax Colorados) are 10% of max tow is just coincidence. See page 23 of this link.

Also note for the first page given for the Silverado it's a limit of up to 1,250 pounds on several different versions.

And I might as well link this site for dealing with your other weights besides tongue weight.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Not necessarily correct. Some Colorados with a 7,000 max tow have a 770 max tongue weight. Even the ZR2's with a 5,000 limit have a 770 max tongue weight. That some Colorados (2x4 Duramax Colorados) are 10% of max tow is just coincidence. See page 23 of this link.

Also note for the first page given for the Silverado it's a limit of up to 1,250 pounds on several different versions.

And I might as well link this site for dealing with your other weights besides tongue weight.

Or my year which lists a 900lb max tongue weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
And you have that relatively light weight Andersen hitch, so your margin of error is enviable. ;)
I suppose, just wish I had more payload capacity as that’s what I run out of first. Anyway, back on topic. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts