Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • Truck seat covers are up to 76% off right now on eBay. Click here for Black! Tan! Multi-coloured! even Camo!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2022 WT, 4WD, and am in NH - not the snowiest place on earth but it's a guarantee she will see some action.

Looking at the front bumper I'm wondering what is going to happen when I push through that 3 foot snowbank at the end of the driveway. My equinox seems to have dealt w/ it OK, but that's my only experience w/ a plastic bumper and AWD/4WD where I end up doing stuff like that. I have had a bunch of other trucks including an '06 Canyon but those had metal bumpers, and my '06 Canyon eventually lost basically all the plastic below the metal bumper (although that wasn't snow banks - small object related stuff, but it's plastic was more limited & tougher).

Going to do a ~2 inch level. Researching here/there/everywhere I'm becoming hopeful I can run 255/75/17's when I upgrade the tires to gain a little clearance too, also ought to be helpful.

I have a distaste for brush guards - things almost do more damage. But I'm considering maybe a bull bar w/ an integrated skid plate as I feel like being narrow the structure has some integrity and that should help hit first, punch a hole, and float the front end up, reduce the force the plastic has to take etc.. etc.. Anyone have an opinion on that? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
16'Trailboss edition-K&Ncai-DirtKing ucas-Peak2.0coilovers-GM performance exhaust-SupermodulationTB-
1,069 Posts
I've got a 2022 WT, 4WD, and am in NH - not the snowiest place on earth but it's a guarantee she will see some action.

Looking at the front bumper I'm wondering what is going to happen when I push through that 3 foot snowbank at the end of the driveway. My equinox seems to have dealt w/ it OK, but that's my only experience w/ a plastic bumper and AWD/4WD where I end up doing stuff like that. I have had a bunch of other trucks including an '06 Canyon but those had metal bumpers, and my '06 Canyon eventually lost basically all the plastic below the metal bumper (although that wasn't snow banks - small object related stuff, but it's plastic was more limited & tougher).

Going to do a ~2 inch level. Researching here/there/everywhere I'm becoming hopeful I can run 255/75/17's when I upgrade the tires to gain a little clearance too, also ought to be helpful.

I have a distaste for brush guards - things almost do more damage. But I'm considering maybe a bull bar w/ an integrated skid plate as I feel like being narrow the structure has some integrity and that should help hit first, punch a hole, and float the front end up, reduce the force the plastic has to take etc.. etc.. Anyone have an opinion on that? Thanks in advance!
Why would you hit a 3 foot snowbank in a little zr2? If you hit those without some kind of extraction gear or plating youll be calling a tow truck most nine times outta ten. These trucks aint as awesome as chevy says. Your bumper and grill have lots of plastic

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would you hit a 3 foot snowbank in a little zr2? If you hit those without some kind of extraction gear or plating youll be calling a tow truck most nine times outta ten. These trucks aint as awesome as chevy says. Your bumper and grill have lots of plastic
Huh? Where you from?

Basically what happens is you show up after being gone for the day and a snow bank is between you & home, so you drive through it to get down the driveway. Pretty standard stuff here.

You don't actually have to drive through 3 feet of snow - just punch through a short section of it using momentum at slow speed. My mom in her 70s does this sorta stuff, isn't radical :)

My 2006 would go through 2 feet of wet snow if it had reasonable AT tires, like stop if you want, nothing tricky to get rolling again. Isn't any reason my 2022 (which isn't a ZR2 but same drive train as my '06, 4x4 and locking rear) can't do the same. I'm just wondering how flimsy (or not) these bumpers have proven to be and if i should be trying to mitigate that.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I can tell you it will crack the plastics. Example the air dam will crack and on my canyon the center chrome section got cracked just hitting a small snow bank. Now if it’s fluffy snow and lite. You maybe ok but ice bank and heavy probably not.

one day I will get my new metal center bumper installed.

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts

I've pushed some small 4" trees over with my ARB bullbar. That bullbar with the front kuafu aluminum skid + AEV skids is pretty streamlined.

·
Registered
16'Trailboss edition-K&Ncai-DirtKing ucas-Peak2.0coilovers-GM performance exhaust-SupermodulationTB-
1,069 Posts
I've pushed some small 4" trees over with my ARB bullbar. That bullbar with the front kuafu aluminum skid + AEV skids is pretty streamlined.
Again, you and I use our vehicles differently. We also have steel added to our vehicles. I can attest to snow cracking our plastics. I also think that you and i dont go smashing into 3 foot snowbanks. I did when i was 17 and drinking and driving like a moron at the same time. We used to stick our beers in huge snowbanks from the chicago cta would pile round the L lifts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

I think you should check out the ARB front bumper with the big grill guard. Its the one i wanted, but i didnt want to wait as long as it was during cobid 95 lol

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel 4X4. Summit White, Cocoa/Dark Atmosphere, Black wheel package
479 Posts
I’ve owned full sized 4X4 trucks of different makes and models from 1977 until now. Some had brush guards, grill guards, bull bars and some did not. If you’re determined to drive through ”snowplow pile up” left in front of your driveway there is only one piece of equipment guaranteed to prevent you from damaging your truck….
Wood Metal Musical instrument Artifact Tool
Wood Metal Musical instrument Artifact Tool

Reactions: AEONFLUX

·
Registered
11,725 Posts
The weather forecast through the weekend where I am living was very optimistic - we shouldn't break a 100 deg F during this period. Hard to think about snow. Can you send us a foot or two this weekend? I have no plans.

Granted, we have had 2 snow/ice events in the last 2 years, there was that Super Bowl that year, and then there was the Cobblestone Ice Event.

Water Water resources Sky Automotive lighting Street light

Reactions: Abe17ZR2

·
Registered
646 Posts
We have hundreds of banks in Texas and average 1/10" per year of snow. I guess a "snowbank" is where you save extra snow? Why would you drive into one of those buildings and ruin your bumper?

·
Registered
758 Posts
The weather forecast through the weekend where I am living was very optimistic - we shouldn't break a 100 deg F during this period. Hard to think about snow. Can you send us a foot or two this weekend? I have no plans.

Granted, we have had 2 snow/ice events in the last 2 years, there was that Super Bowl that year,
Everybody in Pittsburgh remembers that! :cry:

·
Registered
11,725 Posts
That was my favorite zr2 btw
Thanks,
I still have it, don't want to get rid of it. Too many sentimental feelings! :)
I would say, that was also a favorite of mine. I liked the look of it, although proportionally, I preferred the Extended Cab model. Never had one, but just thought they were a good looking truck.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
I get more snow than most and never had damage due to snow.

Even in my car with a low air dam. If it is frozen enough to do damage you stop or drive around it. I have pushed fresh snow tith air dams and never damaged or broke one.

Like curbs know your limits.

·
Registered
2022 Colorado Z71 Trail Boss CCSB Dressed in Crush
45 Posts
If it is that sketchy back in. I push snow with my trucks every storm. If you live in snow country you learn quickly what will damage your truck. It's gotta be an old icy snow bank to damage your truck just pulling in off the street. I live in Northern NH and work on the side of Mt. Washington. Am gone typically 12 hours a day. Maybe once every 5 years I might have to clear a bank before I pull into my driveway. Your truck is not that fragile, just use your head and it will be fine. I think the last time I saw a 3 foot fresh snow bank was last day of hunting season 2003.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I get more snow than most and never had damage due to snow.

Even in my car with a low air dam. If it is frozen enough to do damage you stop or drive around it. I have pushed fresh snow tith air dams and never damaged or broke one.

Like curbs know your limits.
If it is that sketchy back in. I push snow with my trucks every storm. If you live in snow country you learn quickly what will damage your truck. It's gotta be an old icy snow bank to damage your truck just pulling in off the street. I live in Northern NH and work on the side of Mt. Washington. Am gone typically 12 hours a day. Maybe once every 5 years I might have to clear a bank before I pull into my driveway. Your truck is not that fragile, just use your head and it will be fine. I think the last time I saw a 3 foot fresh snow bank was last day of hunting season 2003.
Cool, thanks guys - that answers my question. Was just trying to figure out literally if anyone has had problems w/ the bumper being plastic and ripping off.

I tend to operate under the assumption 4wd with good tires, today's or last nights snow bank, you can push through it. Really never have had to do different or seen damage as a result but I do use common sense, backing in is a good idea!.. My strategy to date when it's tall is I poke in slow taking my foot off the gas and let the truck stop in it, back out, repeat, eventually I'm confident I can go for it and can't remember ever getting stuck. I currently live on a 2 lane stretch of road with a small median - 1 ft of snow if I'm not plowed out yet is 3 feet at the entrance, just how it goes, but it's never frozen, nor would I try going through something frozen (durr).

·
Registered
2017 ZR2 V6 gas
463 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts