Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was wondering if anyone on here has the I4 and put 35's on and if so how hard is it on ur engine and if u had to do any mods to ur engine for it. anyone got any input that would be great thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have 34" tires with a 4" Lift and the old 3.5 I5. I can feel a little difference now but of course it hasnt been above -30 since I got it all complete. It just take a little longer to get up to speed. did you have any trouble with tires rubbing?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a little bit of rubbign with my 32's but my biggest concern was that with 34's or 35's i would really screw up either my engine or gears, and i would have a hard to geting good acceleration when i need it.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Your acceleration will definitely suffer. Your drivability will as well. What I mean by that is that your transmission (assuming you have an auto) will be constantly shifting at cruising speeds because your engine RPM will be too low to generate sufficient torque to hold the gear. I'm rolling on 33's with the I5 and at 70 MPH the slightest incline will make it shift out of OD. Consequently, I usually run the freeways in 3rd instead of OD. GEARS are the solution. I just havent been able to spend the money on them yet. The complicating problem for you will be the lack of availability of gears lower than 4.10s. For 35s you'll want something lower, especially with an I4. I'd say 4.88s, only (as far as I know) they're not available yet. I'm not saying you couldn't do it, but, yes, it will cause you problems and I don't think you'll ever be satisfied with it.

I think a guy called Shotgunsalute has 35's on his, but I don't know if he has a 4 or 5. There also used to be a guy in the south, maybe FLA or AL who had a Forrest Green truck on 35's. As I recall, he was one of the first ones on here with very much lift. The other thing about 35s is that they're almost sure to rub, and probably pretty heavily. I know with the Rancho 4" and the PA 3" I still have the occasional rub with my setup and when I was up in the Sierras this Summer, even the rears rubbed on the inner fender wells when the truck was really flexed.

Just some food for thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts