Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as most of you regulars know, I haven't been on here much lately. Had some medical issues that have kind of gotten me down and uninterested in anything.

I knew I had a problem, but didn't realize how bad it was. I suffer from Obstructive Sleep Apnea. For those that don't know, my airway collapses during periods of sleep and it causes me to jerk myself awake in order to start breathing again. I didn't think it was terribly bad until I finally went to the doc and did the sleep study. That's where you go and get monitored while you try to sleep. After wiring me up with all kinds of monitors, it was determined that I stopped breathing, on the average, 61 times an hour.

So now I have this Bi-PAP machine and face mask that I have to wear at night. It creates enough pressure to keep my airway open while asleep. Because my issue is so severe, it's set pretty high. Feels like I have a leaf blower in my face all night. Naturally, this has been a problem in itself with trying to get used to it, and get used to the mask that I have to wear. More often than not, I wake up and yank it off halfway thru the night.

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem, and any advise to get used to the stinkin' mask??

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
My dad's got that. I call it his darth vader mask. He hates the thing, but it keeps him asleep. Next time I see him, I'll ask him how he adjusted to wearing it. I think it just takes some time to get used to it. Hope you feel better.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Don't have it, but I know alot about it. I'm a respiratory therapist, and bi-paping peeps is what I do for a living. Kudos to you for giving it a try!! We had to try one in school, and I give you alot of credit. A couple of things that may make it easier, depending on the machine you have:
1. Heated, humidified air
2. Ramping

PM me anytime and I will do the best I can to get you through this. It is important, as I'm sure your Dr. explained. Let me know the machine you have and your settings and we can see what we can figure out for you. Good luck!!

Signed,
your own personal on-line respiratory therapist :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi:

Sorry to hear about your problems with the mask; I've got sleep apnea also. The respiratory therapist made some good suggestions. I tried a couple of different style masks, and finally settled on nasal pillows (much more comfortable). Also, using a chin strap (to keep your mouth from dropping open as you sleep) helps alot and keeps the leaf blower effect to a minimum. It's just light piece of cloth with some velcro. Good luck.

dano

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello dan
I have apnea also, I used to wake up feeling feeling like i had a bad hangover every morning.I would wonder what the hell is wrong was me. Did the sleep study,I have been sleeping with the C-pap for 3 years now.It takes awhile to get use to the mask.I tried the nose pillow, but didn't like it.My Machine is also set high And made the nose pillow feel like I shoved the hose into my nose.I went back to the mask.My advice is to hang in there,play with the adjustable straps till feels comfortable with machine on.Try different masks with the machine on,It makes adifference with the fit.As opposed to a RT sticking a mask with no air ,on your face saying hows that feel.It wont be long and you will learn to sleep with your mouth shut (leaf Blower affect) and sleep like a baby. also my wife sleelps with me now , becuase my snoring use to keep her awake. sweet dreams

·
Registered
591 Posts
My primary care MD ran a sleep study program at the local hospital and tried to screen me in. One of the night custodians at another school in our district went on the program.

My wife swears I can snore with my eyes still open.

BTW... AB needs to bring Budman back! A superhero I can identify with.

·
Premium Member
15,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, people. This has been the most difficult thing for me to get used to. For example, I was able to keep it on until 04:30, night before last. But last night, I fought the thing until I gave up at 01:30 and pulled it off. It seems to go like that. One night, I'll do okay with it, then the next night I'm fighting it and pull it off.

itsagirltruck gave me some good advise, and a site to check out other masks. I can't wait to start really seeing the benefits that I'm always hearing about.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I fought the strap on masks and switched to the Breeze with nasal cushions and have never gone back.

One would think that for the price of medical equipment that they could make something that worked well.

Nah your sick you adapt to what we give you to use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts