Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 gmc canyon 2.5L manual transmission. I wanted to know if anybody has a 2nd manual transmission and what your thoughts are on it. Ive gotten used to driving it now but it still seems kinda rough shifting and a bit lagging but Im not sure if thats just how a truck transmission is supposed to feel or if it was designed on the low end. Before I got the truck I drove a basic hatchback manual transmission.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I have the Colorado 2.5l (actually 150 ci) with manual transmission, also 2016. I like it fine. I don't know what you mean by "rough" shifting. Mine seems tight and precise. I also don't know what you mean by "lagging." It goes into gear when you put it there.

I had a sporty hatchback with a stick once -- an Isuzu Impulse. I don't drive my truck the same as I did my Impulse. My shifts are slower and more deliberate between gears. I let the stick find its home position before making the shift into the next gear. It bugs me that my wife doesn't quite get it.

I once drove trucks with those long sticks that were somewhat loose -- not sporty at all. Our shifter is shorter and tighter, but I still prefer to drive it like a truck, not a sports car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Im probably still not used to the feel of the transmission/shifting due to my 4 plus years of driving the hatchback. I think I just had a high performance transmission on my hatchback and was somewhat spoiled with the ease of shifting. Im guessing my use of the words "rough" and "lagging" is my driving and basically just comes down to having to improve my shifting and take it slower. Also that this transmission is just fine as it is. Glad to hear that someone out there is still driving stick. Its a rare occurrence these days.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a 16 colorado with a manual. I did not like it at first, but I have gotten used to it after a year and 18k miles.

From having an S10 before, I have noticed that it will not let you float the gears as easy as an older transmission (maybe the computer or else a higher powerband due to the higher RPMs that you have). I believe only in using clutches for stopping and starting. My S10 had 230k on the original engine and clutch when I traded it in.

As for shifting, it is not a short throw like a Mazda Miata, but it is also not a very long throw like an old 70s-90s trucks where you are reaching half way across the cab for 5th gear. The clutch pedal is very light and weird to get used to at first. It seems to be more geared as a truck, and can get 30 mpg on the highway on long trips if you keep it at 55 and in 6th gear.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I never use 6th gear below 60 mph, unless I'm going downhill. I only rarely go 65 or more, so seldom use 6th gear at all. My best mileage for 50 miles, not counting coming down the west side of the Rockies, was on a country road using mostly 3rd and 4th gears at 25 to 40 mph.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I definitely agree that I was a little off put by the transmission when I got it, but agree it does take some time getting used to. Very true about floating the gears. Cant do it like an older transmission.

·
Registered
968 Posts
My S10 had 230k on the original engine and clutch when I traded it in.
Bet your synchros didn't look so hot. Clutches (and synchros) are defined as replaceable wear-items for a reason.

This subject always reminds me of the "downshift to slow down" thing. Brake pads are cheap. Use them.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
915 Posts
MV10, I agree. I've had a lot of clutch jobs, but I've never had to replace a transmission. Wanting to float strikes me as pretending that one is a real trucker. A long haul heavy trucker with a 12-speed (or whatever) manual is in a different situation. He works hard all day working his shifter to get up and down hills, so floating saves significant effort, and he has time to become completely familiar with the transmission.

I would never try to shift into gear without the clutch, but there is one thing I do: when coasting in to a stop sign, I will sometimes shift to neutral without the clutch. I hold the lever gently so I can feel when load comes off the gears, then pop it out of gear easily.

·
Registered
968 Posts
MV10, I agree. I've had a lot of clutch jobs, but I've never had to replace a transmission. Wanting to float strikes me as pretending that one is a real trucker. A long haul heavy trucker with a 12-speed (or whatever) manual is in a different situation. He works hard all day working his shifter to get up and down hills, so floating saves significant effort, and he has time to become completely familiar with the transmission.
Heavy trucks also don't have synchros...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Bet your synchros didn't look so hot. Clutches (and synchros) are defined as replaceable wear-items for a reason.

This subject always reminds me of the "downshift to slow down" thing. Brake pads are cheap. Use them.
Eh, I had no problems with it. Shifted fine for every gear even at high mileage. Although, it was a lot less computers involved with the transmission. My dodge stick is the same way. Lost the clutch lines from header heat and saved the day with the floating of the gears.

As long as there isn't constant grinding, I think you are fine. It is all about being in tune with the transmission.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.