Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to know what tune you are using and your impressions. Also how much weight your towing and what gear and rpm at say 65mph. Just trying to decide if it's worth it. Right now I'm pulling a 5k travel trailer at 70 mph mainly in 4th gear at 3000rpms. But I would like to get it to pull in 5th at about 2300rpm would be great. I was wondering if a tune will get me there

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I towed quite a bit with my 2015 Canyon with the Trifecta Elite tune. It made it difference from when my truck was stock. The tune specifically helped the transmission stay in the right gear while I was telling. It also had a little more power to get off the line when pulling a trailer. I do have larger tires than stock, so I think the tune would have had an even better effect if I was on the original sized tires.

I am still running a tune, but it is a custom tune that I had made for my supercharger set up. The supercharger really made a huge difference while towing. Duh, lol.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I tow my 16' enclosed trailer at about 5k. BNR tune. No issues on the highway in M5. Runs about 2800 rpm at 75mph. Obviously downshifts to pass or going up hill but will stay in 5th most of the time.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I towed quite a bit with my 2015 Canyon with the Trifecta Elite tune. It made it difference from when my truck was stock. The tune specifically helped the transmission stay in the right gear while I was telling. It also had a little more power to get off the line when pulling a trailer. I do have larger tires than stock, so I think the tune would have had an even better effect if I was on the original sized tires.

I am still running a tune, but it is a custom tune that I had made for my supercharger set up. The supercharger really made a huge difference while towing. Duh, lol.
Thanks for me the supercharger is a little overkill. I feel like if I could get 20 or 30 more pounds of torque to come in at 2k rpm's it could hold 5th gear at hiway speeds which will save me on gas mileage. I am trying to lower rpm's

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't know how much better your going to do on mpg. We just did a 400+ mile round trip run up to the Catskills loaded up, including 4 adults and a bed full of luggage and coolers with the trailer loaded. We averaged right at 11mpg round trip. Most highway driving was 70-75mph driving.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a trip from north nj to Binghampton and back got 11.5 on way up and with crappy gas 9.8 on way back. Just went to Michigan race 1200 miles round trip. 10.6 mpg both ways but I used 93 octane on this one and it towed much better the the crappy gas anyway. Iam running 65 to 70mph trailer about 4750, 350 in truck then my wife and I. I was about 250 lb heavier on the Michigan run(Generator and gas). If a tune can yield say 12+ mpg's on a 1000 mile trip it will make a difference and I like to travel to different race tracks all over.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I towed quite a bit with my 2015 Canyon with the Trifecta Elite tune. It made it different from when my truck was stock. The tune specifically helped the transmission stay in the right gear while I was telling. It also had a little more power to get off the line when pulling a trailer. I do have larger tires than stock, so I think the tune would have had an even better effect if I was on the original sized tires.

I am towing a Heartland Wildnerss 2750rl 5,539 lbs dry.

At 65 on flat land, I can get it into 5th gear with a tailwind. Normally it stays in 4th gear just under 3k for 65 mph.

I have the Trifecta advantage + tune. It made a world of difference when I tow. Like Matt said it stays in the correct gear longer. It allows me to get up to highway speeds much faster. Over all using the Trifecta tune locking it in 5th and using tow haul mode is how I run now all the time while towing.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am towing a Heartland Wildnerss 2750rl 5,539 lbs dry.

At 65 on flat land, I can get it into 5th gear with a tailwind. Normally it stays in 4th gear just under 3k for 65 mph.

I have the Trifecta advantage + tune. It made a world of difference when I tow. Like Matt said it stays in the correct gear longer. It allows me to get up to highway speeds much faster. Over all using the Trifecta tune locking it in 5th and using tow haul mode is how I run now all the time while towing.
Your still in 4th gear even with a tune? That is exactly where I'am stock, mainly 4th gear and 5th it I get the slightest downgrade.
Thanks

·
Registered
456 Posts
Your still in 4th gear even with a tune? That is exactly where I'am stock, mainly 4th gear and 5th it I get the slightest downgrade.

Thanks

A tune is not going to make that big of a difference in performance. If you want that get a full size with a v8 or add a supercharger to the Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A tune is not going to make that big of a difference in performance. If you want that get a full size with a v8 or add a supercharger to the Colorado.

Yeah looked into what numbers the v8 are getting and its not much better rpm wise or mileage wise with a 5.3. then if you go 6.2 you loose your commuting mpgs. I cant see paying 10k more for something that is not much better. The way tuners talk about bringing more torque down low i thought it might make a difference. Thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yeah looked into what numbers the v8 are getting and its not much better rpm wise or mileage wise with a 5.3. then if you go 6.2 you loose your commuting mpgs. I cant see paying 10k more for something that is not much better. The way tuners talk about bringing more torque down low i thought it might make a difference. Thanks
That is true. We have towed my same trailer/load with my best friends 17' Silverado 5.3 and see 14mpg. It does stay in top gear better though without locking it into manual. That is also the 8spd trans.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ford is supposed to be coming out with a v6 power stroke for the f150 next model year. With Chevy close on its heals. Or look at the Dodge half ton with their ecodiesel. I've not heard anything bad about them.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I contacted BNR and didn't get a response yet,2 days. I wonder if a 3.73 gear would be the ticket. 3.42 now. But then I would still need a tune to change speedometer

·
Registered
128 Posts
3.73's would probably be just what these truck's need to tow better,also help folk's running bigger tire's as well. 3.73 & 4.10's would be good options to have. Only problem is if you have a 4x4 I don't think there is any after market gear sets for the front axle at this time.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
3.73's would probably be just what these truck's need to tow better,also help folk's running bigger tire's as well. 3.73 & 4.10's would be good options to have. Only problem is if you have a 4x4 I don't think there is any after market gear sets for the front axle at this time.
I think they are available. It's a DANA diff just have to know what you are looking for looks like Spicer has all the DANA stuff. just cannot figure out which one so many varieties. The Canyon V6 4x4 has DANA M220 IFS in rear and DANA M200 IFS front. Yukon axle has the front as a 7.875 ring diameter which I cannot find. The rear is a common 8.6
DANA Aftermarket
https://www.yukongear.com/diffdetai...3&Type=Dana&DiffID=353&DiffName=Dana+M200+IFS

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think they are available. It's a DANA diff just have to know what you are looking for looks like Spicer has all the DANA stuff. just cannot figure out which one so many varieties. The Canyon V6 4x4 has DANA M220 IFS in rear and DANA M200 IFS front. Yukon axle has the front as a 7.875 ring diameter which I cannot find. The rear is a common 8.6
DANA Aftermarket
https://www.yukongear.com/diffdetai...3&Type=Dana&DiffID=353&DiffName=Dana+M200+IFS
If you find something please post it. Last I checked with Randy's Ring & Pinion and East Coast Gear they didn't have any gear set's for the front axle. The guy at Randy's said he didn't know of anybody working on them either. That was about 10 months ago.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have the BNR tune and when I purchased it I specifically asked for him to make it hold 5th gear when I'm towing. I tow 2 side by sides on a utility trailer pretty often, usually on the same route. Its between 3500-4000 lbs total and before I was getting around 13 mpg. After the tune I'm getting 15 mpg. This is running right at 70 mph on fairly flat ground. Not sure exactly what the rpms are running at. I think I could do better if I baby it a little more. All around the tune made a nice difference.

I ran the Diablo generic tune for a few weeks while BNR built my tune and I noticed a nice difference from stock with it. However my transmission did not like the generic Diablo settings. It would shift really hard into 6th gear and the lag when accelerating at around 30 mph was worse than stock. When I loaded the BNR tune I immediately got better shifting, smoother acceleration and felt like it had more power. The only thing some people that are looking for more speed might not like with the way it's set up now, to hold the gear longer, is that it doesn't downshift quite as fast as it did stock. I'm very happy with the BNR tune though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.