Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking it would be cool to DIY a camera in the cargo light area. Would be nice to flip on a separate screen for to see your trailer load or even blind spot views! Anyone ever try routing any cable from the cargo light area down into the cab? I really don't want to screw up my headliner!! At a quick glance, everything in the back above the rear window looks really neat and sealed up!! I don't see any easy way to access it. I haven't looked underneath the cargo lamp area, but on a video it looked like it was wide open under the lens leading to the headliner!! Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
There are so many backup camera options out there, I am sure you could find something that would work. Just a quick glance and I would think one way is to find a small one, like on the tailgate. Then drill a hole above the brake light area in the cargo lamp. Mount it there, then it is just a lot of tedious work running the wiring back to the front of the truck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something like this might work, but you'd have to leave the cargo light circuit on, place the screen some place and do something about the red lens. Rather expensive also. I'm not seeing it as a good solution, but you asked for "any thoughts."

I was thinking something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083QV516P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That way there is only 1 wire to the camera. It gets power from the monitor. I guess my question was not worded well. What I was mostly curious is how to get the wiring through the cargo lamp area into the cab. It just looks like the headliner area is so tight and sealed up. Almost as if the headliner fabric is glued to the metal!! I really don't want to screw up the fabric.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are so many backup camera options out there, I am sure you could find something that would work. Just a quick glance and I would think one way is to find a small one, like on the tailgate. Then drill a hole above the brake light area in the cargo lamp. Mount it there, then it is just a lot of tedious work running the wiring back to the front of the truck.
That is what I am curious about, running the wires. The camera system I think I will use only needs one wire to the camera. The power comes from the monitor setup. So I just need one wire from the camera to the dash. Once I get below the back seats, it is no big deal. I put in a powered sub-woofer, and wiring to the front for that was really easy! I have to look a little more for some videos. The camera install/mount should be fairly easy, it is just getting the wire down into the cab from above that I am worried about!! Too bad there are no aftermarket camera/lens replacement products for the Colorado. I saw several for other truck models, just not one specifically for the Colorado!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think I seen somewhere they sell a camera cargo light together
I saw lots, but nothing for the Colorado that I could find. I really think the DIY mount is pretty simple since most of the cameras are super small. Should be an easy mount! Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I would look for a wireless system so that all the camera needs is a power connection, something that already exists at that location.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would look for a wireless system so that all the camera needs is a power connection, something that already exists at that location.
I was originally thinking that, but I had thought the transmitting module was large. After looking on Amazon, I found a wireless camera that has the transmitter in the camera. I will just have to find the hot wire within the cargo area!
Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I was originally thinking that, but I had thought the transmitting module was large. After looking on Amazon, I found a wireless camera that has the transmitter in the camera. I will just have to find the hot wire within the cargo area!
Thanks for the suggestion!
Why not just the cargo light, assuming it has one? You'd have to forego the cargo light, but I've never had mine on. Actually I'm not even certain it has one, but I think it does. I have a hard T-cover so it's sort of pointless if I do have one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why not just the cargo light, assuming it has one? You'd have to forego the cargo light, but I've never had mine on. Actually I'm not even certain it has one, but I think it does. I have a hard T-cover so it's sort of pointless if I do have one.
I will probably leave the light plugged in and just tap into the hot side. I haven't used mine either, but I will leave it so it still works just in case!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well I haven't looked at the wiring diagram for the cargo/third brake light, but i doubt there is constant power. Probably only on with switch or brake. There are threads that show how to loosen/access the headliner in that area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I haven't looked at the wiring diagram for the cargo/third brake light, but i doubt there is constant power. Probably only on with switch or brake. There are threads that show how to loosen/access the headliner in that area.
I would be ok to have to turn on light to get camera on. I really want it there to see trailer load. I have a smaller 10ft aluminum trailer and it is so low, I can never see anything on it while driving!! I will check out the headliner stuff as well. Thank You!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
What model year are you talking about? On my 2019 I can turn on the backup camera for a short period while in Drive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What model year are you talking about? On my 2019 I can turn on the backup camera for a short period while in Drive.
I have a 2020 WT extended cab. Super generic electronically speaking!! I do have the 7 inch infotainment with Android Auto. Not a whole lot of extras trim wise...LOL!! I will check to see if there are any camera options on the screen tonight after work on my way home!

·
Registered
16 Canyon SLT, V6, 4X4, Longbed, Cyber Metallic Gray
374 Posts
There are several diy options you can do.
I have seen some that use a small camera (no night vision or led) and drill the 3/8" ish hole in the 3rd brake light so they can easily backup to their gooseneck.

A camera that has a bolt on mount, attatch above or below the 3rd brake light with good double sided tape, and run the wires through the seal on the bottom of the 3rd brake light, put on good led lights on 3rd brake light and alittle silicone to the gasket for light

Just acouole ideas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So here is my final product!! I ended up just modifying the camera bracket and then using some JB epoxy to attach it to the cargo light lens. I may regret the epoxy if I every take it off (probably not possible) but I guess I can always get a new cargo light assembly (probably costs a fortune!!) I went ahead and loosened the rear corner plastic trim inside the cab and ran a fiberglass wire pulling pole throught the outside lens hole to the corner of the cab on the inside. I pulled a string through, and then attached the power and ground wire to the string and pulled it through. I ran the wires inside the trim down to the back seat. I have a powered compact subwoofer under the seat so I picked up the switched 12v and ground for the camera there. The dash monitor was quick and easy. I just used a small block of wood to raise the monitor above the dash plastic and mounted the wood with some double stick 3M stuff that came with the camera. Anyways the wireless cam works great and not more blind spots at all. It is very strange when you are looking at the backwards view in the camera view while you are driving. I will say it is pretty awesome to see all around the truck though. I am very pleased with the result!!

·
Registered
16 Canyon SLT, V6, 4X4, Longbed, Cyber Metallic Gray
374 Posts
Gj.
On some of the bigger work trucks, like freightliner grapple truck, I mounted the camera around 7' up, can see everything, and came in really handy seeing where bumpers wher at so I could merge.

Does that monitor have quick touch buttons to adjust brightness ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts