Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been talking with MRT, an exhaust shop in my local area about potentially having them R&D a full cat-back system for the 3.6 V6’s in the 2015+ Canyons and Colorados. I expressed to them that many of us aren’t looking for that loud, raspy, and tinny sound that a lot of the current exhaust options produce. I also mentioned that absolutely no drone is a must! The system would ideally produce a nice, deep sound without getting to the point of raspiness or “ricey-ness”, if you will, that seems so easily achievable with a V6.

If anyone is interested, please let me know!

Here’s a quick sample of how their stainless steel chambered muffler sounds in place of the OEM muffler:
https://youtu.be/y5ioddKS430

I’m happy to report that with just the muffler I have experienced absolutely no drone so far while it produces a subtle yet noticeable growl. I’ll try to get some drive-by videos under decent load next time! The owner of the shop mentioned that the actual cat-back system would be made out of stainless steel and have a twin-tip exit. More details soon if there is enough of an interest!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have been talking with MRT, an exhaust shop in my local area about potentially having them R&D a full cat-back system for the 3.6 V6’s in the 2015+ Canyons and Colorados. I expressed to them that many of us aren’t looking for that loud, raspy, and tinny sound that a lot of the current exhaust options produce. I also mentioned that absolutely no drone is a must! The system would ideally produce a nice, deep sound without getting to the point of raspiness or “ricey-ness”, if you will, that seems so easily achievable with a V6.

If anyone is interested, please let me know!

Here’s a quick sample of how their stainless steel chambered muffler sounds in place of the OEM muffler:
https://youtu.be/y5ioddKS430

I’m happy to report that with just the muffler I have experienced absolutely no drone so far while it produces a subtle yet noticeable growl. I’ll try to get some drive-by videos under decent load next time! The owner of the shop mentioned that the actual cat-back system would be made out of stainless steel and have a twin-tip exit. More details soon if there is enough of an interest!
Make sure he keeps it at 2.75" or even 2.5" piping. That 3" is just too big for our little 6.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'd be interested to see what they come up with. :)

Reactions: BustaLota

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’d argue the 3in is better actually. Can’t really give details on that though unfortunately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At the end of the day, it really is up to them. They’ve been doing this for years so I’m sure they’ve got the experience when it comes to deciding which pipe size to go with.

Regardless, I’ll ask them their opinions on the matter! I’m curious to see what they think of. I’m used to 3” for everything but that was always on some type of performance car.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yep. I was meaning that the notion that these don’t like a 3in exhaust is incorrect. You won’t affect the performance with a cat back, it’s all about sound preference at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yep. I was meaning that the notion that these don’t like a 3in exhaust is incorrect. You won’t affect the performance with a cat back, it’s all about sound preference at that point.

I was just talking about sound. The HP gains from just a catback might be 5hp if we're lucky. The 3" diameter pipe of all these aftermarket systems is why they all sound like poop. A 400hp truck or sports car with a V8 needs that size of piping, not us.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was just talking about sound. The HP gains from just a catback might be 5hp if we're lucky. The 3" diameter pipe of all these aftermarket systems is why they all sound like poop. A 400hp truck or sports car with a V8 needs that size of piping, not us.

I guess, but I’ve listened to them full straight piped on 3” and it sounds pretty mean. But obviously not ideal for DD lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well if you go too big of a pipe, you lose back pressure which can in turn be a loss in performance.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would definitely take a flier on it. At first glance the exhaust in the vid sounded decent. Any performance gains?

I put an aftermarket exhaust on my 2011 Camaro and I noticed some pretty good gains on take off and I think it helped my MPG, if it wasn't due to the increased air flow it was due to losing the weight of the huge cans Chevy put on that thing, I think I shed 80 lbs for that mod.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well if you go too big of a pipe, you lose back pressure which can in turn be a loss in performance.
You're talking minimal gain/losses to the point that you would not notice any difference (like +/- 1-2%). Any performance exhaust reduces restriction in the cat-back portion. That is why you buy a cat-back (although most people do it for the extra noise). And any power you lose down low is gained up high, so realistically all you are doing is shifting your power band. So that common misconception is just that, a misconception.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a 3 inch and it is the cause of added drone ..Plus no noticeable power gain .
But most use it because 2.75 is actually not that popular of a size .
3 inch is over kill in NO flow ratings for our V6 also .
I have tryed several different mufflers also .
BORLA uses stock 2.75 and there systems have very none .

Reactions: G2SKIER

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't have a truck. Yet. Looking to buy one in Spring of 2018. A Cat-back Exhaust option is available on my Chevrolet Canada's Build and Price page. Its a $1605 CDN option, installed.
If you were to make an educated guess, how much would they end up charging for the system? By the time I paid the exchange rate, duties, and shipping, it probably wouldn't be worth it.
I see that you're in Michigan. I'm in Ontario. Maybe I'd just drive across the border and get it installed, and drive back with a better sounding truck.

I'd also question whether or not their system would offer any benefits over GM's own cat-back system...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Send a system out here! I'll test it out

·
Registered
150 Posts
Your vid sounds good. If they make a twin tip stainless bolt on system I'd buy one.

·
Registered
428 Posts
A Old School Good turbo muffler.
And yes 3 " piping is to big , part throttle drone.
I have a 3 " Gibson and changed the muffler out several times .

·
Registered
345 Posts
You could go 3” and keep the resonator. Should keep most drone out. Honestly I’ve been happy with the stock sound. Only complaint is location for off road. But I would like to cut the bumper and relocate it through the bumper and keep it up close to the bed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.