Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago for the first time i reset my trip odometer, and i got 98.5 km for the first quarter tank, it was filled to past the full line. It is winter here, and i have been in 4WD all the time. I do drive it. Hard, whenever i have the chance i floor it. Is this a reasonable fuel consumtion for the conditions?

·
Registered
112 Posts
thats iffy. With 4wd engaged all the time and driving it hard, I would still expect more miles out of it. If my calculation is correct, thats only 61 miles to a 1/4 tank. Not very good.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well im going to go fill up, today to a full tank, and then i will be able to tell exactly my lirtes per 100km and miles per gallon as i havnt reset my trip odo yet

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
It also depends on temperature and other factors.

Asking questions like this is akin to asking whether your truck will get better gas mileage by using Palmolive to wash your dishes instead of Dawn. There are so many factors that go into this that it's pretty hard to compare.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The temperature was between -17.7 celcius and 0.8 celcius. I am just wondering if it is normal for me to loose 36% of my milage that the window sticker says i should be getting, due to these conditions.(winter gas, winter temperatures, 4X4 all time, driving it hard) Or if i could have a bigger issue to look into.

·
Registered
718 Posts
You would have to explain more of the options you have with the truck. Examples as: is it a crew cab, what type/size of tires, motor size etc. etc. etc. Then you might get a better knowledge as to comparing gas mileage.

·
Registered
718 Posts
You can look at my trucks profile and add a 150lb bag of sand at the back. My gas mileage is also not very good right now either. The weather is just brutal -20 celcius to -30 celcius. I am getting about 115km for the first quarter tank. Mainly city stop and go traffic. Hope it gives you some measurement.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
kiprusoff said:
The temperature was between -17.7 celcius and 0.8 celcius. I am just wondering if it is normal for me to loose 36% of my milage that the window sticker says i should be getting, due to these conditions.(winter gas, winter temperatures, 4X4 all time, driving it hard) Or if i could have a bigger issue to look into.
You're flooring it frequently and in 4WD constantly and you don't expect that to have a huge effect on fuel economy? :shock:

Of course it has a large effect on fuel economy....and the BFGs aren't helping, either....you can pretty easily bet that they're heavier tires and have a worse rolling resistance than the stockers.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
kiprusoff said:
I never said i didnt expect this, i just wanted to make sure, there wasnt something wrong
Well, with being in 4WD constantly, flooring it frequently, and heavier and grippier tires, yes, your gas mileage should tank.

Nobody can say how much, because there's too many variables to be able to do a controlled test for it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
kiprusoff said:
A few days ago for the first time i reset my trip odometer, and i got 98.5 km for the first quarter tank, it was filled to past the full line. It is winter here, and i have been in 4WD all the time. I do drive it. Hard, whenever i have the chance i floor it. Is this a reasonable fuel consumtion for the conditions?
You drive your truck with the punk throttle and then wonder why gas mileage tanks. Priceless.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kiprusoff said:
I never said i didnt expect this, i just wanted to make sure, there wasnt something wrong
Like i have said before, i was just making sure my engine didn't have en efficiency problem, i am not an expert on this stuff, so i was checking to see if it is normal to lose this much efficiency.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts