Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anti-terror gear in ZR2(Updated with preparedness Gear pg4)

In light of the terror attacks in Spain what are you carrying? Here is my gear.

First is Rifle. IWI Tavor 18" barrel. Had to modify the under seat storage slightly. No modification needed if using 16" barrel Tavor.

Next is Trauma gear which you are most likely to use.

Next I have to find a spot to mount a pistol.

·
Registered
177 Posts
In light of the terror attacks in Spain what are you carrying? Here is my gear.

First is Rifle. IWI Tavor 18" barrel. Had to modify the under seat storage slightly. No modification needed if using 16" barrel Tavor.
Cars and trucks are just way to easy to break into for me to leave that kind of hardware in the truck all the time.

For me it's my CC choice of the day (depending on what I have on), first aid kit, tools, and recovery gear.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Great! Now I am hungry.

Cars and trucks are just way to easy to break into for me to leave that kind of hardware in the truck all the time.

For me it's my CC choice of the day (depending on what I have on), first aid kit, tools, and recovery gear.
Agreed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Reactions: RatRacer

·
Registered
155 Posts

LOL, yeah, no way I'm leaving all that tac gear in my truck.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Surprised you didn't mention the attack right down the road from you in Charlottesville, but you did mention the one that occurred overseas.

Anyway, I would never leave that much gear in my truck. I feel that the odds are higher of some nutjob breaking in, stealing my gear, and then shooting me, than of me morphing into Rambo and mowing down terrorists while I'm trying to load plywood at Home Depot.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
There are occasions I have to leave my handgun in the truck when I enter certain places. I'm looking at the locking vault now for short term storage.
I would never leave a firearm in a vehicle overnight.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
While I am not carrying (yet), it boggles my mind how someone can drive the distance the terrorist drove in Spain without being stopped. My wife and I were discussing it last night and commented that in Texas he would have been shot before he could drive that far.

Sadly, the terrorists, both foreign and domestic, have discovered an easy, readily available weapon to obtain that can inflict significant terror.

Many years ago, a police officer for a Neighborhood Watch group told our neighborhood to look to your left & right, and all of your neighbors that own a dog, to thank them, as this was the biggest deterrent to crime in the neighborhood. I tend to apply this to my friends with a CHL today, they present the biggest deterrent to terrorists who do not have a death wish. Terrorist with a death wish are not deterred, only confined or killed.

It is important to remain vigilant, stay aware of your surroundings. In this country, we are too lax in this regard. In Israel, every Israeli is keenly aware of everyone around them. They have seen so many terrorist, it is part of their life. My wife is always amazed how aware I seem to be in the most nonchalant circumstance. I will point out a person over their who is pale, a person in that corner acting suspicious, a car with a light out, an out of state license plate etc. Train yourself, and most importantly, train your kids so they can avoid dangerous circumstances.

I don't carry items for the Zombie Apocalypse, or to repel a special forces attack. But I think each of us should always have a first aid kit, a few water bottles, maybe a jacket, blanket, towel, and a few items like that. This may sound a bit cliche, but when something happens, the general population is going to look to the guys & gals driving trucks, yes, even the mid-size trucks, to be the people prepared to help out. Whether changing a flat for the little old lady, bandaging up a wounded person, or perhaps evacuating large numbers of people. Be prepared to hold up the proud flag of not only your country, but the flag of truck drivers everywhere.

·
Registered
177 Posts
While I am not carrying (yet), it boggles my mind how someone can drive the distance the terrorist drove in Spain without being stopped. My wife and I were discussing it last night and commented that in Texas he would have been shot before he could drive that far.

Sadly, the terrorists, both foreign and domestic, have discovered an easy, readily available weapon to obtain that can inflict significant terror.

Many years ago, a police officer for a Neighborhood Watch group told our neighborhood to look to your left & right, and all of your neighbors that own a dog, to thank them, as this was the biggest deterrent to crime in the neighborhood. I tend to apply this to my friends with a CHL today, they present the biggest deterrent to terrorists who do not have a death wish. Terrorist with a death wish are not deterred, only confined or killed.

It is important to remain vigilant, stay aware of your surroundings. In this country, we are too lax in this regard. In Israel, every Israeli is keenly aware of everyone around them. They have seen so many terrorist, it is part of their life. My wife is always amazed how aware I seem to be in the most nonchalant circumstance. I will point out a person over their who is pale, a person in that corner acting suspicious, a car with a light out, an out of state license plate etc. Train yourself, and most importantly, train your kids so they can avoid dangerous circumstances.

I don't carry items for the Zombie Apocalypse, or to repel a special forces attack. But I think each of us should always have a first aid kit, a few water bottles, maybe a jacket, blanket, towel, and a few items like that. This may sound a bit cliche, but when something happens, the general population is going to look to the guys & gals driving trucks, yes, even the mid-size trucks, to be the people prepared to help out. Whether changing a flat for the little old lady, bandaging up a wounded person, or perhaps evacuating large numbers of people. Be prepared to hold up the proud flag of not only your country, but the flag of truck drivers everywhere.
Well said, needed a mic drop smiley after that post.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Anyway, I would never leave that much gear in my truck. I feel that the odds are higher of some nutjob breaking in, stealing my gear, and then shooting me, than of me morphing into Rambo and mowing down terrorists while I'm trying to load plywood at Home Depot.

This is the reality of the situation. Most people have this commercially prepackaged masturbational fantasy that they could eliminate terrorist and it's just insane.

I would be willing to go out on a limb and say I shoot more than anyone else on the forum. My yearly average is about 45k shells a year between competition and bird hunting. I would argue I'm a good shot but not great. My lowest yearly average in competition was 93% and my highest 97%.

I can safely say all of that means jack when put in a high pressure life and death situation. I've had to defend myself with a firearm twice in my life. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. I only had to fire my gun on one of those two occasions when I was attacked by a 160 lbs dog. In that moment as a dog is on top of me gnawing on my hand and I'm screaming for my wife and kids to run for safety, you have to make sure everyone is clear from you before you fire your gun, think about ricochet, where you can shoot the dog, is the bullet going to travel through and what's beyond the dog, and so on...

That is just from a dog. Now you change out dog to terrorist and add in a ton of civilians, and not having any easy way to know who the target is or if they are a civilian. Screw those odds. Your best option is to flee and not try to be Rambo.

Tip of the cap to anyone over in the sandbox taking out terrorists. I have no idea how you don't assume every civilian on the street is a terrorist.

To answer the thread question, I don't carry anything for terrorist threats, but there is usually about 1k shotgun shells, several shotguns, and a K9 trauma kit that will get the job done if need be.

I personally would never long term store a gun under the seat like that. The ATF already hates me for all my tax stamp requests, having a class three item stolen would send them over the edge. If I were you, I would suggest a truckvault. I have one and love it. I use it to store some really nice shotguns. I've never worried about someone being able to break into it easily.

·
Registered
458 Posts
This is the reality of the situation. Most people have this commercially prepackaged masturbational fantasy that they could eliminate terrorist and it's just insane.

I would be willing to go out on a limb and say I shoot more than anyone else on the forum. My yearly average is about 45k shells a year between competition and bird hunting. I would argue I'm a good shot but not great. My lowest yearly average in competition was 93% and my highest 97%.

I can safely say all of that means jack when put in a high pressure life and death situation. I've had to defend myself with a firearm twice in my life. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. I only had to fire my gun on one of those two occasions when I was attacked by a 160 lbs dog. In that moment as a dog is on top of me gnawing on my hand and I'm screaming for my wife and kids to run for safety, you have to make sure everyone is clear from you before you fire your gun, think about ricochet, where you can shoot the dog, is the bullet going to travel through and what's beyond the dog, and so on...

That is just from a dog. Now you change out dog to terrorist and add in a ton of civilians, and not having any easy way to know who the target is or if they are a civilian. Screw those odds. Your best option is to flee and not try to be Rambo.

Tip of the cap to anyone over in the sandbox taking out terrorists. I have no idea how you don't assume every civilian on the street is a terrorist.

To answer the thread question, I don't carry anything for terrorist threats, but there is usually about 1k shotgun shells, several shotguns, and a K9 trauma kit that will get the job done if need be.

I personally would never long term store a gun under the seat like that. The ATF already hates me for all my tax stamp requests, having a class three item stolen would send them over the edge. If I were you, I would suggest a truckvault. I have one and love it. I use it to store some really nice shotguns. I've never worried about someone being able to break into it easily.

Nice & Love your hound!

Reactions: 442_mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well let me respond to some of the comments.

1. Mindset
You have to have your mind right. Are you the type of person that is willing to run in to the fire to help innocents and stop evil or are you going to be concerned only for yourself and run away? Are you willing to do whatever it takes to stop a threat, including dying? Not everyone is built the same. If you don't have the right mindset then don't bother but let the people that do take care of what needs to be taken care of.

2. Training
If you don't have training then get some. You are just a liability without training. However you can have all the training in the world but without the right mindset again don't bother.

3. Gear
You have to have it with you. I realize that the chances of me ever needing my rifle to stop a threat are slim to none but if I do need it and can get to it what good does it do me if I don't have it? I always have my EDC pistol with me but sometimes you need more. Like a fire extinguisher, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Also if you read in my original post I clearly state that trauma gear is way more likely to be used before anything else.

You need all three. I happen to have all three.

Next thing is about people that are worried someone will break in and steal it. Don't give a criminal a reason to break in. An earlier post someone stated that a sheriffs car was broken in to and guns were stolen. Well guess what, thieves know that there are likely to be guns in a sheriffs car. Be the gray man. Don't advertise anything. No NRA stickers or gun stickers of any kind. Keep everything hidden. Don't leave anything on the seats such as bags or packs. No cell phones left inside or tablets, laptops. Make it look empty inside when people look through your window and they won't have a reason to break in. Don't wear any clothing that advertises you are a gun guy. Be as nondescript as possible.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.