Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching the forum and was not able to really find much regarding this so I thought I would post a question. I am starting to look at getting a new vehicle and was interested in the Colorado/Canyon models, I know GM has been pushing for the Auto Idle Start/Stop technology on their vehicles and was wondering if any of them have this feature. I am not a fan of it and it was the main reason we did not get an new Equinox this year for my wife because it had it and did not have a button to disable it. I did find in another post that the 2017 apparently doesn't have it but wasn't sure on any of the other years especially the newer ones. I appreciate any feedback you can give. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
No.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I think I heard the 3.0 Duramax in the Silverado has start/stop, but the Colorado does not. The V6 may have cylinder deactivation--not certain of that either (I own the 2.8 Duramax).

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think I heard the 3.0 Duramax in the Silverado has start/stop, but the Colorado does not. The V6 may have cylinder deactivation--not certain of that either (I own the 2.8 Duramax).
The v6 does have the cylinder deactivation. Although it doesn't really come on that often spending in how you drive or course (plenty of discussion on other threads about that).

And yes no start stop on these trucks.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm not positive but think awhile back my son in law said his new 2019 GMC full size truck has it but it can be turned off. But you have to turn it off every time after you start truck. Don't hold me to it. I'm not positive he said that.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Auto Stop/Start is the 2nd. worse idea for cars and trucks (the 1st. was the feature where the seat belts had to be fastened before the car would start).

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
This is the design difference between the LGZ and the LGX. LGX has start/stop, which is in the Camaro, Traverse, and others equipped.
The LGZ has AFM, deactivating 2 cylinders under specific mystery conditions. It cannot be turned off manually, only a tune can do so.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is the design difference between the LGZ and the LGX. LGX has start/stop, which is in the Camaro, Traverse, and others equipped.
The LGZ has AFM, deactivating 2 cylinders under specific mystery conditions. It cannot be turned off manually, only a tune can do so.
Minor correction, not that it really matters other than FYI, but the Traverse has the LFY, not an LGX/Y. Not sure why GM stuck with the older platform 3.6 for a new '18 Traverse, but their logic doesn't often make sense to me...

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
There is an aftermarket, LEAD FOOT ADAPTER, that will insure the cylinder deactivation never works.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
There is an aftermarket, LEAD FOOT ADAPTER, that will insure the cylinder deactivation never works.
I was just killing the hearsay about a factory built in deactivation switch. Yeah, tunes, and non-warranty killing OBD plug in modules like the Range and Lead Foot Adapter are available that fill the bill.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I tried searching the forum and was not able to really find much regarding this so I thought I would post a question. I am starting to look at getting a new vehicle and was interested in the Colorado/Canyon models, I know GM has been pushing for the Auto Idle Start/Stop technology on their vehicles and was wondering if any of them have this feature. I am not a fan of it and it was the main reason we did not get an new Equinox this year for my wife because it had it and did not have a button to disable it. I did find in another post that the 2017 apparently doesn't have it but wasn't sure on any of the other years especially the newer ones. I appreciate any feedback you can give. Thanks in advance.
You can disable the feature that feature in an Equinox in the driver information center. We too are looking for that type of vehicle for my wife and didn't care for the Equinox because it was pricey like the so called imports. We decided on the 2020 Ford Escape. It's a redesign over the 2019 model and it offers much more than the Equinox, the Kia/Hyundai offerings, Toyota CHR, etc.at a lower price point. .

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
The Equinox has a button to turn it off, but you have to press it every time you start it.
Our Grand Cherokee has it, I use to turn it off as soon as I started it. Now I do not even notice it, which is kind of what my brother said on his F-150.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Equinox has a button to turn it off, but you have to press it every time you start it.
Our Grand Cherokee has it, I use to turn it off as soon as I started it. Now I do not even notice it, which is kind of what my brother said on his F-150.
Okay it may have the the Cruze hatchback the allows you to turn it off in the DIC. We also looked at one of those but it's a bit too small for our needs.

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
Perhaps a better question is, which mid-size trucks today incorporate the stop/start technology?

Didn't I see that both the Ford Ranger and Gladiator include stop/start technology?

Also, and this may be my old, feeble mind at work, I would think that diesels would not find stop/start technology to be kind to them, worse than on a gasser engine.

Note: it isn't start/stop technology, it is STOP/START technology. The engine is running, then it STOPS, and STARTS up again.

I have to admit, for as popular as this seems to be with the manufacturers, I doubt I have heard a half a dozen vehicles stop & then start up since I heard about it.

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
I've never had a car with a start/stop feature. At the risk of poking a bear, what's so bad about it?
Wear and tear on starter and battery, and just aggravating.

I still argue that half of the delays I see waiting at a stupid traffic light are from stop/start feature. Sure, it's only a split second to restart the engine, but that is still time. Stack 10 cars in a row, each with a delay, and now the traffic is really slowed.

And hey,. poke that bear, with global warming they will not be hibernating soon according to budding environmentalist.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm not positive but think awhile back my son in law said his new 2019 GMC full size truck has it but it can be turned off. But you have to turn it off every time after you start truck. Don't hold me to it. I'm not positive he said that.
You are correct, my neighbors 2019 Silverado does that and that's the one thing he doesn't like, he wants to be able to turn it off permanently.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Wait, there's a mystery about when cylinder deactivation turns on??? It's low load, small throttle, steady state conditions, when the engine is warmed up like clockwork.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You are correct, my neighbors 2019 Silverado does that and that's the one thing he doesn't like, he wants to be able to turn it off permanently.
I would be doing this if my vehicle had the start/stop:

ETA: I also remember seeing a video of someone taking the dash apart to get to the button, and the switch was just a open/close circuit, so if you just made the connection permanent, then it would never engage. Equally important is that you can disable this "mod" and return to stock if you ever have problems with the car and need to send it in for warranty work.

·
Registered
85 Posts
We have a 19 equinox and there is no button to turn off the auto start stop. I wish there was I cant stand it. If we go somewhere together we take the Bison.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts