Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at a number of these trucks online as well as looking through the sales brochures detailing options and such. For the years I've been looking at, 2016 through 2018, I've seen literature that seems to imply Android Auto is included on the base system but the upgraded 8" screen + Bose packages are Apple CarPlay only (of course now I can't find where I was looking at this). This was in an official sales brochure detailing the packages and options. That just doesn't sound right, what am I missing?

·
Registered
2017 GMC Canyon Denali
101 Posts
I've been looking at a number of these trucks online as well as looking through the sales brochures detailing options and such. For the years I've been looking at, 2016 through 2018, I've seen literature that seems to imply Android Auto is included on the base system but the upgraded 8" screen + Bose packages are Apple CarPlay only (of course now I can't find where I was looking at this). This was in an official sales brochure detailing the packages and options. That just doesn't sound right, what am I missing?
My '17 Denali has Bose and Android Auto.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
AA is available on 2016-up vehicles with either infotainment system, obviously not with the base AM/FM radio.

Reactions: skeptic

·
Registered
335 Posts
My 2016 Z71 with a build date sometime in May (5/2016) has Android Auto (and I believe Apple Car Play, never tested)

Reactions: skeptic

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. If I run across it again I'll post up just for fun, but it was weird and didn't make sense that they listed AA and carplay with the 7" screen and standard speakers but only carplay with the 8" screen and Bose speakers.

Either way, it sounds like if I get a '16 or newer LT/Z71/ZR2 it will have Android Auto.

·
Registered
16 Canyon SLT, V6, 4X4, Longbed, Cyber Metallic Gray
941 Posts
Early model 16 did not have Android auto, but the dealers told me that it was a free update for a 16 that did not have AA, 15 is a no go.
But what I was also looking for was a canyon slt that had the bose and larger screen.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2 3.6 v6 Midnight Edition with sports bar
218 Posts
Note that there is a caveat. It is not FULLY Android Auto via bluetooth, but it does the basics. Wired does a little more, but still not as full featured as the full size trucks.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Note that there is a caveat. It is not FULLY Android Auto via bluetooth, but it does the basics. Wired does a little more, but still not as full featured as the full size trucks.
??? I don't follow, not fully Android Auto? You mean it's not wireless Android Auto or are you saying even plugged in it's feature limited somehow?

·
Registered
75 Posts
??? I don't follow, not fully Android Auto? You mean it's not wireless Android Auto or are you saying even plugged in it's feature limited somehow?
On a 17 with the Bose system, Android Auto only works wired. You have limited non-Android auto functionality on bluetooth, that would be just phone calls (no music stream). Android Auto over bluetooth is relatively new and very few vehicles have it, those that do have limited functionality over wired, mainly because bluetooth does not have the bandwidth for the maps.

On another note, some of the limitations of Android auto are imposed by the applications themselves. Google restricts certain features for safety reasons. But for example, the very popular OnX Offroad app does not have Android auto capabilities.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Just to be excruciatingly clear:

AA is wired only in the twins but is not feature limited in any way.

Bluetooth connectivity, which has nothing to do with AA, works as expected for calls, audio, etc.

Wireless AA is not available on our trucks in any model year.

For 16s, check AA on each truck as it was added mid year.

AA can be added for those early 16s via a software update, but you'd need to ensure the dealer will do the update (for free).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: froyofanatic

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On a 17 with the Bose system, Android Auto only works wired. You have limited non-Android auto functionality on bluetooth, that would be just phone calls (no music stream). Android Auto over bluetooth is relatively new and very few vehicles have it, those that do have limited functionality over wired, mainly because bluetooth does not have the bandwidth for the maps.

On another note, some of the limitations of Android auto are imposed by the applications themselves. Google restricts certain features for safety reasons. But for example, the very popular OnX Offroad app does not have Android auto capabilities.
Just to be excruciatingly clear:

AA is wired only in the twins but is not feature limited in any way.

Bluetooth connectivity, which has nothing to do with AA, works as expected for calls, audio, etc.

Wireless AA is not available on our trucks in any model year.

For 16s, check AA on each truck as it was added mid year.

AA can be added for those early 16s via a software update, but you'd need to ensure the dealer will do the update (for free).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Ok great, this is what I expected. That post a few back confused me a bit.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts

INCORRECT
i have 16 canyon bose and fully functioning AA. uses usb wired and automatically turns on bluetooth. can use goog maps, any streaming radio/music app, weather, any AA listed app on play store etc. usable apps from your phone will show up on infotainment screen

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I think there's some confusion. AA works with Bose, but it only works with your phone plugged into a USB port. It does not connect via blue tooth, even though your phone and the radio have that capability. My phone connects via BT to make calls, but the radio unit will not run AA unless my phone is plugged into one of the USB ports. It would be nice if it would run via BT and perhaps it will happen in the future.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think Apple was a lot more aggressive in promoting Car Play than Google was with Android Auto back when they were first released. The C7 Corvette went on sale in 2014 and it didn't support AA until MY2015 or MY2016. I remember the aftermarket head unit I put in my Silverado back in 2015, I had to spring for one of the higher end units because those were the only ones that supported AA as it was still pretty new back then.

·
Registered
75 Posts
INCORRECT
i have 16 canyon bose and fully functioning AA. uses usb wired and automatically turns on bluetooth. can use goog maps, any streaming radio/music app, weather, any AA listed app on play store etc. usable apps from your phone will show up on infotainment screen
I have a 17. AA only works over
I think there's some confusion. AA works with Bose, but it only works with your phone plugged into a USB port. It does not connect via blue tooth, even though your phone and the radio have that capability. My phone connects via BT to make calls, but the radio unit will not run AA unless my phone is plugged into one of the USB ports. It would be nice if it would run via BT and perhaps it will happen in the future.
There are a few aftermarket radios that will do Android Auto and Apple Car Play over Bluetooth, They don't work very well. Bluetooth 4.2 supports a max bandwidth of 1MB/sec (700kbs in practice) Most OEM radios are still Bluetooth 2.x or 3.x, so less that bandwidth again. So Google maps does not work well because it requires significant bandwidth.

A few German cars have cars with Bluetooth Android Auto as well, but in the BMW example I saw, only certain Android auto features work over Bluetooth as they have disabled the ones that don't work, like Maps, and Waze. And they have implemented Bluetooth 4.2, where GM/Bose is still using a very old 2.x (I can't remember exact version)

The Bose radio supports phone integration over Bluetooth, the same old technology that has been around for 10+ years. They don't support audio steaming, that feature comes from Android Auto.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
So much misinformation in this thread.

Wireless AA uses WiFi. Period. Has absolutely nothing to do with Bluetooth and never has. So, BT performance is meaningless here.

The Bose radio doesn't support audio streaming? On what planet? I literally just walked out to my truck, my phone connected via BT (not connected via USB at all), and started streaming Spotify without a problem.

BT in these trucks is only for phone, SMS, and audio streaming (nothing to do with AA).

AA is fully functional over USB.

Wireless AA uses WiFi in every vehicle that has wireless AA support. Bluetooth is irrelevant.

Hope this helps clear things up. I thought it was clear before, but some other folks decided to chime in with misinformation.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts

Wireless AA uses WiFi. Period. Has absolutely nothing to do with Bluetooth and never has. So, BT performance is meaningless here.

The Bose radio doesn't support audio streaming? On what planet? I literally just walked out to my truck, my phone connected via BT (not connected via USB at all), and started streaming Spotify without a problem.

BT in these trucks is only for phone, SMS, and audio streaming (nothing to do with AA).

Wireless AA uses WiFi in every vehicle that has wireless AA support. Bluetooth is irrelevant.

Hope this helps clear things up. I thought it was clear before, but some other folks decided to chime in with misinformation.
How do you get AA to connect to a phone via the WiFi? My phone picks up the truck's WiFi but AA doesn't connect unless the phone is plugged in. In fact, AA doesn't even appear on the truck's screen unless the phone is plugged in. Don't construe this as an argument, if I'm missing something, I want to know!

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
How do you get AA to connect to a phone via the WiFi? My phone picks up the truck's WiFi but AA doesn't connect unless the phone is plugged in. In fact, AA doesn't even appear on the truck's screen unless the phone is plugged in. Don't construe this as an argument, if I'm missing something, I want to know!
Wireless AA only works with radios that support it. Our trucks have WiFi but they don't support wireless AA. I was just saying that for vehicles where wireless AA is supported that it uses WiFi and has nothing to do with Bluetooth, any mention of Bluetooth and wireless AA being related in any way was just adding to the confusion in this thread.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom S.

·
Registered
75 Posts

AA does not work over WiFi with the Bose system. At least not on a 2017.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts