Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Question, does this happen to non ZR2 trucks also? If not, why? Do the others even have the side curtain bags?

I think if I thought this would/could happen to me I would install a switch in the power to the fuse of the airbag system somewhere.

The way GM treated the OP is outragious too. $6k accidental f up whatever you want to call it, then blame it on him.....give me a break. Thats like front bags gonig off because you hit the brakes too hard but never hit anything. This is complete BS, a screwed up system, plain and simple. A holes....
$6k is what it cost to return it to factory, including the creased headliner just like in an accident, would you want them quoting you leaving some imperfections in it?

It isn't like the front bags, those go off on impact depending on the severity. Roll over bags have to go off other speculative settings and parameters that aren't hard set. If there is a load in the bed helping to pull down the roll might have happened in an unloaded truck but didn't in this situation and they would go off. There are so many factors, it can't be chalked up to one hard line. They aren't a-holes and it isn't a screwed up system as they have happened to all manufacturers.

Tyler

·
Registered
452 Posts

Either way this $6k to replace airbags is a bunch of BS. Does the airbag system in are trucks account for a third of the whole cost of the truck? Come on....
That's very common......$6K is actually cheap, a lot of vehicles in accidents are totaled out due mainly to the Airbags deploying.
My Father-in-Law just had an accident with his Chrysler 300.......not a real lot of damage, but the $10K in airbag replacement put it way over the top and the vehicle was totaled.

No wonder insurance rates are so high...... :surprise:

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Is this preventable by pulling a fuse?
Not so sure now but at least it used to be. Just like ABS, if any part of the system malfuctioned (no power is a good one, don't know how many fuses) then it shuts the whole thing down. For 6K I would take my chances off road with no bags. right?

Reactions: Tom S.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
That's very common......$6K is actually cheap, a lot of vehicles in accidents are totaled out due mainly to the Airbags deploying.
My Father-in-Law just had an accident with his Chrysler 300.......not a real lot of damage, but the $10K in airbag replacement put it way over the top and the vehicle was totaled.

No wonder insurance rates are so high...... :surprise:
Oh I know its common, just saying its BS. :serious:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Not so sure now but at least it used to be. Just like ABS, if any part of the system malfuctioned (no power is a good one, don't know how many fuses) then it shuts the whole thing down. For 6K I would take my chances off road with no bags. right?
Yes, in fact I was thinking if they were able to be turned off by pulling a fuse, it might be worth wiring up an on/off switch.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
$6k is what it cost to return it to factory, including the creased headliner just like in an accident, would you want them quoting you leaving some imperfections in it?

It isn't like the front bags, those go off on impact depending on the severity. Roll over bags have to go off other speculative settings and parameters that aren't hard set. If there is a load in the bed helping to pull down the roll might have happened in an unloaded truck but didn't in this situation and they would go off. There are so many factors, it can't be chalked up to one hard line. They aren't a-holes and it isn't a screwed up system as they have happened to all manufacturers.

Tyler
Why do side bags HAVE to go off on speculation and fronts don't? Thats my point. You can hit something head-on at 50MPH and that bag doesn't deploy until the impact happens, not just before, not on speculation, on impact. And it will most likely save your life.

I can't agree that its not a screwed up system just because other makers bags go off for no reason either. Isn't that the "but everyone is doing it" agument? Maybe its mandated by the goverment when they go off, I just don't think its right, thats all.

BUT, blaming a power wire off the battery or fuse box for the a $6k airbag diploy absolutly makes them A holes. It is possible the OP is making this stuff up I guess but with that info they should cover it under warranty. If they really blamed his power wire for this that is complete dishonesty and it is the reason mechanics and dealers/shops have a bad reputation. In lots of cases they deserve their reputation. I'm a retired tech, I hear about it all the time. Not just A holes really, criminals. Not all of course, but many. Gawd I'm getting old and cranky. lol

Don't want to argue, just agree to disagree I guess. Have a good one.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Why do side bags HAVE to go off on speculation and fronts don't? Thats my point. You can hit something head-on at 50MPH and that bag doesn't deploy until the impact happens, not just before, not on speculation, on impact. And it will most likely save your life.

I can't agree that its not a screwed up system just because other makers bags go off for no reason either. Isn't that the "but everyone is doing it" agument? Maybe its mandated by the goverment when they go off, I just don't think its right, thats all.

BUT, blaming a power wire off the battery or fuse box for the a $6k airbag diploy absolutly makes them A holes. It is possible the OP is making this stuff up I guess but with that info they should cover it under warranty. If they really blamed his power wire for this that is complete dishonesty and it is the reason mechanics and dealers/shops have a bad reputation. In lots of cases they deserve their reputation. I'm a retired tech, I hear about it all the time. Not just A holes really, criminals. Not all of course, but many. Gawd I'm getting old and cranky. lol

Front airbags can't speculate, they need to sense an impact via "hard data" from a sensor. Usually this is based on deceleration rates that far exceed a normal value. This normal also accounts, to a certain extent, for vehicle brake upgrades and the like. Front airbags can not function in an anticipatory manner due to the almost certainty that vehicular control will be lost. As we all know they have been mandated for 20 years.

Side airbags are not mandated, but are just about unavoidable to match current side impact performance standards. It is also a 'Keeping up with the Jones'' type, if Ford, Dodge, etc all have it you want to have it as well. While the actual parameters are going to be nigh on impossible to find, much less confirm, it should be understood that the side bags need to inflate much quicker than frontal airbags based on the available space. While a front bag has a recommended deployment area of at least 10" you can't find that much room between an occupant and the sides of the vehicle.

Combine that with the fact that the bags in the seat don't seem to be deployed (from what I can tell) means the vehicle was sensing an impending rollover based on pitch, yaw, speed, etc. While each case is different the data for these has to anticipate a roll in order to deploy in time to protect the occupants.

I do agree with many here, it should be turned off or de-sensitized when the Off Road driving mode is engaged (like the Tacos) but that doesn't alleviate the fact that the driver may not activate the driving mode and still run into this problem.

I am curious as to if this problem is limited to the ZR2 models or if it has been seen by anyone else with any other trim that has been lifted and/or similarly capable. There's a good chance that it isn't limited to the ZR2 as the system parameters are unlikely to be changed in one particular trim package but the other models aren't seeing the same conditions based on capability.

The dealer/GM's reasoning for denying the claim is extremely disappointing based on the information provided. None of those would (should?!) effect the SRS systems as they should be isolated for the sake of safety anyways. I know on previous vehicles the SRS systems were never paired with any other electronics.

·
Registered
712 Posts
https://youtu.be/qc1cX0abcJc?t=12s
Is this preventable by pulling a fuse?
I don't think so, there are capacitors that are also part of the system designed to deploy the airbags in the event of a system power loss resulting from a collision, from what I understand...

I've heard of people installing on/off switches for the passenger airbag, at least in the Jeep world, I wonder if the same thing can be done for the rest of them? I think some vehicles actually come equipped with a key switch for turning off the passenger airbag. I guess something for the serious off-roaders to look at...

Speaking of serious off roading, the worse part of this is you wouldn't think traversing a forest service road would be considered serious off-roading...

I guess it could be worse, though... Could be a "secure foam" system deploying over a speed bump.

https://youtu.be/qc1cX0abcJc?t=12s

·
Registered
4,487 Posts

Unless you wired something off the fuse for the airbags (or if they are controlled by a sensor, whatever fuse that sensor draws power from), I can't wee where the dealer or GM have a leg to stand on, and there is a law in your favor about modifications with aftermarket parts (Magnuson-Moss Act). It might require an attorney's involvement however. It certainly might be worth few hundred bucks it would cost to have an attorney write GM a letter to show that you are not going to let the matter drop.

I could speculate on why they went off far easier than the front bags would (and I think I have a pretty good idea why), but it would just that - speculation.

Good luck, I hope you can get them to fix it, even if they don't admit it's their fault - the "good will gesture" they've been known to make.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Wish they would implement something like Toyota has had for over a decade, roll-sensing curtain airbag switch. It's designed for this very reason.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

This was my thought but with the many lawsuits GM gets over many things the legal department may not be willing to sign off. Imagine if someone has a headline GM disables a safety item.

This is a real catch 22 anymore. They have gone air bag crazy and the lawyers make it so you can not use the vehicle as you should.

The deal on the LED back up lights is a real thing. GM just had this issue on the Acadia as they had changed the back up bulbs to LED. They then had some major systems issues. They have a notice out now to change them to the old style bulbs and it will fix the issue.

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/GM_TechLink_06_Mid-March_2018.pdf

The electrical systems in the new vehicles are ever so sensitive anymore. The 12 volt systems are way over taxed anymore and the things they have designed in can play havoc with many of the systems if the voltage goes off. It also is making it tougher on the aftermarket parts companies.

We should see more higher voltage systems in the near future to deal with this. VW and Lincoln already are using them.

You get a battery that shorts or starts to fail fast it can really make a car do some crazy things. I had that in a Pontiac as the battery was failing the systems all were shutting down at different times.

This whole deal just sucks!
Sorry to see you go through this!

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
This was my thought but with the many lawsuits GM gets over many things the legal department may not be willing to sign off. Imagine if someone has a headline GM disables a safety item.
It's a tad off topic as it's a different manufacturer but as there's sooooo much speculating on lawsuits in this thread already Ill replay-along.

As implement by Toyota the RCSA off button only:

1 defeats the side airbags from firing in a rollover situation only. It doesnt effect their operation in a side impact or the front collision airbags.
2 the user must press and hold the button for 3 seconds to activate, thus this cannot go on without the driver knowingly enabling it
3 the event data recorder will record that they were defeated intentionally
4 they are only defeated for that ignition on cycle - turning the engine off and back on automatically enables the side airbags normally again and the driver must then again choose to defeat them if desired.
5 there are plenty of warnings about using it in the owners manual

So there is plenty of legal safe guarding that can be put in place to appease legal teams and prevent people from unintentionally ruining their vehicles. :smile2:

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
It's a tad off topic as it's a different manufacturer but as there's sooooo much speculating on lawsuits in this thread already Ill replay-along.

As implement by Toyota the RCSA off button only:

1 defeats the side airbags from firing in a rollover situation only. It doesnt effect their operation in a side impact or the front collision airbags.
2 the user must press and hold the button for 3 seconds to activate, thus this cannot go on without the driver knowingly enabling it
3 the event data recorder will record that they were defeated intentionally
4 they are only defeated for that ignition on cycle - turning the engine off and back on automatically enables the side airbags normally again and the driver must then again choose to defeat them if desired.
5 there are plenty of warnings about using it in the owners manual

So there is plenty of legal safe guarding that can be put in place to appease legal teams and prevent people from unintentionally ruining their vehicles. :smile2:

Oh I agree with you fully on paper they could cover it. But the problem in this day and age you can be totally covered and still be taken to court and still face headlines that are not fair. The only way out is to pay a settlement to save the more expensive legal cost to win the case

It is legal black mail.

Just take a deep look at the ignition deal at GM. While there may have been a couple legit deals most were not. Drivers were drunk, on drugs and speeding died in an accident that if sober would have avoided the crash.

Them most also did not even have a belt on. Yet GM still got the negative headlines and they also had to pay out to keep the cost of the legal fees down.

It is sad till we have tort reform it be a problem even if you take all the precautions.

GM even when right still are cautious of any negative publicity too.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Soooo....GM is stating (at least on this case) that the ZR2 their supercool off-road “mid-sized Raptor” truck that people are paying through the nose for, should not be used off-road.

That or if it is used off road and the sideair bags deploy because they are too sensitive or faulty, GM will not cover the damage caused by their airbag system in the non-crash non-rollover deployment...

Sounds like GM needs to be put on blast for this BS...

Reactions: MV10 and White016

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The plot thickens and gets worse....

Besides the accessories I installed that they call "electrical modifications" one of the other reason GM gave for denying coverage was "damage" to the body... there was not damage to the body except a scratch on the underside of the bumper.
However today when I met my insurance rep at the dealer (60 miles away) we found this dent on the front corner panel.
When I dropped it off we did a walk around and there was no damage, the dealer has acknowledged this and is going to fix it. More time with my truck in the shop. Awesome.

BUT, if GM based part of their decision due to the damage that the dealer did for my claim then it changes things. Logic would support that a minor dent like this should not have had anything to do with the airbag deployment, but I'm obviously working with a company more interested in finding excuses not to help out a long time loyal customer.

I have called and left a message with my GM case dude, haven't heard back yet.

Nothing on this debacle seems to be easy or working in my favor.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
From Chevy Trucks on facebook in a message responding to me, after i have told them about the "damage" being admittedly done at the dealer.

Thanks for providing us with that additional information. We certainly understand how frustrating this situation must be for you and apologize for the inconvenience. Your continued loyalty is very important to us and we hope it continues for many more miles. As previously explained by your case agent, Anthony, no repair assistance will be provided by General Motors. It was advised that damage to your Colorado and aftermarket wiring may have had some impact in the deployment. It was suggested that you may want to file an insurance claim as well. We know this wasn’t the outcome you were hoping for, but we must stand behind this decision. If you have any additional questions regarding your case, feel free to contact Anthony at 1-866-790

·
Registered
36 Posts
That dent did NOT cause your bags to deploy. In fact, it’s nothing that any halfway decent PDR guy couldn’t remove in 15min.

GM is yanking your chain directly, and all of ours indirectly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow, it’s almost like two separate GM people wrote that reply to you, and no one even bothered to proofread it. It’s a Jeckyl and Hyde type of response.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Keep escalating this as they will say no to wear you down.

Some says no ask for their boss.

Also if needed to e mail someone at GM is easy to send if you have a name.

Normally it is first name.last [email protected]

Some will have a middle initial.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Sounds like it's time for ZR2 owners with these problems to file a class-action lawsuit against GM. It's a recurring theme on these trucks, especially for one that is touted to be "off-road" capable.

Reactions: Skywarner
21 - 40 of 152 Posts